News: 2019 Media, FO, and in season discussion thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    If Olsen/Kasper hasn’t learned that we need 3 deep at fullback given our tactics they aren’t paying attention. It’s probably the most physically demanding position on DCU. I just wonder who plays there after these two.

shawn12011, GumbyG and Winoman repped this.
  2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Easy -- Arriola, he's the fix for anything that Olsen effs up.

3. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still hoping the answer is Beitashour.

Eastern Bear repped this.
  4. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Apparently we are actually talking to Lozano now that LAFC is out of the picture.

He’d be a massive DP spend for DCU. I don’t get how we’d spend here, but not last window to salvage the best team we’ve had in eons.

5. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Why would Lozano come to DC? Not even a decent paycheck is worth it, everyone’s stock drops

6. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United

Our video production budget must have been syphoned from the ruptured FLO deal. Still bittersweet seeing media interviews without Lindsay Simpson but I guess they have to move on somehow.

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  7. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I listened to a podcast with Gressel in which he was asked about playing right back. He said he could/would, but would rather not. The interviewer then asked if he thought he was "the best crosser from the right side in MLS." Gressel's answer was modest, but the fact that it was asked convinces me that he would be wasted if we played him that far back, even though our fullbacks can and do overlap on occasion. I think he has to play further up the field on the right.

8. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    If DCU really is looking at paying him 700K per year, it can't be to play RB.

benni... and Winoman repped this.
  9. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I can see Gressel and Arriola playing side by side at CM and Winger and switching a lot during the game. If those two could gel along with their RB it would be very difficult to defend. You could frustrate defenses by creating overloads on the right that would allow Gressel to switch the ball over to Asad/Kamara across field for some one on ones.

Winoman, fatbastard and John L repped this.
  10. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and don't forget Arriola has lined up on the left several times for the USMNT.

Winoman repped this.
  11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he played better in the middle for us than he did on the outside - but that was pretty good too ;)
    That makes Eastern Bear's suggestion interesting to me.

Winoman repped this.
  12. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they can get the "Harlem Globetrotters Weave" going. :)

GumbyG repped this.
  13. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Has this been discussed?

I thought all the talk was about a shifting numbers and a brokered deal that had too many hands in the pot, that wasn't going to net enough money to make the deal worth while or that Kasper outright f_cked the deal up. I don't ever recall someone saying Levien walked in at the end asking for another million bucks.

14. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Goff has always been the source for the "it's complicated" story so Ives' take wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Dizi and UnitedBorn repped this.
  15. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to remember that Goff is a publicist not a reporter.

Dizi repped this.
  16. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Not terribly surprised. The idea that our bad owner would ruin a good thing isn’t much of a stretch.

tallguy repped this.
  17. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pablo seemed to be dialed in on the whole Acosta saga. I’m sure he would’ve mentioned something like that if it were true.

griffin1108 repped this.
  18. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I thought I heard something at the time that DC did ask for more at the end, but considering most of the brass at PSG didn’t have Acosta on their radar until the meeting it’s likely the lowball offer was going to be the only one extended.

Thx,

Jay!

19. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of - Lucharoo bagged goals today.

Dizi and Winoman repped this.
  20. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Pablo is cool, but if the truth is negative, he wont hammer down on it.

Which is why you never hear anything negative about Ben or the higher ups.

21. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I see Pablo as flawed also in that his personal grievances/allegiances get in the way of his objective reporting. Following him on Twitter made that obvious. I assumed he would hammer DCU for mismanagement as he clearly does not like the FO from Levien to Kasper.

UnitedBorn, QuietSide and benni... repped this.
  22. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on your definition of "flawed". I like him for that exact reason.
    If flawed means he's an imperfect narrator, sure, but his personal grievances/allegiances are part of what make his tweets hilarious and interesting.
    I agree that if he had learned something about Levien screwing up the Acosta PSG process, I assume he'd write about it unless he promised whoever he learned it from that it was off the record.

Dizi repped this.
  23. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Did you read his piece on Audi Field and the "improvements?" Right now, Maurer is the best soccer beat writer in DC. He's bilingual and willing to put stuff out there.

Dizi repped this.
  24. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Hands-down Maurer is the best writer DCU has ever had covering the team. I appreciated Goff for his service to the sport/our club but he adds too much subjective opinion to topics that should be pure fact-based reporting.

Maurer has covered the team in a far more balanced way. Reporting clearcut truth about the Lindsay Simpson fiasco at a critical time for DCU, as mentioned above...getting updates on all the work needed for Audi Field, the Lucho PSG saga and tons more. There are few times when he might seem uninterested in pursuing an angle we fans would hammer at but he's transparent (he genuinely thinks Ben has done well on the limited budget we operated with for years; also claims not to be a supporter of DCU iirc...just covers them and has obviously built relationships while doing so)

Now, on topic, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the exact details Galarcep posted. By all impartial accounts he seems to be right that DCU bungled the negotiations and PSG back away from the table as a result.

In the words of Acosta (reported by Maurer):
    Can't find the article (mabye it was a Q&A session) but Pablo recently aired his view that DCU FO were to blame for the failed contract talks...he didn't specify whether that meant Kasper or Levien

From what i know, if he knew more than that he would say it without fear of reprisal.

Eastern Bear repped this.
  25. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    No doubt Pablo is the best that has ever covered DCU, but that list is fairly short. I subscribe to the Atlantic mostly for him and Joe Urquhart.

My only problem with Pablo as a reporter is that he provides plenty of public ammunition to suspect that his reporting is motivated by his disappointment/dislike of certain decision makers at DCU/MLS. Could his positive opinions of others shape his reporting too? I have my concerns. I prefer a neutral observer in my coverage, but people who cover the news are changing.