News: 2019 Media, FO, and in season discussion thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about the more heart = more goals argument, but I thought Felipe played his heart out.

2. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    If a substitute outside defender hadn't screwed up monumentally late in the game TWICE giving up the tying goals BOTH times, we would have finished higher in the standings.

3. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Well shit. If I had to put a number I. The back of a shirt he’d be well up the list. There will be a new home jersey and Canouse who shares a number with little PSU, might be tempted to follow suit ins United kit. Birnbaum has and will be around for a while as long as he doesn’t try to make too much of the knock on effect of what central defender deals have been signed in the last year or two. He’s come out the last 2 seasons and put 2017 behind him nicely. He’d be a possibility although little dude still wears his ninja turtle away shirt with 15 on the back. Mira and Moreno are good players but not the most charismatic guys out there.

4. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    If Rooney had played up to his 2018 standards, his jersey would have out sold everyone else. Even after his announcement.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
  6. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    And there are people who think its a good idea for us to play 3-4 games on that field before XFL replaces it. After MNUFC players saying that the field at Allianz was in poor shape of U of Minnesota played on it, I can't help but think that having XFL play in our stadium, we're risking the health of the players and decreasing the value of the product on the field. Now I know they don't give an F about the product on the field, but its pretty crass to just send the players out there because they want to make a buck.

Eastern Bear and Winoman repped this.
  7. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Welcome to capitalism. When has an owner of a business ever given two ********s about his/her employees? They are integers of production and their death or maiming is calculated into the business plan.

fatbastard, tallguy, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  8. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    You wanted a professional soccer team. Instead we have a professional sports/entertainment franchise. This is what they. They maximize revenue streams.

Remember that great parking lot converted into a beer and sausage garden last year? This year it was a parking lot.

Remember that stadium you wanted? Well, we got one built on land useless for anything else, sandwiched in between huge power stations to the north and southeast.

Did anyone seriously expect that lacrosse tournament would be the exception?

9. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    There’s the main fallacy. It might be DC United’s home stadium, but they’re nothing more then a tenant who gets a better revenue stream. Certainly nothing like the command the Nats have at Sponsorless Park.

Thx,

Jay!

Winoman repped this.
  10. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I only call if that because refuse to use the corporate name

11. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    There is a fascinating thread over in DCU Reddit about financial mismanagement within the organization. Something to do with lawsuits, missed payments, double payments, and a clear sense that that the business side is a mess.

Remember Taylor Twellman: Is DC United in a position to actually manage and fully exploit a persona like Wayne Rooney? Apparently we can't handle managing our vendors.

(There is a Martin Austermuelle tweet related to this.)

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  12. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that confirms what most of us surmised about this ownership group: the gross incompetence is staggering.

Eastern Bear, sitruc and tallguy repped this.
  13. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The business side has all of the low-quality interns.

Winoman repped this.
  14. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    It also explains the due diligence done on Flo.

usadcu, Eastern Bear, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  15. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was struck by the amount they're paying for off-off-brand copiers, let alone that they'd pay twice for each of them.

I closed the tab I read the suit on so I can't remember their names, but all 3 companies sound shady (four if you count DC Soccer, LLC ;))

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  16. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    DCU's General Counsel is a former sports agent -- like its managing partner. Note that the "sponsorship" to be paid by CapX was really $0, because DCU had committed to purchase services from them equal to the sponsorship. So, what was the purpose of the sponsorship? One could infer shenanigans.

Question of the day -- what is the difference between DCU's FO and Redskins' FO. The latter is incompetent and mean, the former is just incompetent.

Oh yeah, where does the Lindsay Simpson story fit into any of this? I see her Twitter account features UMd soccer and she did one broadcast for BTN in August.

Winoman and Eastern Bear repped this.
  17. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh come on. There is no such thing as land in DC that is "useless for anything else," especially right by the river.

That area was going to explode with or without a stadium. It was the last place on the river in DC that is not developed or developing.

18. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Some weird voting numbers.

Hamid clobbered everybody with the media voters but got killed by players votes, wth whom he performed dismally.

Purely speculative but I wonder if his comments about being better than Guzan and Johnson (which btw are irrefutably true) played poorly with players and great with media? I can't think of any other reason those numbers would be so outta whack. BTW, the 14% of players who thought Guzan was the GOTY should have their franchise revoked in the future. He's not even in the top third.

majspike, shawn12011, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I was thinking the same. Some folks took offense to that and i'm sure their teammates voted in solidarity against him for that.

Winoman repped this.
  20. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    And perhaps the media wants players who are willing to say stuff?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I haven't looked at reddit, but I read the suit. The level of incompetence on display in it was incredible. The team was making excuses about a guy not having been around for long.

Winoman repped this.
  22. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United

Have a link? I’m not a Reddit guy but this sounds interesting.

23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Eastern Bear and Winoman repped this.
  24. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course this isn’t surprising to anyone. DC United is a joke in all facets.