2019 Match Day MLS Conference Semifinals: (2) Atlanta United FC v. (3) Union, October 24, 2019 p/d/p

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by cwelch999, Oct 21, 2019.

?

Predict The Outcome: Atlanta United FC v. Union

Poll closed Oct 24, 2019.
  1. Win

40.0%
  2. Loss

60.0%
  1. cwelch999

cwelch999 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG] VS. [​IMG]

DATE / TIME:
    Thursday, October 24, 2019
    8:00 PM EDT

MATCH PREVIEW:
    MLS Match Preview

VENUE:
    [​IMG]
    Mercedes-Benz Stadium
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Tickets

GAMETIME FORECAST:

[​IMG]
    Dreary*
    Temp: 57°
    Feels Like: 56°
    (Retractable roof stadium)

TELEVISION BROADCAST:

ESPN2
    COMCAST: Channels 851 HD, 16 SD
    Verizon FiOS: Channels 574 HD, 74 SD

CURRENT MLS STANDINGS
    MLS INJURY REPORT
    MLS DISCIPLINE REPORT

LAST MEETING:

Saturday, August 31, 2019
    Talen Energy Stadium / Chester, Pennsylvania
    Philadelphia Union 3
    - 1 Atlanta United FC
    MLS Matchcenter

MLS PLAYOFF BRACKET

*No, really, accuweather.com says "Dreary"!​

OldRetiredCoach repped this.
  2. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to predict. They've had good results against this club so far this year. But they have a great home field advantage down there. I honestly think Union are a better team and would win at home or on a neutral field. But I think the home crowd will be too much. Atlanta 3 - 2 Union.

3. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The upper deck is not being sold for this game so there will be (only) 44,000 rather than 72,000 fans at the game.

I'll be at the game. Anyone else going?

cwelch999 repped this.
  4. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Union can win, but I don't think they will. I think it's more likely Atlanta comes out hot like Red Bull but don't collapse.

5. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder whether Bedoya will play. While the official statement was "cramping," it's really that his quad injury has not healed fully from the injury in Columbus.

Kacper was walking around the concourse prior to the game (by himself and fans were not bothering/recognizing him!). He appeared to be walking fine. My best guess is that he will be on the bench for this game.

6. djramone

djramone Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also can be seen on the field celebrating Monteiro's "goal" with the team.

7. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will they fly charter or commercial? Hopefully Sugardaddy checks with Bedoya's quadriceps before deciding.

cwelch999 repped this.
  8. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there any yellow card accumulation rules for the playoffs?

9. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OwlSaver repped this.
  10. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel giddy from yesterday so I picked win.

DOOP.

cwelch999 repped this.
  11. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yellow card suspensions are so dumb. so 1 yellow in 2 games gets you a 1 game suspension. a red card gets you the same suspension. makes no sense

lopezzzz repped this.
  13. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted win here. I really think we can be the better team. My only hesitation is how the players' legs are. It was not a great night for muscles, and then to have to go 120 minutes - even at the elite level it can catch up to you.

I'd love to see us burst out of the gate, but I have a feeling due to the tight timeline, Curtin may hold the reins a bit tighter in this one.

Figuring we can eke out a 2-1 win.

14. heynowref

heynowref Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    according to twitter it looks like charter.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">PHL ✈️ ATL<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PhillyOrNothing?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#PhillyOrNothing</a> <a href="https://t.co/HCAujLTy6S">pic.twitter.com/HCAujLTy6S</a></p>&mdash; X - Philadelphia Union (@PhilaUnion) <a href="
    ">October 22, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if I'm reading this right, it's impossible for someone from a #1 seed to get yellow accumulation. If they get two yellows in a row, oh well, it resets for the final. A lot of little advantages that the #1 seeds get. The obvious ones like all games at home and no 1st round game at all. But they also get an extra day of rest both for the conference quarterfinal and final. And, apparently, aren't subjected to yellow accumulation like the members of the unwashed MLS proletariat.

slitz, drewuke, Union42 and 3 others repped this.
  16. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While Jim may be tempted to go 4231 after the win, I think that much of the reason for the second half comeback was the 442 in the first half and the subs. Ilsinho did not appear on the score sheet but his presence opened up the field because he attracted two and sometimes three Red Bull players to him. Bringing in Ilsinho, Fabian and Fafa and spreading the field against st a tired team is what led to the comeback.

I think that Jim starts the same lineup as on Sunday but with Fafa in for Wooten.

I would be very surprised if Kacper can bounce back from injury and be available to start. At best, he will be on the bench.

If Ale can't go (I still think that the alleged "cramping" really is "injured quad"), the options are to move Aaronson to Ale's position and start Fabian, but I think that Jim would be more conservative and use Warren instead.

Thoughts?

17. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I am getting ahead of myself. But, if Toronto stun NYCFC tonight and your prediction comes true, we get a second home playoff. That would be nice. I will be watching tonight.

cwelch999 repped this.
  18. ronchito

ronchito Member

May 19, 2011
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Predicting a 3-0 loss with 2-3 goals by Josef Martinez, sparking yet another offseason debate about the unsustainable lack of DP quality in the Union's moneyball model. Also, tired legs.

I'd be overjoyed to be proven wrong tomorrow night!

19. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's obvious to replace Wooten given the big fat zero he contributed Sunday. I fear you are right about Kacper though. The silence about him is deafening. In which case Fafa or Fabian are the options to replace Wooten in the 442.

If Ale is out and Creavalle is in, I don't think the team has enough offensive threat to get through. Our only hope is to go at the depleted Atlanta defense.

20. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ale is starting. That was a cramp. You don't stretch a calf muscle to help a quad......each time he went down in extra time teammates and trainers were stretching his calf, like they do when any player is suffering from a cramp.

Kacper won't play. They listed him as having a stress reaction, and those take a very long time to heal. Couple that fact with playing on turf....it would be a huge surprise if he plays, not to mention a huge risk.

They should go with the same lineup and the 4-4-2. Atlanta has struggled against teams that press them. I get the flack towards Wooten. Fact is that Santos and Fafa up top would be redundant, and the Union wouldn't have ANY hold up play then. Wooten provides hold up play, or at a minimum the threat of hold up play. Plus two big bodies wearing on an inexperienced center back pairing for 45-60 minutes is a good thing. Then you bring in the speed burner in Fafa against their tired legs.

Maybe you start Fabian in place of Aronson. Then bring the youthful legs on in the second half to run at the tired Defense.

21. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting to note that in spite of playing 120 minutes on Sunday, most of the Union's attacking players didn't play more than 70 minutes (Santos is the lone exception, and he didn't go the full 120 either).

I think Curtin has to find a way to start Fabian and Aaronson.

Fabian is riding high after scoring the game winner, is well-rested, a crafty veteran who can take advantage of inexperienced defenders, and a big-game player.

Aaronson has done well against Atlanta this year, is also well rested after Sunday, and will have a high energy level to wear down Atlanta's defenders.

Thinking maybe Wooten and Fabian to start up top with Aaronson underneath, with Wooten playing the role of battering ram for 60 minutes with the intent of bringing Ilsinho and Santos on for him and Aaronson/Fabian at that time when the defenders are tired and worn down.

22. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This NYCFC stadium situation is such a joke. Their baseball stadium is unavailable, so they move to another baseball stadium. It looks even more goofy. Blue Etihad tarps draped over the walls. The giant fly ball net obscures the camera on one half of the field. Dear god let Toronto win so there are no more games here.

23. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Request granted!

If the Union can win in Atlanta, we will host the conference finals.

cwelch999 and OwlSaver repped this.
  24. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Just hopping on to say: hahahahaHaHAHA ******** NYCFC

That is all, go U

cwelch999 repped this.
  25. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur