PBP: 2019 Match Day #6: Union v. FC Dallas, April 6, 2019 p/d/p

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by cwelch999, Mar 29, 2019.

?

Predict The Outcome: Union v. FC Dallas

Poll closed Apr 6, 2019.
  1. Win

34.2%
  2. Loss

31.6%
  3. Tie

34.2%
  1. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jim made some good subs last night. They changed their shape and tactics to suit the situation. They won a game from behind. The game winning goal was a beautiful display of skill. WTF is going on? Was Earnie the problem all along? Is this team actually good?

I'll probably still choose "loss" next week, but I have to admit this is encouraging.

2. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely encouraging. But for now I’ll remain cautiously optimistic.

3. djramone

djramone Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I strongly suspect Monteiro will start next weekend. Curtin has hinted he'll roll out a more conservative lineup on the road at times. LA would seem to fit that case.

Phillyspur repped this.
  4. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was that the first time we beat Dallas in league play?

5. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monteiro should be starting. Aaronson has been good; however, Monteiro is a better fit in the midfield if Fabian (AM) and Medunjanin (DM) are automatic starters. The goal by Dallas was created by Fabian trying to follow the run of Hollingshead (LB) into the box - Medunjanin was nowhere near the play.

Tanner's early returns have been good. His personnel moves have been good (1. trading all of the draft picks - Wagner has been solid as has Monteiro in his sub appearances, Coronel has looked decent in goal for Steel and his one Union game. 2. the bigger $ moves [Fabian, Santos] still have more to prove - Fabian needs to go back to blasting PKs to the corner like he did in the Toronto game instead of the weak ones he took against KC and DAL). Loosening the rigidity around Stewart's 4-2-3-1 formation has also helped.

After years of futility, Union beat them 3-1 in 2017 (last time Dallas played here).

Dulliwhig, thomas19064, mattylip and 3 others repped this.
  6. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    So, we’re all agreed Fabian doesn’t take another PK?

It’s not like they’ve been great saves.

He looks like a golfer with the yips.

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  7. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't able to be there last night, as I had to work. Watched it on DVR when I got home. Impressive performance against a very good team. FCD's discipline and tactics were impressive from such a young team. The Union's ability to get a come from behind win, and actually break down a bunkering team was something they would never have done in past season's. In season's past last night would have been a 2-0 loss.

This team has a lot of talent and potential. It will be an interesting ride this season. If Curtin can't get this team into the top 4-5 in the east, then a change will be made. Baring catastrophic injuries this team should finish in or near the top 4 in the east. Especially given the early struggles of RBNY, and NYCFC.