2019 Match Day #30 Union v. Los Angeles FC, September 14, 2019 p/d/p

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by cwelch999, Sep 6, 2019.

?

Predict The Outcome: Union v. Los Angeles FC

Poll closed Sep 14, 2019.
  1. Win

33.3%
  2. Loss

50.0%
  3. Tie

16.7%
  1. cwelch999

cwelch999 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG] VS. [​IMG]

DATE / TIME:
    Saturday, September 14, 2019
    7:30 PM EDT

MATCH PREVIEW:
    MLS Match Preview

VENUE:
    [​IMG]
    Talen Energy Stadium
    Chester, Pennsylvania
    Tickets

GAMETIME FORECAST:
    [​IMG]
    Thunderstorms
    Temp: 73°
    Feels Like: 74°

TELEVISION BROADCAST:

PHL17 (Local)
    COMCAST: Channel 807 HD, 7 SD
    Verizon FiOS: Channel 517 HD, 17 SD

CURRENT MLS STANDINGS
    MLS INJURY REPORT
    MLS DISCIPLINE REPORT

LAST MEETING:

Saturday, June 30, 2018
    Banc of California Stadium / Los Angeles, California
    Los Angeles FC 4 - 1 Philadelphia Union
    MLS Matchcenter

2. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think LA leaves some talent at home, Union cruise to a 2-0 win against a B squad.

Then they blow it the last 4 games, because Union.

Starpork and lopezzzz repped this.
  3. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, I'm not entirely sold on us losing this match. In fact I think we may win this. Unfortunately I also think NYCFC, and their extra wins this week, leave us firmly out of the 1st place question.

cwelch999 repped this.
  4. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Vela plays, Union probably lose.

If Vela doesn't play, Union probably win.

Chesco United repped this.
  5. sentrido

sentrido Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    LAF is a west coast team playing their second east coast game in a row on the road for points they don't really need. We are playing at home after a "break" for points we really need and we should be good enough this year to not blow this kind of game like we have in the past.

cwelch999 and Starpork repped this.
  6. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If NYC finish first, then any path we would take to the cup goes through Yankee Stadium. This alone should be motivation enough to be going all out for wins down the stretch. We're in the playoffs already, not far from clinching a home game. I would love to be playing for first in the final regular season game at Talen.

OwlSaver, Union42, cwelch999 and 2 others repped this.
  7. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS should make NYCFC play their playoff matches in Harrison, NJ. Yankee Stadium is an embarrassment to the beautiful game.

I've not seen LAFC play yet this season. Hopefully the Union bring their 'A' game and come up with the three points.

Starpork, sentrido, Union42 and 2 others repped this.
  8. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm thinking of attending Saturday's match. I'm thinking of taking SEPTA for the first time to the stadium. How often do the shuttle buses run to the Chester Transportation Center?

9. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't like this post enough times. Single elimination games should be played on regulation fields. At a minimum, make the Yankees move their damn pitcher's mount for a playoff game!

Starpork and LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  10. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LAFC has tied at home, lost at home, and tied on the road at Orlando in the last three games. They are not invincible. If the Union come out strong, they can beat LAFC on Saturday.

LiverpoolFanatic and cwelch999 repped this.
  11. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LAFC only had Vela for 60 minutes during that period. He has been training this week and is expected to play on Saturday.

12. sentrido

sentrido Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Taking a real look at where things stand it's clear this team is legit. I think it's just hard to say after so many years of mucky muck. Instead of desperately trying to even get in the playoffs we are in and now fighting for home field advantage.

Bring it on home!

Phillyspur and jaykoz3 repped this.
  13. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Chesco United repped this.
  14. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Vela is playing. Changing to loss.

15. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was a hell of a game. I’ll take the tie, but man I thought we had the game winner a few times in the last 10 mins.

cwelch999 repped this.
  16. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll gladly take this result. Atlanta dropped 3 against the Crew. That puts the Union in the driver's seat for second.

17. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    1-1 FT. Excellent effort and could easily have been a win. Organization and commitment are as strong as I've ever seen for a Union 11. LA have scary good attacking talent and they were contained. Anyone got any fingernails left?

18. SOBtilIdie

SOBtilIdie Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word on why Fabian was left out. They said on the broadcast that Curtain was gonna comment on it in the post match press conference.

Decent effort. The U for sure held their own. Gaddis had a great game on defense. Would have been great to get 3 pts but if you told me we would get 4 pts against ATL and LAFC before these games I would have taken it no questions asked.

19. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that Fabian was out for missing a meeting, but I don't think he should have started anyway.

SOBtilIdie repped this.
  20. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Fun game, right up until the idiots around me in 138 decided they had enough to drink in order for beer muscles and no brains to come out. I'll explain more later I guess cause I know there will be questions. But I'm going to enjoy the result and have a beer now.

21. cwelch999

cwelch999 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, this is absolutely true, but they looked good enough in both games that it's still (unfairly, I guess) disappointing that they didn't take all 6. It'll be tough to catch NYCFC for the #1 spot, down 5 points, but it's also nice to know they can compete with anyone.

22. christie3

christie3 Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Rising Sun, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was right there with you. I'm not sure how it started, but it sounded like people were upset the one guy was waving the flag most if the match. Alcohol just escalated it. I want to know what sent the capo off because he was ready to fight which is very inappropriate from a SOB leader

23. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    That was the catalyst for it. And, to be fair, that flag did suck. I think I missed around half of the second half because it did cover almost the entire field when it was being waved. If the whole section was waving flags it wouldn't have been much of an issue, but when one person is waving a flag that blocks just one particular group of people from seeing the game? That is going to make people mad. Their response to it just made the guy say screw these people and wave the flag longer.

Amazingly though, it wasn't even him that was involved in the fracas. That started because someone rows back from him got tired of their yelling to "put the flag down" and told them something along the lines of "shut the f*** up" and pointing at them. That led to one of those guys (Guy A from here on out) coming down and saying "why don't you point at me and say something now tough guy". Which the guy did instead of trying to deescalate the situation. Then his buddy with him took it on himself to shove Guy A in the chest hard enough to send him back almost to the railing. From there those two got into it and one of the people with Guy A came down and he started yelling stuff and getting into it with the guy that started the shoving. They then went over the seats in a grapple and ended up on the stairs. At that point people from all over the place were in there trying to separate people or to yell at the other side because they were the @$$holes of the situation (not realizing they were all @$$holes).

I could get into the reasons why this all happened but someone from the SOB leadership came over and talked to me after the game and I laid out my issues as to why it reached this point. The seeds for this sort of thing to happen were sowed a long while ago. I'm hoping that it is a wake-up call as to the underlying issues that need to be addressed.

He was mad because during one of the biggest games of the year and during the dying minutes people are fighting instead of cheering on the team. He was over the top though and considering he had no idea what the hell had happened to cause the issue.

cwelch999 repped this.