2019 Match Day #24: Montréal Impact v. Union, July 27, 2019 p/d/p

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by cwelch999, Jul 21, 2019.

?

Predict The Outcome: Montréal Impact v. Union

Poll closed Jul 27, 2019.
  1. Win

37.5%
  2. Loss

25.0%
  3. Tie

37.5%
  1. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Gold Cup break killed the momentum of this team.

2. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Unions August Slump has come early this year.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  3. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    This is just one of those years where the East is bad and we are also bad but because everyone else is bad we look relatively sorta competitive.

Thus I maintain: The Union are a Bad Soccer Team.

4. Ascalz

Ascalz BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say the Union are average to above average, the problem is, the rest of the East is starting to wake up and play to their talent level. Currently the Union are 1st in the East with 39 points and the last playoff spot is New England/Montreal with 33 points. Toronto sits just outside with 32 points.

I.e. the Union are a mere 3 game slide from potentially being not only out of first place, but below the playoff line.

They have some winnable games coming up against DC (twice), Chicago (away), and Houston (home). However, they have Atlanta and LAFC after that stretch and I think we can safely conclude that both games (as of right now) will be losses at home. Hopefully Montiero is back next week as well.

I wanted to stop watching the game as soon as Montreal scored in the opening of the 2nd half. At that point it was clear the team had no heart to do anything in this game. I could rag on Ray Gaddis but the entire defense seemed to forget that they were supposed to function as a unit.

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  5. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    kicked them all the way up to the roof of the mouth with that performance.

Maybe you can burn the tape of one game but thinking maybe you want to look at this one. Maybe watch it a few times until the players feel like making an effort and coach decides not to trot out the same predictable lineup.

Oh, and you might want to lock up Miro now since he seems pretty critical to the team's success.

6. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just one more example of how Haris' defensive liabilities cripple this team. I don't care if he can pass the ball (with his left foot of course) up a gnat's ass, we need a smart defender with pace who can break up attacks. Instead we have midfielders who have to drop back to help him out and central defenders who have to move way upfield trying to snuff out attacks.

And Creavalle can't cut it either.

Cherry Hill SOB repped this.
  7. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haris never was and never has been a defender. This is Curtin forcing a square peg into a round hole again.

8. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Montreal are losing 4-1 at the half against Colorado. That just adds insult to injury for this loss.