2019 Leagues Cup

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, May 29, 2019.

1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    https://www.houstondynamo.com/leaguescup

This is new competition between MLS and LigaMX teams. This year there will be 8 teams playing in a straight knock-out tournament held in the U.S. later this summer.

Teams
    MLS: Houston, Chicago, LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake
    LigaMX: America, Cruz Azul, Tijuana, Tigres

The Dynamo will host Club America on July 24 at 7:30 pm.
    More details TBA.

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    2019 Leagues Cup

Quarterfinals

Tuesday, July 23
    (1) Chicago Fire v. Cruz Azul
    (2) LA Galaxy v. Club Tijuana

Wednesday, July 24
    (3) Houston Dynamo v. Club America 7:30 pm
    (4) Real Salt Lake v. Tigres UANL

Semifinals
    Tuesday, August 20
    TBD, 1 v 2
    TBD, 3 v 4

Final
    Wednesday, September 18
    TBD

3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    http://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/3863630/mls-and-liga-mx-announce-leagues-cup

4. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how were/are participating teams decided?

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'd say they picked cities with large Mexican populations, but RSL doesn't really fit.

8. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    C'mon, we all know that either way the stadium will be packed with Club America supporters.

9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, but on the day that the tournament is announced with some fanfare - ostensibly to build support for MLS teams with a crossover audience (still not likely) - your head coach declares it a reserve tournament!!! It’s one thing to think it and then throw out a lineup full of Kevin Garcia-type players on game day but to declare it a reserve match 8 weeks out before a single ticket is sold is nuts.

CeltTexan repped this.
  10. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you freaking blame him? I wouldn't let any of my starting roster touch the field in this competition. We are trying to not look like a shit show in MLS and possible repeat in the US Open Cup. The Gold Cup is already taking our best players for a month, making them play that is only going to ware them out even more. 75% of the people coming to that game will be there to see CA not our team anyways. I will go just to see Club America play and the CA Ultra's

11. tex0313

tex0313 Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    not to mention its another fixture in a very congested summer schedule of playing games on less than a weeks rest fairly regularly

naranjableeder repped this.
  12. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn’t matter, can’t believe MLS is happy with a participant coach crapping on the event on the day they announce it.

*rey* repped this.
  13. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does matter. Protecting your roster that is geared toward WINNING THE MLS CUP is far more important than some attempt to get Mexican fans to watch MLS Teams..... news flash most won't. He is just willing to say what most of those coaches are thinking.

That competition is a distraction from the goal and what really matters.

14. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s stupid of him to say it publicly. It’s funny because he’s mostly banned media from most of practice as I understand it which doesn’t help getting media interest up in the club but in one case where they are trying to drum up interest (this League Cup event) he tells a media member that it’s essentially meaningless to him and the club.

Wilmer acts like he’s accomplished a lot in MLS at times which is not really true. Can’t pull the Bruce Arena routine when you have nothing to show for it (and spare me the USOC accolades)

ElNaranja, naranjableeder and *rey* repped this.
  15. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    ^^^^ !!!!!!!!!

yeah, throw the Marketing Dept and ticket sales a bone and find abetter way to say it.

16. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    I’ll pass. I have 0 interest in Liga MX, just like most Liga MX fans have 0 interest in the MLS.

17. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    #17 *rey*, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
    you're either a masochist (most MLS is unwatchable) or a Central American :)D. Liga Mx is pretty decent for this side of the world.

18. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree in that sense. I didn't say it wasn't stupid, just that it's pointless and opens us up for more injuries and/or fatigue.

Ps.... I'd never throw winning the USOC around as a accolade, but as a team still something to be proud of when adding it with 2 MLS Cups.

19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t disagree that these are mostly meaningless friendlies (although that won’t stop Glenn Davis talking it up for the next 8 weeks) and coaches aren’t getting fired for losing in the League Cup, they get fired for not making playoffs.

But Wilmer has got to be smarter than cracking on it and declaring it a reserve match a week before the pre-sale!!

BTW, I actually liked Superliga, Dom emphasized it because at the time it paid out a higher bonus to the squad than MLS Cup did and far more than USOC.

naranjableeder and *rey* repped this.
  20. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    I don't question the quality of Liga MX, but since I have no connections to Mexico I have no interest in their soccer... sorry, amigo. I follow La Liga because of family tradition (Sevilla) and Campeonato Brasileiro (Palmeiras) because I married into a Paulista family. Add River Plate (ARG) and Arsenal (EPL) because that's what was available on the local TV when I was a kid.

I was born in Panama, so technically speaking it's Central America, although we don't consider ourselves central american because of historical and cultural reasons. Not dissin' the fine futbol played in the region... and after all, soccer is kind of a new thing in Panama... we're good at baseball, boxing and horse racing.

21. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    This has to be basically slapped together last minute, which means more for us than MX.

It looks to me like the teams involved were picked from the list remaining after eliminating (a) teams playing the Sunday before (b) teams playing the Saturday after and (c) Canadian teams playing in their tournament. The last one means this doesn't turn out much different looking than Superliga despite that evolution that would make this different to see. I'd like to have seen a Canadian team involved.

Cup games and friendlies are always more novelty and buyer beware, given our history of putting league first. But this is not usually spelled out until the last minute for, among other things, competitive reasons. You usually don't want to horribly telegraph who to expect showing up so the other team can plan.

And of course for marketing reasons both us and MLS probably wouldn't like a cold water bath tossed on ticket sales the day it's announced. It is, ironically, the honest "sell" -- here is the real value of that ticket before you buy it -- but we're used to the slicker alternative.

Bears reminding Cabrera was voted last in the league on whether coaches were liked.

22. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    As NB points out most of the ticket sales will be CA fans just happy to see the other team play

23. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    I have 0 interest in these particular teams but if I were in town I'd go. Only white dude in the stadium, leaning forward and trying to find cheap, talented purchases for the Dynamo. What better what to spend an evening?

24. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Every time I talk about fixture congestion in MLS and fatigue, my friends in Europe laugh. Granted, they don't have to travel like we do and roster depth tends to be greater (obviously especially at the top flight, but I'm talking lower league here too), but 3 matches per week is not abnormal. 50+ matches per season.

*rey* repped this.
  25. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iirc, first ever international match our Houston Dynamo played was a 1-0 victory against Club America at The Rob. Would be cool to keep beating on them all these years later on. Kinda cool to confront them again now that I think about it like this. Club America is as well the New York Yankees of Liga MX when spending power and biggest city n media pull is combined.