2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by SabreKhan, May 30, 2019.

1. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The draw for Atlanta United's first round (Round 4) is today at 11 AM Eastern. Likely opponents: Memphis 901 FC (USL), Charleston Battery (USL), or Orlando City (MLS). If those 4 teams are indeed our group, we'll definitely draw a USL opponent (the nice thing about the regional alignment is that there's not a bunch of MLS teams in our region).

The game is probably going to be scheduled 12 June.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  2. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll face our traditional US Open Cup opponent the Charleston Battery. But this time we're going to their house. We've beaten them two years in a row now. Time to make it 3.

Our pattern thus far in this tournament is to beat the Battery in the Fourth Round, and then lose to whoever we play in the Fifth Round.

3. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game will be played at MUSC Health Stadium in Charleston on June 11, 2019, at 7:30 Eastern.

Oddly, Atlanta United has re-posted their article from 2018 about the Fourth Round selection against the Battery.

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Tempted to try to make this one. Been so long since I was last in Charleston but I've always appreciated their support for the Battery.

Hope the Stripes win and we also get to see another non-MLS side. Not for the alleged easier opponent but for keeping the spirit of the competition vital and fresh.

5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Normally I'd consider this road trip as I have so many fond soccer memories of playing soccer tournaments in Chucktown. Everything from Labor Day tournaments to Indoor Brazilian Lowball (or something weird like that, I forgot what they called it). A couple of 10ks across the bridge too. I am to old to play tournaments now, but love to visit Charleston... a great road trip destination if you have never been.

6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Apparently the only way to watch this match is to subscribe to ESPN+. And ESPN has shut the local radio guys from live broadcasting the game too. I refuse to sign up for ESPN+ when I already pay for ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and ESPNews. Why does the MLS sell ESPN the rights to broadcasts when our games always seem to preempted by women's college softball. Beach volley ball I understand, but college softball?

7. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the rights to the US Open Cup are controlled by US Soccer. Considering how much attention the Cup gets country-wide, I'd be surprised if the rights were sold for much money, if any at all.

8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    So it should be a freebee for ESPN. If I switch over and they are airing bowling I'll know how much they care.

I suppose I'll sign up for the free ESPN+ subscription, but this is bullshit.

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No previews up on AJC or ATLUTD.com. No indications yet as to prospective lineup changes. Will offer more thoughts tomorrow as I've been focusing on WWC and U20 WC of late.

10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Okay, firstly I'm sorry I haven't done a match thread. If we feel we need to do that either someone can fire one up or I can do it tonight. Simply been busy with life and don't want to make one via my phone. I feel dirty, though.

Regardless the match is going forward so I will, too. Heading into tonight we know the following:

- Guzan, Gressel, and LGP won't be there according to the AJC.

- Pereira, Remedi, and Escobar are using 3 of the 5 international slots tonight.

- Everyone who's spoken about the tournament has implied the team is serious about advancing this year, and aiming to win it. Both for the trophy haul and the CL access. But they're unanimous in wanting to improve on the 2nd round exits from the past 2 seasons.

- Barco is back with the team but not yet back in training.

- The Battery's top scorer, Zeiko Lewis, is 1 of 2 players away on international duty. According to the ATLUTD.com preview the expected forward pairing for Charleston is 6'4" and 6'6"!

- They're expecting rain tonight, peaking just before kickoff and yielding temps in the high 70's with lots of humidity. Hopefully a nice ocean breeze will aid the setting.

Will ponder lineups and predictions later.

SabreKhan repped this.
  11. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So does Parkhurst get the run out at CB again, or is it Pogba and Robinson back there? Josef is still away with Venezuela, too. So, given our roster and the international slots available, here's my predicted lineup:

----------Pity--Villalba----------
    Pereira-Nagbe-Remedi-Meram
    Shea-Parky-Robs-Escobar
    -------------Kann------------

I'm pretty sure Meram does NOT take up an international slot, despite playing internationally for Iraq. Apparently, Villalba is also injured. So this is me just hoping it's not too bad.

If that's the lineup, it's not bad, especially against a USL team. We may get some youngsters out there, particularly in place of Shea, Pity, Parkhurst, and/or Villalba. But with the long breaks between games, I'd run out as close to the starting 11 as possible if it was me. Take no chances. Assuming we win, there's a full week until the next round.

12. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This should be used as an opportunity to get as many minutes for backups as possible. Later on you can play starters, but if the backups can't beat a USL team, they shouldn't be here.

I would put Parky at CB, just to give him some minutes there.

‐-------------Williams----------
    Pierera----Carlton---Meram
    ------Big Red------Goslin------
    Ambrose--Pogba---Parky---Wild
    ------------------Kann----------------

Escobar, Pity and Nagbe on the bench to come on if the game is in doubt.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Official Line up:

———-Williams————
    Pereira—Carleton—Pity
    ——-Nagbe—-Red——
    Ambrose————-Franco
    ——Pogba—-Miles——-
    ————Kann————-

Bench: Moore (G), Remedi, Parkhurst, Meram, Vasquez, Wild, Shea

...I really like this line up from FdB.

...I wish the Open Cup was a group stage tournament to provide these players more games.

14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So. Postponed, eh?

"Rain, rain, go away..."

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Makes you wonder why they didn't call that Columbus match off? Certainly the conditions couldn't have be worse in Charleston.

16. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A) Two different organizations at the helm, and in this case the USSF might be reacting in response to the first match.

B) Methinks the C-bus match was playable at the start and the refs decided to try and see it out. After all, the protocol for calling such a game off is strange new waters for most everyone.

17. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As posted by Cleazer in the USOC thread:

USSoccer just announced that Charleston and Atlanta will play Thursday night behind closed doors. (No time to hire staff and security to make it open to public.) At Kennesaw St, Atlanta's second home.

It will be streamed on ESPN+ though.

18. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be interested to find out who made the call that the field was "unplayable." That's a fairly extreme situation, especially given the fields MLS teams play on in CONCACAF tournaments.

19. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    It was Columbus match conditions times ten and I imagine the match officials made the call. It had been raining hard for 4 days and the entire town was underwater. Shirley, you aren't suggesting they should have played the game?

20. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He wasn't, and don't call him Shirley!

VFish repped this.
  21. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since this game is behind closed doors I'm surprised they didn't play it at noon. Charleston has a game this weekend. Earlier game would have let them head down to Tampa in time to get a full night in a hotel, instead of spending most of it on a bus.

22. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's an outdoor game. Hot as blazes at noon in the South.

...and we're already losing 0-1.

23. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Huh? Pleasant evening in Kennesaw and a 7:00 kickoff. Perfect conditions to watch a match... if only they'd have thought to sell tickets.

Bad mistake on the goal. I tuned in late. Who was that?

24. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think Franco.

25. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Yep, Franco... uncharacteristic mistake.