2019 Gold Cup roster/starter predictions?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by RalleeMonkey, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll go with what I want instead of what Berhalter will do...

*McKennie out*

GK Steffen, Horvath, Johnson, ...Guzan
    RB Yedlin, Lima, ...Moore
    CB Brooks, Miazga, Carter-Vickers, Long, ...Zimmerman, Ream
    LB Johnson, Robinson, ...Lovitz
    DM Adams, Trapp, ...Bradley
    MF Lletget, Pulisic, Roldan, Nagbe, ...Morales, Delgado
    RW Sargent, Arriola, ...Gall
    FW Zardes, Novakovich, ...Wood
    LW Altidore, Weah, ...Baird

yurch10 and rlrcpa repped this.
  2. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #152 gunnerfan7, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Then he's a bad talent evaluator. A blind man could see that Holmes offers more from the wing than Arriola or Morris. Hell, Mueller would too. You know, actual wingers?

Edit: Weah and Amon deserve a shout out there as well.

adam tash repped this.
  3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #153 IndividualEleven, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    A 23-man roster based on 3G's tactica; and personnel preferences(i.e., Bradley and Trapp are mandatory):
    433 with an underlapping, attacking rightback
    Arriola has done well at wingback and fullback.
    Morales, Bedoya, Roldan, Lichaj, Lovitz, DeLeon, Morrow and Nagbe deserve consideration.
    Most of the kids can focus on getting club playing time and working with the U20s/U23s.
    Lichaj will also cover LB.
    Ignore the bottom arrow.
    [​IMG]

4. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm having a hard time figuring out the last cut here for need, cap-tying interests, performance, etc.:

FW: Altidore, Zardes, Morris, Novakovich, Weah
    MF: Adams, McKennie, Roldan, Trapp, Mihailovic, Lletget, Pulisic, Boyd
    FB: Yedlin, F. Johnson, Arriola, Hollingshead
    CB: Miazga, Brooks, Long, EPB
    GK: Steffen, Horvath, Guzan

Conspicuous in his absence; Sargent may not be a necessity this tourney the way his minutes and somewhat play fell off for Werder. In addition he's not a dual and can play with the youth teams still. I may have dropped Weah if not for the former reason because a lot of the same arguments against apply.

Incidentally, 4 players are being cap-tied, and don't think any are reaches like the past when that's been a motive. Also could be a big tourney for Long to accumulate caps to make a move. Roldan if he doesn't choke and actually plays to his ability this time. Guess he's technically not cap-tied either, so make that five.

5. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Who are you cap tying besides Weah?

A. Robinson, CCV, and Duane Holmes are currently not cap tied and, imo, better options than Hollingshead, Djorde/Roldan, and probably EPB. EPB should be there too, but doesn't need to be cap tied.

This is where you can use the roster subs and bring Brooks, Pulisic, McKennie, Adams, Altidore, Yedlin in for the knock outs and look at other players and cap tie a few.

rlrcpa, TheHoustonHoyaFan and btlove repped this.
  6. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot Antonee Robinson for some reason. Yeah, I guess I'd take him over Hollingshead then. I like Ryan and I think he should be given a try eventually (heck, maybe take him over Fabian at this stage), but that was more about perceived necessity. Plus Robinson can be cap-tied.

Add him to the list. Who it already included were Novakovich, Mihailovic, Boyd, and Weah (come to think of it Roldan was cap-tied last GC). I value cap-tying somewhat, but I don't want to get drunk on the motive either, as that's proven a mistake in the past.

I think Holmes is overrated just for doing alright in part of a Championship season, but I wouldn't be overly against it. Same thing with giving Morales another shot. But Roldan still interests me more to see if he can play to his ability with a bigger sample in competitive matches. Makes it an easier choice if Wes isn't ready, although of course I'm rooting against that outcome.

As far as CCV goes, I think there are many far better options at that positions, with EPB you get versatility, and if I added another it would be Zimmerman or Miles Robinson who'd get caps to facilitate a move better too.

Patrick167 repped this.
  7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the midfielders in the 94-96 age group have all been found to be fairly mediocre. Polster, Hyndman, Zelalem, Acosta, Delgado. Now Roldan is getting the chance but just doesn't pass the eye test when with the national team. I'd say Hyndman, Acosta and Delgado have impressed more in their stints but no one is clamoring for them to return and now I think all those who rightly said Roldan never had a real chance can no longer make that claim. Lots of center mids with the U20/U23's will be getting their chance soon and seem to have their chances soon and seem to be more in the dynamic mold of the already there duo of McKennie and Adams. I'm not sure about the timing with some U20 and U23 action coming soon where a lot of these players will be going for the next 6 months so a few more place holders better impress quickly if they get any more chances but Mikhailovic, Mendez, Pomykol, Carleton, Servania, Durkin, Sands etc are coming and coming soon.

btlove, DHC1, largegarlic and 1 other person repped this.
  8. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I didn't realize Djorde was a dual national.

CCV is in that strange place where he seems to have been written off as over rated at 17 and dismissed. I know blow hards like Matt Doyle crap on him constantly to puff up players he likes.

But if you look at his age and what he is doing and where he is doing it, it is very impressive. I know people focus on leagues, but Swansea is a big club. Probably the biggest club in an entire country; and they have serious aspirations. He is starting, they are winning, and he is completing passes and winning duels at a high level. He played well in all his starts for the USMNT under Sarachan, which really only Tyler Adams and Josh Sargent can really claim. In the "doesn't panic with the ball" category, I think he is closer to Brooks than anyone else on the scale of Omar to Brooks.

With the 6 replacements rule, we can probably bring everyone I named and everyone you named.

To me, a guy that is just getting started in MLS, like Miles Robinson, is the kind of player that should work through the U23 team and not jump right to the senior team. I get your point about raising his profile, but if we keep the U23 team in Europe playing the teams they played this past break, that is going to get him noticed if he plays well.

bsky22 and btlove repped this.
  9. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    My “screw it, bring him” is Sargent.

Marko72 and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  11. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jnielsen, TrueCrew, Marko72 and 2 others repped this.
  12. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GGG expands the pool by going 35-deep. Wow.

adam tash repped this.
  13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The only CM to look consistently good since start of '18 has been Adams. Everyone else has been mediocre to inconsistent to solid. There is plenty of room for likes of Morales, Roldan, etc..

14. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not if they aren't considered part of the "pool".

GGG said the "pool" of players for the GC is 35 players. He's called in 37 unique players to the January/March camps. Which means it's highly unlikely that many, if any, of the players not called into those camps are going to play.

Morales? No indication that he'll be called up. Sargent, Weah, Holmes, Nova, CCV, any MLS FOTW (Pomykal, Aaronson, etc.), likely that none of them will get called up.

But it's fine, we can be pretty sure that Altidore is in that pool. Same for Ream, Lovitz, Bradley, and Omar. How exciting!

15. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Bring in the BIG GUNZ! Wanna taste that sweet GC championship again, just like 2017. Like tupelo honey baby!

RalleeMonkey and adam tash repped this.
  16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    3G's first game was in January. The time to whinge would be a little bit later than now.

largegarlic repped this.
  17. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually enjoy winning the Gold Cup. Chicago 2007 vs Mexico is my favorite live sporting event ever.

18. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nah i dont think he is even watching any players who he hasnt alreadt called up in his first 2 camps....he just said on ESPN that he thinks the player pool is about 35-deep....that's much shallower than I would put it at. by a lot.

that's really only 1 23 man roster and 11 backups.....basically.

it's hard to fathom why...but I would guess that GB and his pals/buddies are only looking at about 35 players and if you aint one of them......you aint in the mix.

Alex Blanton and yurch10 repped this.
  19. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    I prefer watching the US in the World Cup. To each his own. If you don't get the '17 reference, no need to continue this.

bsky22 repped this.
  20. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I’m looking forward to seeing the GC roster and would be thrilled to have to eat crow if there are a lot of the following included (barring injury):

- FJ
    - Morales
    - Wood - give him a chance to get a transfer to a high level team
    - [chandler - I think he may still be injured]
    - Sargent
    - Weah
    - Holmes

And to a lesser extent:

- CCV (showcase to other teams)
    - EPB (showcase to other teams)
    - Soto (incentivize youth to push to the highest level of training)
    - carouse
    - cannon
    - Corona

yurch10 repped this.
  21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yes, I put him in the category with Ramirez as somebody who can come in cold and find the right place to be to set up a goal or score one late. Sargent has already done it at youth level. What he needs is senior minutes to challenge his game.

23. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #173 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    GB says his intent is to win the Gold Cup. Hopefully this prevents some of the spin we read on this board about experimental lineups and he is just trying out stuff, ...

At the end when GB talks about Tata's teams playing with high speed, high rhythm which unbalances opponents I which that was the system that GB was trying to develop. :cry:

largegarlic, IndividualEleven and nobody repped this.
  24. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish that was the coach we hired.

25. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Can we at least assume that whoever is called for the Gold Cup is Berhalter's A-team at this point in time, baring injuries? Or, do we have to keep assuming this is yet anther experiment calling in players he doesn't really think are his best as part of some long term master plan?