2019 Gold Cup roster/starter predictions?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by RalleeMonkey, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is zero value in the Gold Cup. Send the same scrubs that embarrassed the US last cycle. Bradley, Altidore, Gonzalez, etc. Zardes. Send them all out there. If they win, great. If they lose, who cares.

Let the youth play with the youth. No need to infect them with the loser vibe.

Pegasus, kickin365 and yurch10 repped this.
  2. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is the only continental championship we get

Magikfute, btlove, Grumpy in LA and 4 others repped this.
  3. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    The rules for the Eredivisie require that non-EU players under 20 be paid about 75% of the league average salary (€200k vs €270k) while those 20 or older make 150% (€400k).

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that but for me I'm in for the long play. Develop the kids together and let them win and get some swagger. No need for Bradley to snub them and not pass to them in obvious situations until he thinks they've been chastened by his mightyness enough. U20's as strong as possible. Move the core of that to U23 with the few U21's-U23's worth adding. As soon as Olympic stuff is done move them up together and add the few U24's up to that group.

5. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    #255 schrutebuck, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019
    This is the bold outside the box thinking that the U.S. needs. Only by not playing for the national team will Pulisic become the greatest U.S. national team player in it's history.

Pulisic, Adams, and McKennie can get more seasoning with the U-20s (as appropriate) and U-23s.

Of course, if (hypothetically speaking) Pulisic was ever dissatisfied with the state of the national team, then nothing would signal that better than sitting out the Gold Cup.

Patrick167 repped this.
  6. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    you feeling ok? worried about you.

7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulisic and McKennie are not a U20's. Adams is but has moved on. Weah and Sargent are on the cusp but do you really want to watch them play with Bradley and Trap and Yedlin etc or with Dest, Pomykal, Mendez, Llanez? No wrong answer but other than Steffen (and other keepers), Pulisic, Adams and McKennie maybe Brooks how many of the old guard will be around in two years?

8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    It's an opportunity to weed out players and to test 3G's system in a tournament setting. If we're not competing in the 2020 Copa America then this will be our only tournament before the World Cup.

jnielsen repped this.
  9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

10. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I don't want to watch them play with Trapp and Bradley. But I do want to see them play with Pulisic, Adams and McKennie. I do want to see them with Mendez and Dest and the rest, but when they push Trapp and Bradley out early next year.

11. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    It is the only extended camp that European based players can participate in. Just for that, Fed Championship aside, it is a once every two year opportunity.

jnielsen repped this.
  12. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I doubt he plays in the Gold Cup.

jnielsen repped this.
  13. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Goalkeepers (3)
    Creditor: Steffen, Horvath, Johnson
    Ives: Steffen, Horvath, Johnson
    dhc1: Steffen, Horvath, [ ]
    largegarlic: Steffen, Horvath, [ ]
    11Bravo: Steffen, Horvath, Johnson
    Duke: Steffen, Horvath,
    Guzan
    Individual11: Steffen, Horvath, Hamid

Modest dissention on third keeper but who cares?

Central Defenders (4)
    Creditor: Brooks, Long, Miazga,
    Ream
    Ives: Brooks, Long, Miazga, Ream
    dhc1: Brooks, Long, Miazga, [ ]
    largegarlic: Brooks, Long, Miazga, Ream
    11Bravo: Brooks, Long, Miazga, Carter-Vickers
    Duke: Brooks, Long, Miazga, Palmer Brown
    Individual11: Brooks, Long, Miazga, Carter-Vickers

Full agreement on top 3 and modest dissention on fourth spot: Three like Ream though. May become important as Brooks is potentially out.

Central Midfielders (5-6)
    Creditor: McKennie, Trapp, Adams, Lletget, Roldan, Bradley
    Ives: McKennie, Trapp, Adams, Lletget, Roldan, Bradley
    dhc1: McKennie, Trapp, Adams, Morales, [ ]
    largegarlic: McKennie, Trapp, Adams, Lletget, Pomykal, [ ]
    11Bravo: Trapp, Adams, Lletget, Roldan, Nagbe
    Duke: McKennie, Trapp, Adams, Lletget, Roldan, Mihailovic, Boyd
    Individual11: McKennie, Trapp, Adams, Bradley, Boyd

Everyone but 11Bravo agree on McKennie/Adams/Trapp. Lots of opinions here on depth pieces but most like Lletget (5). Others include Roldan 3, Bradley 3. There's such a big falloff from McKennie and Adams on this list IMO and I can't understand how people think MB and Roldan are guys who could get any playing time in B1 like Morales. Yikes.

Outside Back/Wing (5-6)
    Creditor: Yedlin, Arriola, Garza, Lima, Lewis
    Ives: Yedlin, Arriola, A. Robinson, Lichaj, Lovitz
    dhc1: Yedlin, Arriola, A. Robinson, Johnson, Chandler, Holmes
    largegarlic: Yedlin, Arriola, M. Robinson, [ ], [ ]
    11Bravo: Yedlin, Arriola, Lima, Johnson, Robinson (not sure which one)
    Duke: Yedlin, Arriola, F. Johnson, A. Robinson
    Individual11: Yedlin, Arriola, Robinson (not sure which one), Lichaj, Holmes

We need help here, especially with Yedlin likely out. More dissension: FJohnson (3) A. Robinson (3-5) lead the pack

Attackers (5)
    Creditor: Pulisic, Altidore, Zardes, Morris, Ramirez
    Ives: Pulisic, Altidore, Zardes, Morris, Novakovich
    dhc1: Pulisic, Altidore, Zardes, Weah/Sargent, Wood
    largegarlic: Pulisic, Altidore, Zardes, Weah, [ ]
    11Bravo: Pulisic, Altidore, Zardes, Novakovich, Weah, Sargent
    Duke: Pulisic, Altidore, Zardes, Morris, Novakovich, Weah
    Individual11: Pulisic, Altidore, Zardes, Novakovich, Mueller, Sapong

Broad agreement on first three. Other choices: Nova (4), Weah (4), Morris (3)

MLS players in squad (underline):

Creditor: 14
    Ives: 11
    dhc1: 5-8
    largegarlic: 8-13
    11Bravo: 9-10
    Duke: 10

Individual11: 9-10

14. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Long is out with a hammy.

GC provo rosters are due 30 days ahead which is imminent.

15. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Curious what the reasoning is on Hamid or Johnson other than "because that's been the plan." Like the plan hasn't updated since 2012 or something. I don't get why Robles gets banished for blunders and others blow games and get mulligans.

I am not a Guzan fan because I think he is inconsistent, and he is old to run with for 2022, but isn't he better than both, in either historical terms or current stats? Is it that someone who used to be the 1 or 2 can't be the 3?? 0.89 GAA on a struggling Atlanta team.

Miller was in the winter camps and is sitting at 0.73 GAA.

Gonzalez has never been given his shot and has the same 1 GAA as Hamid, without baggage like 2012 or the Ireland game.

16. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #266 juvechelsea, May 9, 2019
    GK: Horvath Gonzo Miller [I want to see who the backups should be and I doubt it hurts our chances much]

Backs: Lichaj Lima Laursen Payne Moore Parker CCV Zimmerman Miazga

Mids: Green Lletget McKennie Gall Holmes Šabanadžovic

Forwards: Pulisic Sargent Weah Robinson Wood Nova [try Robinson as a left winger in a 433 with that crossing ability]

Calling up sucky veteran USMNT is a defeatist attitude. There are new players to try even if you send many to U20.

17. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reports coming out that Adams, Weah, and Sargeant will be on the GC squad.

largegarlic repped this.
  18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #268 IndividualEleven, May 9, 2019
    Yedlin, Long, and Brooks will probably miss out. Holmes is back but may not be in form.
    Miles Robinson and Opara replace Long and Brooks.

My updated roster(based on 3G's formation and tactical preferences):

[​IMG]

Eleven Bravo and DHC1 repped this.
  19. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I’m not updating that in the comparison chart! Once is enough....

IndividualEleven repped this.
  20. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Deleted

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #271 IndividualEleven, May 9, 2019
    Alternates:

Strikers:
    Ebobisse:
    has been an excellent form.
    Zardes: had been crappy form until last night. Has a good international record.
    Wood and Sapong are injured.

Winger:
    Antonee Robinson could be moved up from 3G's LB/CB position.
    Picault: is adjusting to a striker role in the Union's new system, but would be a winger with the NT.

A-mid: I'm more optimistic about the U20 talent, tbh.
    Lletget
    Mihailovic
    Corona

Morales:
    merits another look here or at d-mid.
    Bradley: will probably captain the team :eek: , though I think his time has passed.

CB:
    Zimmerman
    Hagglund

LB: Lovitz

22. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Re fitness, for the Europeans and Mexicans this will be offseason, and MLS may be friendly about callups as well. You call up 30+ that the provo roster allows, including players perhaps rusty or less than fit, and you train for a few weeks and even play some friendlies, before you even hit GC.

I understand leaving off people for being injured. I understand leaving off people for quick turnaround international dates for fitness or rust concerns. But this is like a pre-season training camp, and we might have players 1-2 weeks before friendlies and 2-3 weeks before GC. If you can't whip that into shape.......

Also, I don't understand literally leaving out interesting players -- not even in camp -- for rust concerns. I get cutting people. I don't get they don't even get a call. Is the game that cutting those players would be sensitive? What about they don't even get on the provo roster? That almost sounds more like media/public relations than sincerely managing personnel. You could fool fans into forgetting or going along by leaving them out of camps. But the player knows he's not even getting the initial chance much less dressing in the eventual 23. The only thing is since they aren't Landon the media only discusses who they are in the mood to mention, since the players themselves aren't beefing loudly.

I say this because behind the Weah/Sargent layer of grumble-inducement was a second layer of non-U23 type players like Wood, Green, etc. who didn't make it either. Out of sight out of mind I guess. But particularly for a long camp I would treat it like the World Cup, bring my best players in, and if the rust cannot be knocked off Weah/ Sargent/ Green/ Wood in several weeks then they didn't deserve it. And then I'd believe that this gets appropriately evaluated and the coach sticks out his neck, as opposed to they watch some club tape and then hope the fans forgot who got left off entirely.

DHC1 repped this.
  23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #273 Jazzy Altidore, May 9, 2019
    See the highlights of ATL and Nagbe running roughshed over Bradley in his "defensive" midfield position. It is all Bradley slowly jogging around the ball, trying to look like he's doing something, while ATL easily bypasses him.

He also too often drops back to act like a third center-back, when he needs to be applying high pressure on the ball closer to midfield, like what you see from an Adams.

At 1:00 Martinez gets off clean shot against Bradley in box.

At 1:40 Bradley drops back like a CB when he should have been helping apply pressure to the dribbler, before he gets off the shot that goes off the post. For some reason he turns around and gives the GK a thumbs up, even though the GK didn't even make the save. Classic Bradley false bravado.

At 2:30ish Bradley is just meandering around at the top of the box, while the attack unfolds around him. There are multiple opportunities for him to provide pressure, but it looks like his legs are dead. He just points and shouts at his teammates like he's a coach, not the defensive midfielder. A goal is scored.

At 3:35, he just stands there like a traffic cone, letting Gressel pick out the long-ball that should have been scored.

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-05-08-atlanta-united-fc-vs-toronto-fc/recap

We saw the effects of this type of play against Chile, who just set up camp in our defensive third without feeling any pressure.

The naive fan doesn't notice his biggest weakness. Bradley isn't always obviously getting dribbled or making turnovers. But he is just incapable of providing effective pressure on the ball at this point in his career (which used to be a strength of his). That will be deadly against decent teams, who will seize on the extra moment to make a splitting pass or fire off a shot.

btlove, gunnerfan7, Patrick167 and 4 others repped this.
  24. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100% agree.

I’ve talked about this before too. He often crowds the center backs and leaves a hole in the midfield.

jnielsen repped this.
  25. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think trying to project which U20's will pan out is an impossible exercise, so you should just try to win when you can