2019 FSU

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Tom81, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solid hyperbole! :p;)

2. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    My first question, was this a changing philosophy, or is this a sign that Krikorian might be moving on from college soccer? I have no inside info, so please don't take this spreading rumors. I am just curious.

1. Coach Krikorian doesn't make rash decisions from all accounts.
    2. He has built his dynasty on recruiting top international players.
    3. Part of that is he will develop them and release them to International duty.

So why the sudden change of philosophy?

3. VictoryCB

VictoryCB Member

Florida State Seminoles
    United States
    Dec 4, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazyhorse repped this.
  4. VictoryCB

VictoryCB Member

Florida State Seminoles
    United States
    Dec 4, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that this might be more of the IRE coach setting up excuses for her team if they lose (and they have three other starters/contributors out due to injury) than a shift from Coach K.

As none of us are privy to the conversations between coach and player, it's hard to pinpoint any logical reason.

5. VictoryCB

VictoryCB Member

Florida State Seminoles
    United States
    Dec 4, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazyhorse repped this.
  6. VictoryCB

VictoryCB Member

Florida State Seminoles
    United States
    Dec 4, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EvanJ and Crazyhorse repped this.
  7. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure there was a change in philosophy. Things don't add up, FSU has been without players in the postseason before due to Nat team duty.

VictoryCB repped this.
  8. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to a fellow FSU fan on another website, it has been pointed out that the issue is with a professor at FSU. That is out of Marks hands.

shlj and blissett repped this.
  9. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That's bizzare... a non football problem has prevented a call-up ?

ping repped this.
  10. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could make a guess on what this is about, but maybe someone actually knows what the professor's issue is?

11. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Well that seals a 2 seed for us.
    Gabby Carle defends that wide Spaanstra run.
    Well, we get more rest and UVA and UNC (I assume) will get to battle for an ACCT title.

The good news is, even without Carle, we played very well.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  12. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What might of been if Jeffers had caught that first lazy cross and not allowed another corner for UVA.....

Regardless, better ACC reg season this year than last, but worse out of conference. I have a feeling we will be matched up with Stanford, just makes sense.

13. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I disagree.
    I think we are either the 5th or 6th team.
    That would give us a 2 seed in the bracket with the 3rd or 4th 1 seed.
    JMHO

14. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We've already established that injuries suck.

But I would have been more than happy for Carle to be back if it meant we could have had Petersen, Constant and Sumpter.

In any event, there's a lot more soccer to be played.

15. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Gabby was not injured. She was away at Canadian national team duty. I was pleased that we played Virginia much tougher than the last time. I am hoping that Arkansas wins the SEC tourney and gets the fourth number one seed and that we get the fifth seed or the first number two seed. While I know they are very good, I would feel good about our chances playing them.
    We could have three ACC teams trying to take down Stanford in the college cup.

Val1 repped this.
  16. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be happy to see this team go up against Arkansas as well. I think Stanford could potentially carve up our backline.

Payne does seem to struggle. Lacks the physicality I prefer in a center back, one of the worse passers FSU fields, and can get burned 1 v 1. Easy for me to say that and hard for anyone to replace the exceptional presence in the back that we enjoyed in Kuikka. Mark clearly likes her better than any of his other options, but hopefully her game will grow with some time in the system or some other options present themselves. I'll be curious to see what the back line looks like next year if Madril is available.

17. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I agree totally.
    Given another year, I expect HP's passing to improve. She can become a solid CB, but she'll never approach Kuikka's level b/c she doesn't have her pace.
    If Emily Madril is the CB answer, HP may become like Anna Patten (a Swiss Army knife reserve).
    I expect Makala Thomas to take a step forward next year and become a more frequently used front line attacking player. I also expect a healthy Kristina Lynch and Clara Robbins to make our Wide MF much more productive and dangerous. Abby Newton may become another Anna (Swiss Army Knife).
    Jody Brown looks very intriguing. Very little video of her, but what there is looks promising. I'm hoping the Jamaican NTer can become our skilled pace forward (9?).
    If injuries do not again decimate us, next year could be better than this year!
    Hard to imagine considering we will be losing Deyna.

Alas this year is not over. We still have a chance. Everyone knows that we can beat any other team out there on a given day. Despite 2 losses, we are on a par with UVA. UNC is very good and very deep, but they too are beatable.
    Stanford is the team that worries me the most.
    I think FSU and UVA stand the best chance of beating them. IMO, the key like last year, is owning the midfield. They have absolutely owned the PAC this year!

18. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet Payne moves to an attacking position next season.

19. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Stanford are not flawless. Stanford's offense can score goals by the bucketful, but are also very wasteful with their excellent chances. That powerful attack pins most teams down and hides a lot of Stanford's basic flaws. the good ACC teams will recognize that the base of Stanford's spine [except for Girma] can't pass, loses possession quite easily, is brittle and error-prone, and will exploit those glaring weaknesses.

FWIW, I think the committee has already rigged the bracket as such:

ACC1 - SoCal to UVa
    Stanford - FSU
    ACC2 - SoCar to UNC
    UCLA - Arkansas

20. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    If that is the case, I'd lay odds for UVA, Stanford, UNC and UCLA to meet in the CC.
    Hope I'm wrong in at least one prediction.:(

21. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Anybody like to see Arkansas back in the same bracket with UNC?

22. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think UNC would ;)

23. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FSU commit Olivia Smith '22, made her senior Canadian national team debut the other night. She is the youngest to ever play for the senior team, 15 years old.

24. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    sad

25. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see it going like this, although I will review it after tomorrow's games:

1.1 Stanford with 2.4 Kansas (my system says they win the Big 12 championship)
    1.2 North Carolina with 2.3 Southern Cal
    1.3 Virginia with 2.2 South Carolina (even though my system says Arkansas will win the SEC championship game)
    1.4 UCLA v 2.1 Florida State

That last one would be one great QF game.

The seeds are in the order (1.1 through 2.4) dictated by how my computer analyzes the teams' profiles in relation to the Committee's historic patterns. Then, I've simply put them in standard seeding matchups.

This would have the Stanford and UCLA quarters on one side of the bracket and the North Carolina and Virginia quarters on the other side.