2019 FIFA U20 World Cup: Non-U.S. team and tournament news

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Of the teams that are remaining, it's easy to see most of them lifting the trophy. We are also guaranteed a first time champion and two first time finalists. South Korea and Colombia are the obvious weak sides of the Quarterfinals, and Colombia was eliminated. I would not be surprised if South Korea fails to advance as well.

Ukraine has proven to be a disciplined side. They were fairly fortunate against the USA but controlled all of their other games. Colombia was the weakest SA side and had trouble scoring goals, making them a poor matchup against such a defensively sound opponent.

Italy has done an excellent job this tournament but has had to rely on brilliance from Plizzari to make it this far. They have gotten fortunate with penalties and red cards as well. They I would be surprised to see them in the final due to the opponents they will face.

Mali is a strong team that I think many are underrating. They went toe to toe with France, doing a lot to disrupt their game plan. France in the end was a superior side, but they were superior to almost everyone. I think they provide a lot of matchup problems for Italy and Ukraine and could be a dark horse finalist. Stylistically I would most like to face Mali if the USA makes the final.

Ecuador has been a star crossed team in terms of results but really put it together against Uruguay. I think they match up well to the USA and it will be a game decided by a few key moments. I don't think they're a tougher opponent than France, but they're close. Fatigue will be their biggest limiting factor with most of their players on 360+ minutes so far.

Senegal is the strongest defensive team of the tournament, allowing less than 1 xG across the entire tournament so far. They have a physical style that wears teams down and is difficult to play against. Nigeria was the only team to score on them and that was from a direct free kick. South Korea has played very well but has benefited from being able to absorb pressure and counter, something I don't see Senegal allowing them to do. If we get past Ecuador, Senegal is a very strong opponent.

Mario Balotelli repped this.