PBP: 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup Round of 16: USA vs France

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sebsasour, May 31, 2019.

1. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup Round of 16
    USA vs France
    Tuesday, June 4th, 2019
    11:30 AM (ET)
    Bydgoszcz Stadium
    Bydgoszcz, Poland
    Fox Sports 2 and NBC Universo

France's Squad:

France.png

Their path here:

The French opened up European qualifying with a 7-0 drubbing of tiny Andorra, they then went on to beat Bosnia (in Bosnia) 2-1. They closed out the first round with a somewhat eyebrow raising 1-1 draw to Georgia, though it is important to keep in mind that they had already clinched the group at that point.

In round 2 they were handed a pretty brutal qualifying group with Belgium, Bulgaria, and Spain (who was the host), however they earned 9 points in 3 games. They overcame a 2-0 deficit to Belgium by scoring 3 goals in the last 10 minutes, they beat Bulgaria 2-0, and closed out the group with a 4-2 win over Spain.

In The European Championship they were grouped with England, Turkey and our group stage opponent Ukraine. They opened with Ukriane, and actually lost 2-1, thanks to an 85th minute goal. France did play the final 30 minutes of that game down a man though after a red card. They quickly rebounded from the opening loss, drubbing both England and Turkey by a score of 5-0. This earned them 2nd in the group and punched their ticket into Poland. They went on to play a semifinal against Italy, where they lost 2-0.

They have 9 points in 3 matches at this World Cup, beating Panama 2-0, Saudi Arabia 2-0, and The African Champs Mali 3-2

2. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at match reports, it does not appear that France has any players suspended

3. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    I hope we see Ledezma behind Pomykal in this game, but I have a feeling it's going to be Servania.

4. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our players are good enough to beat France but our coach isn't.

justinpaul10, KUSA77, Gacm32 and 6 others repped this.
  5. Smileton

Smileton Member

Richmond Kickers, Ipswich Town FC, FC Kaiserslautern
    United States
    Feb 7, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least Pomykal is rested. I would love to see Cerrillo since we'll need someone stout in front of our back line, but I doubt Tab will play him. Please, let's play Richards and McKenzie at centerback. I've seen Keita at Richmond, and he is not up to this level.

6. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The type of opponent where we normally need to take a half chance to score to have a shot to win.

Not convinced this team is capable, it seems to struggle turning possession into full chances, which are not converted at a high %. If we keep good possession against France, they will impress me but it still needs to lead to chances.

I'd like to see to Tab find a guy who can actually tackle at DM. Durkin wasn't it. Does he have anybody else?

7. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I disagree. Player for player they're better than us. But as we all know the game is played on the pitch and not in someone's notes, and upsets can and do happen. It's a tall order to beat France, and I just hope that they give it their best.

8. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Flip them. Ledezma as the 10, Pomykal as the 8 and Cerillo as the 6.

There's no way Servania doesn't play, but I think this is our best 3 man midfield.

9. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    He has Cerillo. Is he good enough for going against France? Perhaps not, but he has a starting spot at FC Dallas ahead of Servania and has good chemistry with Pomykal because of it.

10. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Servania has been as unimpressive as Durkin. Can't hurt to try the other guy.

11. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there’s one thing I know, it’s that Tab doesn’t care that Cerrillo is playing over Servania.

I’m hoping Tab comes to the realization bshredder thinks he will, that he will watch the tape and see how bad Servania was last game.

My only concern with Cerrillo is he hasn’t played this tournament or with this team. I’m worried he can be a step behind if he walks into a game against one of the best u20 teams in the world. I get it, he’s started in mls, but we all know there is a difference between mls and the top European leagues, which many of these French players have played in.

Hopefully, if he plays, Ledezma and Pomykal help keep possession and take some of the French pressure off by moving the ball into the attacking half and not being careless or making stupid mistakes. As a whole, we haven’t been great at that so far.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

jnielsen, SteelyTom, kennytt and 3 others repped this.
  13. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    I’ve said it before but why not partner pax with the #6 that starts with him in Dallas

Lookingforleftbacks and adam tash repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think what we're likely to see is the FCD midfield trio of Pomykal, Cerrillo, and Servania. It must makes sense under the circumstances.

Although I couldn't tell you the last time they started a game together.

15. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    France is a hard team to get a handle on this tournament. They haven’t really had to push hard in any of their games. Saudi Arabia played them pretty well but were a man down and just surrendered the ball. Panama never threatened them either. Over two games they had a very small number of shots per minute of possession. They opened up more against Mali and that was a good game but it never felt like France was in any danger.

The USA is going to have to ramp up the intensity of the game to have a chance. The key will be shutting down France’s speed on the wings and keeping the ball away from Diaby and Cuisance.

If France plays aggressively then there will be space to play into on the wings. The middle of the park is going to be tough to break through and of course they have a top class keeper for a U20 team. It will take some luck to beat them.

16. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    which reinforces why servania doesn’t belong and cerrillo does

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  17. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    It is worth remembering that 3 months ago, USA played against France and it was a 2-2 draw. The French team had played with substitute players and United States with an "Team A".
    Alioui had scored the French goals, De La Fuente and Cappis scored the goals for the United States.
    France: Desprez; Sissoko, Dembele, Basila, Niakate; Todibo, Fofana, Soumare; Mbeumo, Chouiar, Alioui
    USA: Dos Santos; Dest, Richards, Gloster, Real; Mendez, Durkin, Amaya; Akinola, De La Fuente, Rennicks

Guinho, Namdynamo, Gacm32 and 5 others repped this.
  18. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for posting this. Would you really characterize a lineup with Real, Amaya, Akinola, and Rennicks as a "Team A"?

adi21, eliwood, Gacm32 and 6 others repped this.
  19. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Kennedy is right, but let's put this in perspective. We can't expect to go from a U20 team with a mix of players on youth teams (albeit in pro environments), a smattering of 1st teamers, a few college kids, maybe a couple of DA players, which was the norm in previous cycles, to a team that has primarily first teamers on good clubs without going through transitional steps. This cycle we've just progressed to having everyone in pro environments, but with the majority still not ready for 1st team action. That's progress, and maybe in a few more cycles we'll see a greater % of our players getting significant 1st team minutes on good teams. Can we beat France? I suppose anything is possible, but given the obvious contrast of the level of players we don't stand a chance. But this is not only important for our players to experience but just as important, the coaching staff, and U.S. Soccer in general. This is what everyone should be aiming for.

20. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, last year, our U20s split a two-match friendly series with France U21. Lost 2-0 and won 1-0 against older '97-'98 French players. True, it was clearly a B if not C-squad for France, and our U20s still had Josh Sargent at the time, but it was overall not our A-squad either.
    https://www.soccerwire.com/news/nt/...late-game-winner-to-defeat-france-u-21-squad/

Winoman repped this.
  21. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    Certainly not. My mistake. I meant that for that game, that team could have been considered "Team A" because many of the best players had not been called for that tournament (Scott, Ochoa, McKenzie, Araujo, Ledezma, Cerrillo, Pomykal, Weah, Sargent ).

Gacm32 and derek750 repped this.
  22. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    I mean some of this will be helped by our full national team pool getting stronger as well. How many of France's players for example would have gotten the Tyler Adams/Josh Sargent treatment if they were in our pool and missed this tournament all together?

How more confident would you feel heading into Tuesday with Tyler Adams in the midfield and Sargent being available?

I've been paying attention to American youth teams since 2006, I've gone through all the cycles of hope and burn. I know we will go through the same cycle with a good portion of these players as well. BUT, the product we are able to put out at the U-20 level is usually indicative of the greater talent available at the level in the pool and if it's any indicator we have upped our overall game.

dwsmith1972, russ and gogorath repped this.
  23. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Tab's god awful 2013 team did manage to pull off this result

IIRC Gil missed a Penalty too

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how well this team would've played in a group of France, Spain and Ghana?o_O

25. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not much better to be honest, but that 2013 squad is still the worst team that we've had in quite some time IMO. It's shocking that they were able to get a result against the eventual champs