PBP: 2019 FIFA U-20 Cup Group Stage: USA vs Qatar 5/30

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sebsasour, May 27, 2019.

1. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    In going through this thread, I'm surprised at the number of people who were annoyed at Mendez taking all the free kicks.

I don't care how many he misses in a row, I would have him take the next one if he wants to. Dude will eventually sink one and no one on this team is better.

Also, what was with the obsession with missing France? to the point of throwing the game? It's a U20 World Cup. I don't really care how far we get if the reason we get further is because we threw a match. Give me France now; at least I get to see how we match up versus France.

2. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Of course. There are too many coddled and entitled in U.S. soccer. I love the U20 WC, win or lose. We get out of our bubble and see what's going on in the rest of the world.

gogorath repped this.
  3. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    You mean this?

4. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    If Weah was a plus finisher, he'd be such a good player.

Thundering165 repped this.
  5. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of those guys who seems decent to good at everything, but not great at anything.

I always have to question the ceiling on guys with those traits...

6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    He's at least young, and he has the athleticism to play at any level. Hopefully his skills will develop a bit more, because I love his play off the ball and his work rate.

7. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DId you see the touch to bring the pass down to get into position to take that shot? He has displayed plus touch, plus runs, plus speed, plus size, plus hunger , plus work rate and he's barely 19.

Geneva repped this.
  8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Enjoy the u20's cuz you wont see that with Berhalter.

Winoman repped this.
  9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #809 Excellency, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    The reaction when Weah sees Mendez is on the ball is A+. Weah is under-rated imo. He can push that line. Sargent isn't actually that guy altho people think he is. I see Sarge more as a Dempsey - an opportunist (some people call it "poaching":unsure:)

freisland repped this.
  10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I always wanted to see for senior team

-----------------weah
    ------sarge-------------pulisic
    --adams------trapp-------delgado
    -x-----------x-----------x--------x

and I think we could already be thinking in terms of having Mendez for Delgado with Adams taking over Delgado's defensive duties. Eventually we might see Adams taking over for Trapp and Pomykal added in.

--------------weah
    -----sarge---------puli
    --pom----adams--mendez

I'm pretty sure that team could make things happen in the hex when the time comes. We need to get cracking on fullbacks. We got squat.

11. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    So we're going to meet. Our game against Mali was not so representative because Diomède get the substitutes to play this match, but I agree Mali was a tough team (Sékou Koïta is a technical beast).

May the best team win !

It's too bad Gouiri can't play a whole match. He's a killer. 33 goals in 40 matchs in youth official competition. Instead we have Sylla who missed again his chances. For the round of 16, Kamara, Zagadou, Fofana, Loiodice, Ndicka will be back.

Winoman and Thundering165 repped this.
  12. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Saying may the best team win is very kind of you. Given the difference in playing statuses this game should not be close. I just hope our players put out a good effort, try to compete as best they can, and hope they can catch some breaks.

13. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Delgado is a very poor finisher from what I've seen lately.

I don't want him in position to get the chances I've seen him wasting for TFC.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  14. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you consider "plus" to be "great"? I'm not sure how you define it, but it strikes me as "good"

15. adi21

adi21 Member

The ones that have Americans starting
    United States
    Mar 17, 2001
    Maryland
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you rate Trapp and Delgado ahead of Weston McK ? Hmm

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think what's unique about Weah is he can do both - make really smart runs that stretch a D and pop up in the right place at the right time in the box (reminds me of AronJo there a bit.) If he can get a better nose for the goal, maybe be a bit more scrappy, I think he can be a very useful player. He just seems to understand field space better than most his age.

17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I would play Wes at rcb in a 3 cb back line where he plays at club.

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    They never trained him properly at Toronto in the attacking third. Others will pass him in any case, which I was expecting and hoping for, actually. Qatar is more than 3 years off. Look at guys in the u20's where Delgado played in 2015. There's Servania, Cerillo, Pomykal, Ledezma, Durkin, Mendez. I think a different mix will emerge but right now those guys are in the U20's. What worries me is Berhalter's "system" fixation. We saw how Delgado and Canouse both were canned because they didn't play Berhalter's system. Will the same happen to some of the guys coming thru u20's?

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well, you're overrating his "IQ" because he has the ability to get onto more balls or he'd be playing at a higher level in Europe because he certainly has the skills. Would Weah have made it to the far post for the winner like Rennick's did v France? He's kind of uneven but I'm not really sure whose fault it is.

20. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tab really put out a shit team and strategy for this game.

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Maybe... "Would Weah have made it to the far post for the winner...?" I dunno - as I mentioned, I think he needs to be a bit more scrappy, which includes busting for the back post with a defender on you - now would Rennick have nutmegged the defender and scored in the early match?

I mean, that's kind of a weird mental game...

But we shall see if I'm "overrating his IQ" - he'll likely get to take a test or two more in career, I'm gonna wager.