PBP: 2019 FIFA U-20 Cup Group Stage: USA vs Qatar 5/30

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sebsasour, May 27, 2019.

1. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Dangerous attitude.

Soccer analytics have a ways to go, and your right, baseball is particularly better suited with it's 1v1 discrete actions. But, every team - club and international squads - are using analytics to help identify players and strategies that improve their likelihood of wining.

Ignore them and you'll eventually be doing the soccer equivalent of bunting guys from 1st to 2nd (while an ok strategy in very limited circumstances, it reduces your run probability in every case) or punting from the other teams 35.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That game was our worst by some margin.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  3. appwrangler

appwrangler Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 18, 2018
    Some might say you’re too pessimistic about the youth team. I say you may be too optimistic about the senior team.

4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I question Durkin's first step. Adams has a great first step (360 degrees) and Bradley aint bad in that department (not as good as when he was younger). otoh, if you look at Durkin's speed when he gets going, it ain't bad and he has stamina.

The problem is that the 8 position doesn't suit Durkin's passing which is good in terms of long passes but rather poor in terms of short passing in traffic.

Essentially, the passing of Mendez-Durkin-Pomykal is all encompassing because they complement each other beautifully. Somehow Tab managed to make sure we wouldn't see it against an organized, elite level opponent like France. In fact, we didn't even get to see it against Qatar. We got to see it one time out of 4 games.

US Soccer and Earnie Stewart (+Berhalter) really let us down here. They knew full well that Tab was facing a conundrum going into the Qatar game and they should have called a confab to give him support with a risky decision. I said before the Qatar game that I would be happy to see subs in the Qatar game to preserve the eligibility of the yellow carded players we needed against France (or Mali, as the case might be). The first line players would have been on the bench in any case if the Qatar game had gone south. What have we learned after we go out v. France with the subs playing (who should have been playing v. Qatar so the first team would be together v. France)? That Tab is some kind of hero because he gets out of group regularly? A big FU to US Soccer. Bad management.

5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Mendez not "moving"? What a bunch of baloney. Didn't listen to scuffed but Mendez was terrific. I'm not interested in people telling me that so-and-so doesn't do everything. On that basis I wouldn't want Messi on my team.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You'll be surprised how much Pomykal misses Mendez v. France.

7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Basically our chances amounted to Mendez making the key defensive play that left Qatar on the back foot as the ball went forward beautifully to Weah off Mendez' defensive play.

8. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I don't think Mendez was terrific in the Qatar game. He tweeted that it wasn't his best. I know he's disappointed about the saved PK and not getting his FKs on frame. I think he was tired all game, as everything was a bit off. All that said, too many critics go to the extreme of saying he's a one trick pony with his free kicks. He not only is the most reliable passer on the team, he has a good understanding of orchestrating an attack. While he's not always successful with his passes in the final 3rd, he tries $hit. And the interception that led to Weah's goal was done by...Alex Mendez. I agree that he'll need a bit more physical development (maybe add some strength and quickness), but the other parts of his game are in good shape.

9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #784 Excellency, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
    There's a lot small time operators around here nitpicking on a guy who makes the huge plays that win games and is actually doing a lot more than they realize because they never spend a second on watching a guy off the ball - because it is in the nature of tv soccer fans to watch the ball.

Edit: In respect of the pk, Mendez should never have taken that pk. It's amateurish to think that the guy with the strongest shot on goal is the best pk taker. Mendez is one of the youngest on the team. Soto should have taken the pk. Mendez isn't ready for that yet.

Peretz48 repped this.
  10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #785 Excellency, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
    Panama look like 10 mids and a GK

Edit: but, b.t.w., that could bode ill for USMNT @ Panama in the hex. I"m still wondering why the Kiwi guy switched to US from NZ when you consider that NZ will have two games to qualify on (the play-off) whereas US will have to overcome a revived Canada and that U20 Panama team and a Jamaica that certainly has the horses, in addition to Mexico, CR and the usual suspects.

11. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Also, the Euro teams don't always get it right in scouting/recruiting players, but obviously there's a reason he's at Freiburg (from what I've heard he had interest from other Bundesliga clubs as well). Those scouts have been at it much longer than we have and just have a better sense of what qualities are needed to make it. Remember the diagonal ball to Weah against Nigeria? The weight and accuracy of that pass was spot on. Not many players can do that. Mendez can, and has done it many times.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It'd be funny if they beat Ukraine.

13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He did it against Qatar as well but Weah couldn't chest the ball down.

14. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I didn't do it last night because I didn't know who our opponent would be yet, and I was at work all day today. It's up now though

Geneva, Lloyd Heilbrunn and TimB4Last repped this.
  15. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    @Excellency, say Mendez one more time. :)

Credit due, he did step up and get the ball that Weah scored on.

16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Otherwise, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

17. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Timo would step up and take the ball for the PK.

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Would have been fine by me.

19. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

USMNT is way better for Boyd's profile than NZ. He also will have a lot more fun playing our schedule than theirs, who wants to beat up on small pacific islands all the time?

20. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Not as much as he misses Cerillo.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  21. alslammerz

alslammerz Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Staten Island, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update: Not Portugal.

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Who wants the plane trip ;)?

My initial search gives me Turkish Airlines, 3 stops 31 hours, Ankara to Wellington.

50/50 Ball and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  23. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Too many people discount the physical toll three very high level matches in a week will take on any athlete and even more, young guys. There is going to be some drop-off unless you're a compete mutant or taking drugs to improve your endurance or aid in recuperation.

I expect the young Yanks to be better physically against France.

Lookingforleftbacks and gogorath repped this.
  24. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Love Mendez. But I am excited to see Ledezma get a full game at that position. Unless, you know Tab goes all Tab.