PBP: 2019 FIFA U-20 Cup Group Stage: USA vs Nigeria 5/27

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sebsasour, May 25, 2019.

1. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup Group Stage
    USA vs Nigeria
    Monday, May 27th, 2019
    2:30 PM (ET)
    Bielsko-Biala Stadium
    Bielsko-Biala, Poland
    Fox Sports 1 and NBC Universo

Nigeria's Squad:

Nigeria.png

Their path here:

To qualify for The African Cup of Nations they needed to win a pair of 2 legged playoffs.

In the first they had to face Guinea-Bissau. In the away leg they drew 2-2, and won the return game at home 1-0 thanks to a 60th minute penalty

In the second they had to face Mauritania. They once again failed to win the away leg only earning a 1-1 draw, but they mauled them at home 5-0 to qualify for The African Cup of Nations.

In the final tournament they were draw into a 4 team group with South Africa, Burundi and the hosts Niger. They beat Burundi and Niger, but only managed a scoreless draw against The South Africans. They finished 1st in the group, which punched their ticket to Poland.

They did go on to play a semifinal against Mali where they lost in penalties. They once again fell short penalties in the 3rd place match against South Africa.

I can't find any pre tournament friendlies, but they destroyed Qatar 4-0 in the opener

2. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nigeria has never been a walk in the park during youth tourneys. I’d say we squeak by with a 1-0 win or at worst a draw.

3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Thought I would take a peek at how the other half lives.

Excellency's bird's eye view:

Watched France - Saudi Arabia til the red card which came early. don't think we should be all worried about facing France. Also watched a little of Nigeria - Qatar. Qatar was bad. They've been better in previous iterations. I"m watching a little Panama - Mali (the "African Champions" they call them). Panama is handling them comfortably at the 26' mark. I'd be worried about Panama in the hex altho I don't see any finishers. (Edit: Fantastic solo assisted goal by Mali just before the half - used one Panamanian defender as a screen to beat a very good Panamanian goal keeper - get that GK to the MLS is he isn't gainfully employed in Europe).

My overall impression is that we have made a mistake by insisting on a 433 set-up because we seem just as threatening as anybody in the attacking half but our defense isn't up to the par of other teams. It seems to me the solution has to include a 3cb set up and I don't see Tab doing that because he is the guy who decided that the default formation for our youth teams would be 433. If we had an ace dmid 6 it would be one thing because he would effectively be a 3rd cb but I don't see it in our present iteration. Durkin has some skills but not as Matic or Adams (20yr old version).

Looking forward to Nigeria, it seems to me we are a team which builds on the right and finishes on the other side. The key guy is Dest. If he is told to worry about defense first he may be mentally hampered. Again. 3Cb's would fit this team. I'd like to see Mendez drop behind Pomykal and serve as the long shot outlet and I'd like to see Weah playing centrally and timing his moves to finish off Fuentes' cross.

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Should be an entertaining match to watch while I grill up burgers and bratwursts.
    Hopefully we find a way to sneak out a positive result.

Lookingforleftbacks and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I don't know that the defense was THAT bad against Ukraine. How many chances did they have other than the goals? I remember the one shot off the bar? But I agree that the strength of this US team is in the attack.

If Nigeria is not going to bunker, I'd be tempted to play the same way as the first game (with perhaps some personnel modifications) and take our chances at outscoring them.

I have limited knowledge of all of these players (but when has that ever stopped a BS poster!), but ff we did want to go slightly more defensive, we could bring Cerrillo in for Durkin to solidify the center of the field. But we'd probably give up some passing ability with that. I would that I'd think about sitting Dest, but he seems so integral to building the attack that we might just have to live with the defensive gaffes.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd use this lineup

Scott
    Dest-Richards-Keita-Gloster
    Konrad-Durkin-Cerrillo-Llanez
    Weah-Soto

If Gloster can't play, slide Dest over to the left side and Araujo comes into the lineup. I wouldn't test out McKenzie's fitness in this game. Keita played well. He should keep his place.

7. Bite o' the Cherry

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 3, 2006
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would you keep Mendez out? The kid is more likely to score as anyone out there.

WheezingUSASupport and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think this is the game you play the smaller, less direct attacking mids. I'd try to match Nigeria. We tried to outplay Ukraine with our style in the first game and it didn't work. We need some type of result in this game.

9. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Bah. No chance. Tab teams are one step forward, two steps back. They generally have no idea who they are or what they want to accomplish.

Hackworth is a terrible coach, but at least he's terrible in a very definite wishbone offense kind of way. His teams know they play cover-2 in the midfield and run fast as they can at goal and try to never dribble the ball.

10. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Uhh, huh? The same Tab squad's that had lost 1 game in regulation in the past 2 U20 World Cups combined (10 total matches) and collected back to back confederation championships in this cycle and the last? I admit to being perplexed by his rosters and line up decisions, but it's hard to argue with his teams performance since 2015.

rlrcpa repped this.
  11. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    #11 Sam Hamwich, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
    sure, now let's see him play some good teams. Then we can talk.

Which is why I said, he seems to always be moving forward and winning, then when faced with good competition either more athletic or more technical, his teams fade. Why? I think because his teams have no identity to fall back on. They are some kind of quasi possession, counter, pressing team.

Conversely, you look at the japan team and they want to move in 20m increments, they want to possess the ball, they want to make quick center > diagonal passes and runs to break the backline down.

12. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m betting we see at least a few changes to try to keep people fresh, even though I wouldn’t be terribly shocked if Tab used basically the same lineup because he viewed this as a “must win.” Logic says you need fresh legs every game, and with the depth of this team, it makes sense.

I seriously doubt Tab deviates from his beloved 4-3-3 regardless of how many goals it doesn’t produce. His mantra is “if it doesn’t work, get a way with it until you lose and the tournament is over.”

13. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Anyone watched Nigeria's games? How is our chance to get a win or draw? And any thought on our tactical adjustment to play against them?

14. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Don't expect the type of organized effort that we saw against Ukraine in this one. I think the US will show it's quality and beat Nigeria convincingly.

Ukraine does not match up well Nigeria and might not be able to score a lot on Qatar.

There is still a decent chance the US comes out on top of this group.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True he has a rocket of a shot but he gets manhandle in midfield. Against a physical African team, I would rather see someone with more ball control and bite.

16. Bite o' the Cherry

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 3, 2006
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suggest you are undervaluing the excellent defensive concept and effort that the Ukrainians showed. Can/will the Nigerians play similarly? I feel that, no, they can't/won't. As such, I want fast-thinking movers of the ball and dangerous shooters. Keep Mendez (our best player last tournament) and find a way to get Ledezma out there.

17. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    No Pomykal and no Mendez?

gogorath and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this game is 1-1 in the 80th minute, do you start playing for tie knowing that Qatar is looming and 4 points will be enough to advance, or do you go for the win?

19. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Does anyone know where to find good live online feeds for these games? Youtube or whatever. I've been impressed by the quality of the highlights packages online but I don't have FS1 or NBC Universo.

20. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    If we lose is there any chance we can advance as the 3rd place team by beating Qatar?

Haven’t looked into all the rules well enough.

21. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but we'd need help in the other groups. We'd likely need to run up the score against The Qataris

22. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    If you ask me, you “play for the tie” by emphasizing defensive solidity the whole game. Trust individual talent to generate chances, disrupt Nigeria’s position and take advantage of chaotic game states, and focus on limiting Nigeria’s ability to create clean shots. I don’t think Nigeria is going to bunker and counter like Ukraine.

DHC1 repped this.
  23. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Yeah, pretty much need a result today it seems, so would agree with this.

I was pretty surprised by how uncertain our defense looked against Ukraine, but I suppose both goals were kind of fluky, at least the first one. Hopefully the team will be more up for it today, as I had high expectations for them in the knockout stages.

Seems many here have appropriately pointed out the games will be completely different based on how the teams match up, so looking forward with cautious optimism for today.

24. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect Nigeria to play more open. Also expect them to be more technical than Ukraine's "bruisers". We were terrible in the final third against Ukraine. Maybe more chances today.

25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Just saw this, but thanks for the invite. I guess you should DM us your address, though, unless your want to risk some random guys you really don't know showing up without a proper invitation.