2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup: USA vs. Netherlands 11/2 7:00PM ET

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Thundering165, Nov 1, 2019.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    ... Netherlands through to the Quarterfinals, check.

Peter Bonetti repped this.
  2. Actually many Belgian posters are of the same opinion I have regarding Martinez. They rather see the back of Martinez sooner than later. Problem is to replace him with whom?

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Doesn't look like any of the rest is happening. Senegal is virtually out, dominated by a superior Spanish team, and Mexico looks likely to beat Japan in the end.

4. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    Advocaat resigned in 2010 unexpectedly under the threat of legal action by the Belgium Federation for breaking his contract. His results in the 6 months he led the program were -

World Cup Qualifying
    W 2-0 vs Turkey
    L 2-0 vs Estonia

Friendly Matches
    W vs Hungary
    W vs Qatar
    L vs Croatia

Even for the 2010 version of Belgium, these are uneven results at best. Then, six years later, they hired Roberto Martinez on August 3, 2016.

Really? Belgium fans are crediting Dick Advocaat for the success of Roberto Martinez eight years later at the World Cup? This cannot, in any rational world, be viewed as logical thinking.

Martinez will eventually lose the locker room, but there is a reason that people keep hiring him for good jobs and he showed that reason with Belgium. Belgium got exactly what they hired him for.

I certainly hope that you will be able to set any disillusional fans straight with the reality of the situation.

Dick Advocaat has had some nice successes in his career, but his short stint in Belgium six years before Roberto Martinez was not a highlight of his career. It wasn’t awful. It just can’t logically be viewed as the reason for their national team success eight years later. That is ridiculous, but you appear to be doubling down on this, as so often happens in BigSoccer, so I am going to have to let you have the last word and wish you the best.

gogorath and TimB4Last repped this.
  5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Our programs started to struggle the minute Klinsmann dictated we play 4-3-3 no matter what.

6. That's not what I posted. Read again.
    To go back to the initial remark, it was Advocaat who broke the longstanding attitude of star players considering themselves untouchable, which was part of the failure of the Belgian teams to operate as a unity. Later coaches profited from that confrontation.
    The Martinez remark was about the feeling of supporters that he plays shit football= too defensive with the quality selection he has. They consider him to be a coach without balls.

7. The fans arenot delusional, you misread what I posted.

8. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Yep, and Tab Ramos almost didn’t qualify the U-20 team in 2015 until he switched to a 4-4-2 in the middle of the qualifying tournament.

9. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    If they do, I will take him in a heartbeat.

10. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Those fans are morons.

He freaking led the team to 3rd place in the World Cup. They have a very talented team, but they lost to France, like everyone else.

It's like the Jill Ellis criticism.

Belguim, please fire him. Not that USSF would move to get him, but he's a fantastic coach.

11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Netherlands through to the Semifinals, check.

Winoman, Peter Bonetti and Suyuntuy repped this.
  12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Netherlands through to the dreaded 3rd place match (v France), check.