2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sebsasour, May 12, 2019.

1. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005

Encouraging, not only for our chances at this u17 WC but for the program as a whole. That's a 420% increase in pro minutes compared to the 2017 cycle, which itself was a 71% increase from the 2015 cycle. Growth statistics like these is why people should be extremely bullish about the USMNT's prospects over the medium- to long-term.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Three, actually. Yunus Musah (England) was born in New York.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    @Balerion made the key point on this, I think.

In other words, the system is improving, and the players probably gain a little each age group from playing more pro games as opposed to academy games or college games, but the minutes being higher doesn't more than very marginally make a direct improvement towards the player pool. Either the players in an age group are good or they aren't. No amount of pro minutes is going to make an untalented player into a top level player.

At the same time, I think we have seen the level of play from the players in our system improve, but I think we see people use the minutes jump as proof that our players are better than what we had in prior teams, and I don't think that's sound logic. The judgement should come on an individual basis of the players ability, and the minutes jump should be used to prove that the system is improving.

Diceshooter, Pegasus and USSoccerNova repped this.
  4. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    I generally agree. I only left your point out of my post above for brevity's sake.

What I would say is that our ultimate player pool (outside of injuries) will be a product of the following equation:

Quality of player pool = (number of youngsters with the raw theoretical potential to be top internationals someday) X (percentage of that cohort who take soccer seriously enough) X (the degree to which they are empowered to reach/approach their potential)

We used to be incredibly weak on the last factor, but are making unprecedented and rapid progress on the degree to which we empower our player pool, in terms of: fully funded academies and scholarship spots; improved competition and training in the DA; the ability to train or play professional minutes at ever younger ages; and the quality/amount of scouting, which improves the ability for prospects to move to more optimal development environments, both domestically and abroad. This will lead to a larger percentage of our "prospects with potential" reaching the ever higher threshold of useful USMNT player as opposed to having their potential stunted as it has been in the past.

I also believe that improving economics, media coverage and cultural acceptance of soccer will lead more youngsters with potential to choose to focus on soccer versus other sports. This will also positively affect the end quality of the USMNT pool.

In short, the future is bright. We should all enjoy the journey! :)

TarHeels17, ielag and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. Its all about opportunities for these elite youngsters.

The number that stood out to me in that graph was the number of first team minutes that members of this U17 team have already accrued. These are the Ricardo Pepi types. That was the biggest surprise of the FCD youth cohort. Luchi Gonzalez continued playing Pepi even after his designated player returned from injury (Christian Colman).

The reserve team bar is great. It's really important that we've constructing our reserve teams. But ultimately, that's "par for the course." The kids at a minimum should be playing for the reserve teams. That's what they're there for.

TarHeels17 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. Can't find anything about it. It's as if the WC U17 is non existent.

7. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    https://www.onsoranje.nl/nieuws/jeu...lectie-onder-18-voor-laatste-test-voor-het-wk

Netherlands roster is out. It's good, but not great. They've gone from a favorite to simply a strong team. This helps the USA but they will still be a stiff test.

With the group we have been given advancement in 3rd place will meet my expectations and anything better is a bonus.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #33 Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    FIFA released full tournament squadlists today:

https://www.fifadata.com/documents/FU17WC/2019/pdf/FU17WC_2019_Squadlists.pdf

There are several '04s on various rosters, including the tournament's youngest player, Mikayil Faye of Senegal.

These documents are typically also interesting reading if you care about players' full names. It appears Adam Armour is actually Adam Edouard Armour, which in sum presumably qualifies him for some kind of European passport even if he has no further claim to one.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Did we know KHF was unattached? Because he's listed as such on the official FIFA roster as such.

10. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Yeah he’s signing in Europe officially in the summer

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yes........................

Apparently his coach is Gary Kleiban for the moment.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I would say that each player is about an inch or two taller than what they are listed out. I don't know where they get the measurements from, but they don't look like up to date measurements.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  13. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    I'm pretty sure the measurements come from the team doctors. I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers are fairly accurate, these are kids who aren't done growing after all. Spain's numbers are not accurate but I'm guessing they didn't submit them.

Solomon Islands have 7 players under 5 feet tall, the shortest being 4'7"! Apparently Solomon Islands has more of a futsal background, which makes sense with their physical limitations. Italy averages around 5'11" per player so that will be quite a matchup.

14. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Gary's a performance trainer, too?!?! Dude does it all!!!

In all seriousness, Gary -- if you're listening... please tell me that kid has a proper trainer, and you aren't doing that yourself.

xbhaskarx, Eighteen Alpha and deejay repped this.
  15. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Just a couple days away from the kickoff of the tournament! It looks like Fox is showing 2 games per day on FS2, but Telemundo will have all of them. I don't know if anyone else is interested in the rest of the teams, but I love these youth tournaments so here's my thoughts group by group:

Group A: Brazil are the obvious favorites to win this group (and probably the whole thing). Angola is sneaky good, and have one of the more talented players as well in Zito Luvumbo, a winger who is being scouted by top European sides. Of all the African sides, Angola have the most firepower. Canada should be better than New Zealand, but NZ is usually able to keep it close in youth tournaments. NZ U17s have not had the same success as their U20s, historically.

Players to watch: Talles Magno (BRA), Zito (ANG), Jayden Nelson (CAN)

Group B: A weak group, none of the teams finished above 3rd in their qualifying tournaments. Ecuador looks like the likely strongest team, positive in possession and able to score goals in qualifying. Hungary is a classic European bunker side which often works well in these tournaments. Australia has some talent up front but will need to win the midfield to have a chance to advance. Nigeria has had historical success in U17s but has struggled since age verification was introduced and is at their first tournament in a while. This is a very open group that could go pretty much any direction.

Players to watch: Noah Botic (AUS), Johan Mina (ECU)

Group C: Hard to look past France, who again bring an absurd amount of talent to the tournament. In qualifying, Chile surrendered a large number of goals but also scored plenty of their own. Haiti plays a positive game as well. South Korea made it to a U20 WC final using fierce defending and relying on an offensive superstar, and will probably try to do the same here. France and SK should advance, with Chile or Haiti hoping for a 3rd place spot.

Players to watch: Adil Aouichiche (FRA), Cesar Perez (CHI)

Group D: Plenty of discussion already about this group. Definitely the toughest. I predict that Netherlands will win, and USA and Japan will advance in 2nd and 3rd. Senegal will struggle to earn a point.

Non-USA players to watch: Jun Nishikawa (JPN), Naci Unuvar (NED)

Group E: Argentina and Spain are traditional powers, but sometimes they get tripped up by sides that defend well and are happy to surrender possession. Unfortunately, Cameroon and Tajikistan fit the bill. Steve Mvoue for Cameroon is a star, and the U17 AFCON Golden Ball Winner. Tajikistan will rely on their goalkeeper. I expect one of Spain or Argentina to fail to advance.

Players to watch: Mvoue (CAM), Pedri (ESP), Mukhriddin (TAJ)

Group F: I hate watching Italy but there's no denying their style works. Mexico was embarrassed by them at the U20s and can earn some revenge here. Paraguay are decent but not at the Mexico/Italy level, and Solomon Islands are happy to be there. Solomon Islands will be hammered by each team as goal difference will be a factor in third place advancement.

Players to watch: Efra Alvarez (MEX), Sebastian Esposito (ITA), Rapheal Le'ai (SOL)

Luksarus, Namdynamo, Gacm32 and 6 others repped this.
  16. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Canada about to kick off against Brazil.

Tough opening game. I didn't think Canada would qualify as their coach is a bum, so this is a bonus.

Fun to watch a male Canada World Cup team for the first time since 2013. Jayden Nelson is a baller, let's see if he can have an impact.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Brazil up 1-0 at '16. Canada completely overmatched so far.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    '35 Canada has grown into the game with good possession, although not very threatening. Canadian attackers need to release the ball a bit quicker.

Jayden Nelson finding out that 1v1 moves that work in USSDA or USL don't work against against Brazilian defenders.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Canada gives up the dagger in '45. 2-0.

We are tactically naive. But, it's what was expected.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The operation they have set up will probably have two of their players making full national team debuts by the end of next year as a modest estimation..

21. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Llanez sure, but who else? I don’t think Ledezma is a Kleiban client but I could be wrong.

22. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    They had stretches where they looked good, but Brazil is so good everywhere and punishes mistakes.

This was always going to be a tough game but they can get a result against NZ and still make it through.

23. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Looks like it's going to end 4-1 for Brazil.

Canada has actually played pretty well 2nd half. We are possessing the ball and getting into interesting areas. We are playing the right way.

I'm fine with that against Brazil. It beats prior years of kick and run or constant running resulting in a smaller loss. Stupid defending will happen at this age for us, I accept that.

These kids are more technical than previous teams. They have ideas with the ball. They definitely have the ability to have some professional players in the future.

TarHeels17 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    ecuador consistently seems to have strong youth teams