2019 Dynamo Attendance Review

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Westside Cosmo, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just couldn’t resist another season of Dynamo attendance discussion - fair AND balanced - but I thought I would try not to pollute every game thread.

I’ll have more later (including tweets from the Dynamo Fan of the Year!!) but thought the below twitter thread was a a good start for a discussion:

http://mobile.twitter.com/victoraraiza/status/1107095829024829440

Two takeaways (3 really):

(1)nice job by Victor Araiza to address the issue;
    (2) John Walker not saying much in his quotes, not that I expected much but I have to think 3 weeks in that the depth of the problem is starting to become apparent
    (3) Wilmer Cabrera gets on the media but is the same guy who closed practice to the media last year!!!! WTH? What reality does Wilmer live in? Get the feeling he just sees his job to coach

nbrooks503 repped this.
  2. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In our recent past, all of us witnessed our FO delivering a minor league experience in a Major League venue for a Major League team. Thus, our very soccer savvy population has said back to our FO "no thank you". Look, all of us used to go to a college venue to support our Major League team but once we moved to our own home and we started to endure sub par game day experiences, again, people stayed at home. Or worse, stopped caring all together and did something else with their time. Thus, what is always so vital to MLS success in any city, our FO has to continually grow the soccer market in our great city. For once the soccer folks have their candles burn out, there is little fire for the league with so many other options to be had for the sport. And then there are the other sports options in town. It was apparent that our FO had no clue what to do when the perfect storm of not good Dynamo football collided at the same time with Astros and Rockets bossing their leagues. Teams that are Houston pillars of fan devotion.

Also, on Dash attendance and how the two teams of ours exist, I found this on that Twitter banter:
    I have been a
    @HoustonDash
    season tix holder for 3 years. This year taking my girls to
    @FIFAWWC
    instead. No one from organizing ever called to ask why I did not renew. On the board of
    @DynamosSC
    so I’m an influencer! Stunning!

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fan of the Year, good ol' Tangerine Man Web Tilton seems to subscribe to the Jay Adelberg "Circle of Suck Blame The Fans" reason:

There is more in this thread - usually the "I'm done arguing here" is when you have no answers. And the FO has been part of the problem (historically under the Canetti regime)

4. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    It's simple to say: It's the fans fault. It's the media's fault. It's the owners fault.

It's a little bit of everyone's fault.

Ownership for waiting for it to get this bad before acting last year and its general financial tightness and many other things. Canetti for running the franchise straight into the ground. The fans for being driven off and not returning despite the fact that the on the field play has improved dramatically in two years and there was a leadership change last summer. Cabrera for his practice restrictions - like they matter. The media for general apathy.

Plenty of places to point fingers - very little room for solutions. I feel like an alcoholic approaching rock bottom. The sad part is it's not hear yet.

ElNaranja, Westside Cosmo and *rey* repped this.
  5. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    man, i wish i could find my post from 4-5 years ago from the Owen Coyle-era when some of these problems began to manifest themselves. i remember sounding the alarms and the orange kool-aid drinkers (there were still several of them on here) shutting me down. a lot of the current problems could've been avoided or at least minimized.

6. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed rey!
    In the past I would email Oliver and he would take the time to respond, respond to any fan really, and that meant he understood to listen to someone's insight. Oliver was good at having his ear to the ground.
    When Canetti ran the club, I emailed him as well about the specific concerns and problems that were growing for our Dynamo. I brought the issues to the table, and emailed him how best to sort them out before they grow like a cancer in our club. Free insight from a guy like me that did run a minor league soccer team here in town.
    The responses were generic and aloof liners like, "We are doing our best" and then no answers from him became the norm these last 4 seasons. Canetti lead us to face Major League problems and confronted them, at best, with minor league mindset. Which mostly consisted of firing staff and cutting everything from our Dynamo Girls to promotional gifts to social events for team, FO and fans.

*rey* repped this.
  7. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The MLS needs to figure out how to grab La Liga and Liga MX fans in Houston, Dallas, and Los Angeles. Football is huge, but people are apathetic towards MLS. It’s likely going to take star power.

CeltTexan and *rey* repped this.
  8. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To my mind the blame really rests with ownership. They are running a franchise that has failed to recognize the league has changed and continues to keep changing. Owners with deeper pockets who are willing to spend on impact and name players. New teams are coming on board and we are still reliving the glory years of 14 years ago (the video intro at the start of matches).

I don't think you can blame Canetti if he was given a budget and had to stick to it. has play really improved over the last two years? We got Ellis, Manotas and Quioto, but the defense was not addressed - and that probably comes down to $$$. We didn't make the playoffs and no-one really cared or were held accountable.

Media has always been apathetic, but restricting practice is lame because it drove off those media folks who bothered to show up (although realistically they're about as media related as I am). The only time I can remember media bothering to turn out was when they catered lunch :).

The splitting of the organization into team ops and business ops actually gives cover and no-one is really accountable. You can't hold business ops accountable if STH's have left in droves because of the poor performance of the team, and you can't hold team ops accountable if you extend the contract of the coach when the team didn't even come close to making the playoffs.

But it's definitely not the fans fault. This ain't the UK where a team is handed down from father to son (sorry parent to child) and you stay with the team and suffer through the down years and cheer on the good years. Americans are too demanding and fickle to do that.

7seven7 repped this.
  9. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the mexican yeti search continues!!

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  10. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canetti thought it would be better to rebrand as minor league baseball team

ElNaranja, CeltTexan and *rey* repped this.
  11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had thought at one time a Liga MX team would try a Chivas USA-type squad by buying the Dynamo and remarketing, without the blatant racial preferences of the Goats.

Instead we got an ownership group who runs the team like it’s a group of Burger King franchises

12. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To the older Latino that has been living in our nation for decades now, they still recall when MLS started and went rogue against FIFA standards with a clock running down and the run up n kick shoot outs to decide ties. Basically repeating what the NASL suits thought would work by Americanizing the beautiful game. Which Latinos and our nations other ethnic groups wanted to have a league to take their kids to but those goofy gimmicks really was a blow to MLS's credibility in the eyes of so many footy die hards. 24 seasons later and as I have witnessed it as an inner city coach, the youth Latino kinda follows MLS but it still isn't "cool" to go all in for your city's crest n colors. They still hear their uncles n dads perhaps low talk MLS at the dinner table having never forgiven those MLS early years with the goofy ideas and we all must recall so many immigrants to our nation just get confused with the general lack of respect the sport receives in our media. An issue that MLS HQ should have aggressively taken task to and cut that Gordian Knot in half with education and promotion of the sport. Their confusion quickly grows into apathy, like if your own locals don't care in such large numbers, what is it to me to anchor my support for this MLS adventure.

Heft repped this.
  13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *rey* repped this.
  14. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7seven7 repped this.
  15. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Hector Moreno - yes, please. still so good we can play with 10 men and let him play both CB positions. seriously tho, he's cleans some much sht up that you can pair him with a Fuenmayor-type or that young academy CB for them to learn.

Andres Guardado - class all around. like a honda civic this guy is going to play until his knees fall out.

Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez - in before, someone says he sucks! he's closing in on 100 goals in Europe while playing in 3 of the top 5 leagues (Premiership, Bundesliga, La Liga). i wish i wouldve sucked that bad at soccer.

pipe dreams though, there's still plenty of Honduran internationals that we havent signed!

16. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This “713 Deal” sounds great until you try to buy a ticket and realize there’s like $4.50 in fees on top of the $7 ticket. It’s still a cheap ticket but 60% fees are annoying to some.

Someone who goes to the game let me know if the $3 beer is at one small stand serving smaller cups on the other side of the stadium.

FO does seem to have gotten some positive online responses to this, although 2 of the 3 Dynamo games are midweek during school year. It’s a band-aid but a start.

Canetti probably would have wanted to promote a “979” plan!!!

17. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    protip - call a tix rep and the tix are $7 with no service charge.

Dynam0 repped this.
  18. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the beers and hot dogs are probably the same as the happy hour ones. meaning the beer will be a regular sized (12z) beer and available and at all four sides of the stadium.

I'm curious as to where the GA tickets will be

i know necessity breeds invention but i'm still happy that the new boss is not like the old boss. at least not when it comes to fan choices at the stadium

*rey* repped this.
  19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the Dynamo have sold out of the $7 tickets (BOGO @ $14) for Saturday which sounds great but if you look at the remaining seats available, you've got vast sections of available seats.

There's a lot of "great job FO" but what does it say that the only way to move tickets is price them below a movie ticket? I'm not crapping on this effort, but unless you see regular price tickets move I'd put away the marketing awards

http://www.reddit.com/r/dynamo/comments/bawdbg/sold_out_7_ga_tickets_this_saturday/

20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This site below is a good summary each week of MLS attendance. Dynamo down 15% from 2018 average attendance thru 4 home games based on “announced” attendance (eye test looks much worse than prior years). On the positive, other teams are down more on a percentage basis.

Amazing to think 2012-2016 average attendance was 20,000. Even in 2016 they averaged 19,000.

Now we have to do $7 tickets and BOGO free just to scrape 14,000.

http://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2019-mls-attendance/

CeltTexan and *rey* repped this.
  21. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    #21 *rey*, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    btw, it couldnt have come at a worst time. i swear im not Webbing you: these team(s) while not world beaters have been exciting to watch. i have only missed the Tigres game this year and have had a good time at all of them.

even the Dash game yesterday. PK save in the 93rd minute. get out of here with that! also, the weather has been fantastic and only a slight nuisance even with the extreme weather of the Guastatoya and SJE.

22. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine an MLS front office that can cultivate new fans to the most dominate sport on our planet.

23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's too bad but 2015-2016 killed the market for both the Dynamo and Dash and the Astros sort of sucked up the rest of the market. Dynamo ownership and Canetti did it to themselves with their cheapness and contempt for the customer. Permanently reduced the fanbase

*rey* repped this.
  24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    15,557 the "announced" attendance last night. Some pics below courtesy of Empty Seats Pics. Given that it was a cancer promotional night with MD Anderson, probably gave quite a few away to that cause or sponsor.

Of course, my view doesn't count the alleged 5,000 fans in the Heineken Bar that some clam.

2019 average down roughly 15% from 2018 and about 18% from 2017.

25. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States