PBP: 2019 CONCACAF U17 Championship Quarterfinals: USA vs Panama 5/12 2 PM (ET)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sebsasour, May 9, 2019.

1. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey just means we're saving up three goals for the semis and finals. Maybe that's 2-0 v Canada and 1-0 v Mexico

USSoccerNova repped this.
  2. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    Great take, although it would clearly be uno a cero vs Canada and dos a cero vs Mexico!

um_chili repped this.
  3. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Even though I see the LAG DA teams play on occasion I still am impressed with KHF. I mentioned him in an earlier post but I'll repeat some of it here- his passing is outstanding, and it's no surprise that time and again the other defenders laid the ball off to him. His vision and game understanding are excellent. He didn't connect every pass, but he made some very good ones, and because his passing technique is so reliable he is an important part of getting the ball out of the back. It's so hard to predict how these players will develop, but right now he's in my top three players on this team.

4. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Agree. His technique in striking a ball regardless of a 30 yard shot or a simple 10 year pass is exceptional.

I think his ultimate best position is as a LWB in a 3-5-2, but he’s incredibly versatile (and athletic) that I could even see him as a deep lying 6.

Our 2 best prospects in the ‘02 class might both be LB’s with Kobe and Bello.

USSoccerNova and Peretz48 repped this.
  5. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well yeah but it's still something to be ********in' happy about. I think this paragraph applies equally well to the senior team but given the potential pitfalls of the process, the hard work it takes to get there, and the excitement of confirming you'll be part of the WC, a little celebration is in order--and not at all inconsistent with the notion that qualification is to be expected of programs of a certain caliber.

And while MNT qualifying is clearly harder, there is one respect in which the u17 process is more challenging: It's down to one single game. The US dominated this tournament, outscoring opponents 23-3 in their first four games, clearly one of the best four teams in the region, but if on this day they'd screwed up and had one bad and/or unlucky game, they'd be eliminated. Say what you will about the hex, at least it gives teams some room for error (ask Mexico 2014, but do not for the love of sweet baby Jesus ask USA 2018).

ifsteve, Patrick167 and zlebmada repped this.
  6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Players must operate in dynamic time, so a ten year pass would be extraordinarily challenging, not simple.

SUDano repped this.
  7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Regarding Reyna's "selfishness" in these games, has anyone considered that it may come down to specific instructions given to him by Wicky? Before the start of the tournament he was really stressing Reyna's role and how he wanted to see him on the ball as much as possible:

"There are a lot of different variations for him but I want to put him in positions where he touches the ball a lot because he has the potential and quality to create chances."

As @kingshark stated, you can find plenty of examples that demonstrate his vision and decision making: defense-splitting passes, cross-field switches, etc. So I wouldn't start worrying too much about his soccer IQ based on a few games from this tournament.

autobus39 repped this.
  8. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    U-17 Championships. Qualified

U-20 Championships. Qualified

Coach Kreis, your turn next....

Winoman and ifsteve repped this.
  9. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    be very interesting how he mixes older, bigger stronger players with the already young U20's.