Pre-match: 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup Quarterfinal: USA vs Curacao - June 30th

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    This is an A-team Gold Cup. We've only won three of those ever.

This one, even if devalued with no CWC, is still important. And Egg is a new manager, trying to get the fans behind him.

It makes complete sense he's trying to win it. Playing youth is important, but at this point it's a trap: he'd lose, and the let's-fire-the-manager movement would gain traction.

As a matter of fact, I don't think it's a coincidence those who want him out ASAP are also the ones who wish he were played a young, inexperienced, more likely to lose team.

2. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not outside of Columbus

3. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

USSF not leaking the captain this time.

I'm seeing a bunch of the white "vaporknit" USA shirts popping up on clearance. I think I need to grab one.

4. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I don't know if this distinction makes sense before the 2002 World Cup. The 2002 Gold Cup, for example, clearly looks like a "B team" Gold Cup to me. It would probably need to be judged on a case-by-case basis.

*although I wasn't paying much attention to the sport in the 1990s ;)

5. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    kennytt and Dr. Gamera repped this.
  6. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not a coincidence in the way that you're implying.

Sarachan's rosters were good, except for the continued inclusion of Captain Trapp. If 3G gave us Sarachan-like rosters, people wouldn't set the bar at winning the Gold Cup, and people would expect results like the ones we saw against Jamaica/Venezuela.

But, 3G went all-in on winning now. So those results aren't acceptable. And losing, unless it's a tight game against Mexico in the Final, isn't acceptable

7. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Same lineup as the first two games. Pulisic captains his return to Pennsylvania.

8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Sigh.

Such faint expectations for the USMNT. Pretty sad.

9. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tournament will be a failure if we fail to win, that's always going to be the case when you're the 2nd best team in a tournament.

That doesn't mean losing to a team that's better than you is freakout worthy

10. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Why is this even a thing? Was winning the gold cup in 2017 a good thing for MLS? What about not qualifying for the WC?

I think this tournament has been a terrible advertisement for the Americans in MLS. I'm not sure if any of them look like they should be starters and only a few should be comsidered in the pool.

sXeWesley and yurch10 repped this.
  11. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im a little bothered to not have any updates on pulisic getting to see his dog

12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    This, coupled with Sebsasaur’s “losing to Mexico shouldn’t be unexpected” perspective above puts MLS and its supporters in a no-lose situation if they make the finals.

I could see how this is the mantra for Garber and his team every night before bedtime.

It bodes poorly for the USMNT, of course, but I can see the logic in that we’re good enough to make the finals, particularly if Costa Rica is in the other bracket and limited downside in the finals.

I personally can’t imagine not expecting to beat Mexico dos a cero at home. The only time a loss is excusable is at azteca

nbarbour and yurch10 repped this.
  13. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a Gold Cup and we're in it. So why not try to win it? And if we do, hey that's great, and Don Garber and friends will highlight that it was largely MLS players. What's the problem? I think the team looks alright so far, and I think Berhalter has, given the injuries, picked the best 23 available. I don't know what all the whining is about. The pool is what we thought it was.

I

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    #114 Suyuntuy, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Egg is trying to win this puppy so:

a) Losing to Curaçao = fireable offense. He'd have to be kicked out right after the game.

b) Losing semi to Jamaica = big black eye, and he should be kept on a short leash. A couple of defeats starting the qualifiers and goodbye it is.

c) Making the final but losing it badly = grumpily accept that's where we are at this point and remark we could use a better coach.

d) Losing the final in a tight manner = accept that's our level and Egg is not doing a bad job, keep waiting to see what he does after.

e) Winning the final against a depleted Mexico = admit we did better than expected based on the friendlies and grudgingly praise Egg.

f) Destroying Mexico in the final = start calling Egg Berhalter.

15. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

For myself, I'm not going to change my sig till he gets to the GC Finals.

16. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gold Cup attendance for a US-Mex final would be nowhere as friendly for US as a WCQ in Columbus. If US has 50% fan attendance in Chicago assuming a US- Mex final, that would be good.

17. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    This roster is worse than what people thought the pool would be and I dont think this is close to our best 23. I think the team has struggled most of the tournament and hasnt put any of the three weak teams we have played away in the first 60 minutes.

You think Mihailovic, Roldan, Trapp, Lewis, Gonzo, etc are in the best 23 eligible players?

If they dont win this little tournament, I hope many point out that it was mostly MLS players and the top few players that were difference makers were non-MLS players.

Cynical US fan repped this.
  18. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We need a lot of defense from Arriola and Boyd...oh, and MB.

Btw, MM? I was hoping to see him get some mins, but skunked again.

19. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tyler Adams -- injured
    John Brooks -- injured
    DeAndre Yedlin -- injured
    Seb Lleget -- injured (or was at start)
    Duane Holmes -- injured
    Josh Sargent -- rusty
    Antonee Robinson -- not good enough
    Cameron Carter-Vickers -- I was a bit surprised by his exclusion, but he does have a propensity to commit fouls, which could be costly

I think they are in the top 35, and with injuries, perhaps can provide cover for the starting 11 as one of the 22 substitutes.

ChrisSSBB repped this.