2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup: Opponents Watch

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All non USMNT Gold Cup discussion.

Tournament has just kicked off, and Canada has a 1-0 lead over Martinique at the break. Mexico plays Cuba tonight

Winoman and Magikfute repped this.
  2. Krell

Krell Member

Sporting KC
    United States
    Jun 15, 2019
    Hoilett just bounced in another. 3-0 canada now. Martinique should have scored on a couple of those shots though. Feels like there are more goals still to come

3. Krell

Krell Member

Sporting KC
    United States
    Jun 15, 2019
    Arfield with another. Canada having a better 2nd half.

4. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yes, Canada's been much better this half. They're finishing the chances they create and have cut down on the dumb gaffes at the back.

5. Poet

Poet Member+

Mar 13, 2001
    Toledo, Ohio
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprised Davies not in on the act yet. 10 minutes yet to go though...

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You can see Piette - Kaye partnership working but Kaye is at left fullback and Piette is at 6. Move Kaye to 6, let Piette range in the 8 area and with Arfield at the 10 they will have a decent midfield. Davies has been rippin it on the left wing so I'd give him that whole left side to range and put 3 cb's in the back because that's where the team is weakest. David seems capable at the 9. Osorio works as a second striker. Like they say, conventional wisdom is that back line is the problem for this team.

----------------------------------david(9)
    ------------------osorio-(ss)
    -------------------------arfield-(10)------
    ----davies-(7)------------------piette(8)
    ------------------------kaye(6)
    -----------cb--------cb-------cb-------rb(telfer?))
    ---------------------------gk:

7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Davies was fouled, red card worthy, early on. He has shied out of contact a bit ever since. I was surprised he stayed on the field. This is CONCACAF and the best get hammered to the ground without calls very often. A successful Gold Cup for top teams (the two or three there are) is getting through without serious injury.

8. Krell

Krell Member

Sporting KC
    United States
    Jun 15, 2019
    Final Canada 4-0 Martinique. Good result after a rocky first half. Let's see what canada can do against mexico next.

9. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Was it really a rocky first half? Defensively, yes. But Canada look very good going forward.

10. Krell

Krell Member

Sporting KC
    United States
    Jun 15, 2019
    That's true. On the ball they looked good. Martinique should have had atleast 1 maybe 2 in that first half though. Canada also could have had a couple of more too.

11. Krell

Krell Member

Sporting KC
    United States
    Jun 15, 2019
    2 minutes in Antuna taps it in. 1-0 mexico

12. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it bums me out canada has so much more reason to be optimistic than we do. good start for them, they need to cut out missteps in this sort of match (which has plagued them) to take that next step up. nice, decisive win.

TOAzer repped this.
  13. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mmmm, sorta. If we give up those chances to Guyana, we should be ashamed. Martinique should've been leading by 1-2 goals at half. Second half, Canada made their pressure count, but that D looks aaaaawful.

14. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I think there's a lot of reason to be optimistic. Just not for this moment.

15. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico needs to stop celebrating!!!!!!!!!!1 :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

2in10, wixson7 and Poet repped this.
  16. Poet

Poet Member+

Mar 13, 2001
    Toledo, Ohio
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know. But wait...is it 8 goals? Or 3? Maybe its 18. Sheesh...Stu will never live that crap down in my book.

17. Poet

Poet Member+

Mar 13, 2001
    Toledo, Ohio
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if it is the same gig as 10 years ago or so, but how many of these Cuban players make it back to their rooms tonight for a head count?

18. Poet

Poet Member+

Mar 13, 2001
    Toledo, Ohio
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next game Mexico and Canada should reveal something about both teams. Isn't tourney time great? I've missed it...,

wixson7, TOAzer and CMeszt repped this.
  19. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martinique is way better than Guyana. Remember the last Gold Cup? The one in 2017? The one we won? I do. We defeated Martinique 3-2, and it was one of our tougher matches.
    Read https://www.google.com/search?q=usa+martinique+soccer&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS839US839&oq=usa+martinique+

Or see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsJDJbLwrQg&feature=onebox

I think Canada did just fine in getting over their jitters and taking command of the game.

Every Four Years repped this.
  20. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Canada always finds ways to disappoint in the most disappointing way possible. The fact that they've got a decent roster is going to make it all the more heartbreaking. The fact they're on the harder side of the bracket doesn't help things.

21. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, they have no right to celebrate. You need to hit at least double digit goals to get the right to jiggy to USWNT Gang'nem Style.....;)

22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The wet-foot-dry-foot policy is over.

23. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mexico has a real problem. They really need to work on better hiding their expressions and body language that says, "What the hell are we doing playing this crappy team." It was clear for most of the match that the Mexicans felt they could stop Cuba any time they wanted to, although that attitude actually got them in just a little trouble a couple of times, and that they could produce a scoring chance at will.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with them feeling that way, it was clear from the match it was quite true. The problem is that they showed that attitude for all to see. That just makes their easy victory, only five players for Mexico really needed a shower after the match (no sweat), seem a bit less important.

They deserved to be at least as arrogant as they were, they just need to make winning look a little more like they had to work to earn it.

24. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :coffee:

25. Poet

Poet Member+

Mar 13, 2001
    Toledo, Ohio
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I'm down for that. However it comes to be, would live to see another Ozzie or Maykel prowling MLS.