Pre-match: 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup Group Stage: USA vs Guyana

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jun 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're extremely lucky to be here. They only qualified thanks to goal differential. They earned 9 points in 4 qualifying matches beating Belize, Barbados, and Turks and Caicos Islands while losing to French Guiana.

That Barbados match was actually a 2-2 draw, however Barbados used an ineligible player which gave Guyana a 3-0 victory. If that draw held, Montserrat would be in The Gold Cup instead.

The team mostly consists of domestic league players or guys in the very low levels of English football.

3 noteworthy names are...

Warren Creavalle - Former US U20 player, who's had a somewhat decent MLS career with 146 career MLS caps since 2012. He has featured in 6 games this year for The Union and started in 2.

Callum Harriot - Former England U19 player. Most of his games have been in League One, though he has been at Reading in The Championship since 2016. Playing time has been hard for him to come by though as he only has 24 caps in that span and was just released by Reading. He filed his one time switch in March.

Terell Ondaan - Former Dutch youth player who has just filed his one time switch, and will be making his NT debut during this tournament. He's probably the most interesting player in this squad. He spent this last season in Holland's 2nd tier, however he spent the 4 season before that in The Eredivisie, and earned a very respectable 89 caps in that span.

2. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Is there a difference? Is the salt cod better on on side or something?

3. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    “Playing for Jonestown United...”

SteelyTom and TOAzer repped this.
  4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Too soon...

nowherenova, wixson7 and Winoman repped this.
  5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Whose memory is any good?

tomásbernal and Sebsasour repped this.
  6. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not mine but I can’t remember what cause my short term memory to suffer.

bostonsoccermdl and Winoman repped this.
  7. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Boston, MA USA
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gregg's late sub of Blake Bortles fails miserably.

russ, TOAzer, CyphaPSU and 2 others repped this.
  8. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I screamed out loud and threw a beer bottle as I was reading your post.

10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    The cause was probably reading jokes like this ...

Patient "Doctor, I've been having this terrible problem with my memory - I can't seem to remember anything from one moment to the next."

Doctor I'm sorry to hear that. How long has this been going on?

Patient "How long has what been going on?"

truefan420 repped this.
  11. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Patient Doctor, my wife is sick, but I can't tell if it is Alzheimer's disease or AIDS. What do I do?

Doctor
    Well, my best advice is to take her out into the woods and leave her. Then, if she finds her way home, don't sleep with her...

kennytt and truefan420 repped this.
  12. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    That is simply incredible. Montserrat's population is 5,200 people and is the smallest nation in all of FIFA. From 1995 until 2012, Montserrat didn't win a single game. Perhaps not coincidentally, also in 1995, a catastrophic volcanic eruption destroyed the capital city and caused two-thirds of the population to flee the island. The southern half of the island is still a volcanic exclusion zone, as the volcano is still active. In 2017, the total gross value of exports from Montserrat was $5.7 million USD.

That Montserrat almost made it into the Gold Cup, ostensibly the showcase of CONCACAF's finest - I don't know if that's inspiring for Montserrat, or a bit embarrassing for everyone who finished below them.

russ, tomásbernal, Deep Wilcox and 3 others repped this.
  13. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, they were eliminated on the final day. I became emotionally invested in their run, and was legitimately heartbroken when they missed out.

14. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    This game will be interesting. We should totally tear them apart in every part of the field and win by at least 6. 7-0 would make sense to me. Problem is that this US team is ill prepared so this game will be in essence a warm up match for the tournament.
    The team will need to get adjusted to each other with only practices to prepare.

I think we will win but it will not be pretty. I expect 3-1 win with a lot of criticism thrown At GB and deservedly so.

15. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I hope you are right and what you say is pretty much what I have been saying in that I think we should win against any team in our group by at least 3 goals and against the soccer nothing that is Guyana we should win by 6 or 7 at least.

However the ability to under-perform that the US has shown recently could easily reduce that to 2 or 3 and a few breaks the wrong way could make it become a 1 or 2 goal loss.

Guyana is so bad that I think it is very unlikely that enough will go wrong to completely turn the result around but if you had told me a couple of weeks ago that we would lose two friendlies at how to the soccer nobodies of Jamaica and Venezuela by a total score of 4-0 I would have thought that was insane and virtually impossible.

Now I am not going go into any match with any assumption other than the match will start with 11 players for each side and that at sometime during the match someone at the back of the US formation will do something hideously stupid. (When I first typed "hideously" I made some typos and the spell check suggested "hilariously," I almost accepted it as it fit as well as what I intended. ;) )

I am not even sure I will watch the Gold Cup matches unless the US gets out of its group but I am afraid I then will not get to see the men for a long time so I will probably watch the group matches.

Winoman repped this.
  16. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    This caught my eye when I was looking at their squad today. He's not exactly Shalrie Joseph, but should give them a bit of professionalism.

BrianLBI and Geneva repped this.
  17. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Look, all I'm saying is sports are actually more fun when your spirit is completely broken and you're completely dead and hollowed out inside.

Did I mention in the other thread I'm a Detroit Lions fan?

russ and wixson7 repped this.
  18. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  19. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Usually I'd say worst case against a team like these guys is something like the first ten minutes against St. Vincent when we embarrassed ourselves conceding early.

Though you're missing out if you're not watching the Gold Cup group stage (especially the non-US games). It's an orgy of pure CONCACAF.

wixson7 repped this.
  20. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can’t wait to read the non sense written by the MLS about how Jozy or Zardes are the best strikers because they score against them. Even tho they fail time and time again when it really matters.

21. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Magikfute and tomásbernal repped this.
  22. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's Guyana's GC roster by team:
    MLS - 1
    USL - 1
    CPL - 2
    England 6th tier - 1
    England 5th tier - 4
    England 3rd tier - 2
    England 4th tier - 2
    England 2nd tier - 1
    England amateur league - 2
    Dutch 2nd tier - 1
    T&T - 1
    Domestic - 4
    Suriname - 1

Ghost, skim172 and Winoman repped this.
  23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    A roster that brings tiers to one's eyes?

swedust, russ, Magikfute and 7 others repped this.
  24. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I'm not worried about Guyana, even though I expect us to look pretty pedestrian getting through them. I think we have to basically bank on some magic by Pulisic and hope Adams can shore things up in the defense to get through both T&T and Panama as we're a worse team at this point in time using the players and tactics we have in the last couple games than we were when we lost in Couva. I do not think it is beyond the pale to see this team failing to get out of the group although if I were a betting man, I'd expect us to scrape through basically due to Pulisic and Adams.