2019 CONCACAF Champions League Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Yoshou, Jul 25, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Russian? It writes the language a bit too well. Maybe a sleeper cell?
    upload_2018-9-11_22-42-12.png
    That's quite the hiatus.

sitruc repped this.
  2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi, moderator of the forum here. Just a reminder that you should be cognizant of which forum you are in. We certainly don’t require you to be a fan of the league to post here, but we do require that, like all guests, you don’t agitate the locals. If you’d like to continue posting in this forum, I do suggest you tone things down a few notches. :)

3. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Fine by me. But the toning down things work both ways not just for me.

4. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Could be. You never know.

5. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll just note that you are the guest and you walked into our house and said you hated the decor.. There is bound to be a negative reaction. :)

soccersubjectively, jaykoz3 and sitruc repped this.
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you can’t handle my gifs then you're not going to have a good time when the truly outspoken posters show up...

SiberianThunderT, TOAzer, DBR70 and 2 others repped this.
  7. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I have no problem with ideas, conversations, etc. It's the condescending replys that just make it look bad. And I noticed that a lot here on the MLS forums. I haven't followed the league since its beginnings and by the looks of it that is terms for dismissal around here.

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like coming into the primary MLS forum and calling it a shit league with nothing to back that statement up?

9. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  10. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sooo... About that CCL.. How about we go back to talking about that? :)

TOAzer repped this.
  11. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  12. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That is a perfect way for MLS to show to the world that it is a serious league that should be considered among the best in the world. That was the plan from the beginning, right, to become the best league? Or has that changed? The problem with MLS, and I will get shit for saying this, but it rules suck thus why the league sucks. MLS can't compete on an international level with things such as salary cap and all the bells and whistles it comes with it; TAM, GAM, YAM, jelly Jam and everything that ends with AM. Maybe MLS won't have enough time to make the club WC by 2021 but it will have 4 years after that to really get the training wheels off and let the clubs compete at an international level too, not only domestically. The mediocre owners will be weeded out eventually and the real competitive owners that want to spend will be on top. Salary cap is an excuse to protect mediocre owners who just refuse to spend. I know, I know.. . "salary cap is for parity", supposedly. Without money you can't compete against Liga MX let alone against the top Euro clubs. But for many fans and hardcore defenders of MLS and even the MLS suits will be content by watching from the sidelines while Liga MX gets to play against the top Euro clubs. And spare me the excuse of La Liga having only two or sometimes three clubs worth a damn. La Liga has no play offs which is what really should be considered "parity". You can see it most of the time in Liga MX, the big (moneywise) clubs falling to the smaller clubs in their play offs. Play offs are the true equalizer because you can do great all season only to have a bad two game streak and lose the chance to become Champion.

And before I get booted out because I am the "visitor" that should say nothing bad about MLS, I am not trolling or trying to cause any controversy.

13. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you should learn that the Club World Cup is currently held EVERY year before posting, eh?o_O

Not to mention that the Club World Cup is not a measuring stick, it's a complete money grab by FIFA.

Bring some facts next time you decide to wander over to the MLS N&A threads.

ceezmad and JasonMa repped this.
  14. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  15. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    And if a Club World Cup is just a money grab from FIFA what does that make a World Cup? A money grab too? Cause if it is, then all sports competition are money grabs.

And yes, a new format club world cup could be a measuring stick instead of using hypothetical scenarios. You play directly against the best.

16. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL, that has yet to be finalized. Planning to revamp, and actually revamping are two different things. Not to mention that FIFA's member nations/Confederations will need to sign off on a new format. It's not guaranteed to happen. Pro clubs complain about the competition now, how do you think they'll view a new expanded format that for most clubs takes place immediately AFTER a 10 month season has concluded?

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  17. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Well, safe the post for later on down the road. We will find out soon rather than later. And then you can LOL all you want and tell me to bring facts.

18. AeroNaught

AeroNaught Member+

Atlanta United
    Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank goodness the semifinals are only a week away.....

I'm going Motagua and Herediano in the final, although I could see Arabe Unido sneaking in there on away goals or something.

19. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    We know all those things. Since your intent is mostly to critique MLS maybe you should post in You Be the Don. For the most part people here are focused on the competition and the teams on hand.

JasonMa repped this.
  20. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This will be my last post since this is a CL thread. My intent is not to criticize in the way many of you think. And I am not insulting anyone personally either as some have towards me. People get more offended around here for "insulting" a league or team than they do for insulting them directly. Many of you are in defense mode because you all have been MLS fans for years and get shit for the league. What I just said are things that I think would improve the league overall and make it competitive. Would the changes be made because I said so or anyone around the forum said so? Nope! As a new fan to the league I see flaws and see why it falls short in CCL. And like any fan of a team, in this case a league, can start bitching and moaning about its team sucking always and being in last place because he wants to win. But then I see fans, MLS fans, that have been for years, want to sugar coated with cherry on top and don't want anyone to talk bad about their league even if its constructive criticism. It is seen as an insult. Just relax, I see MLS too, not as long as many of you here though. I want MLS to improve and sugar coating it and trying to shut everyone down that talks negative is not going to do much either. It is exactly the same thing MLS does when someone speaks bad about their refs. They fine them to shut them down.

21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yup. We know the issues. There are various opinions about them. We older fans tend to be impatient with it because we have gone over this so many times already.

22. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #97 ThreeApples, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Here are the current point totals (games played in parentheses) for the combined two-season US-MLS table to take the CCL place that couldn't be given to Toronto. If the top team in this table, SKC, this year's Open Cup champ, or a Canadian team wins MLS Cup 2018, the #2 team will also qualify for CCL. Kansas City is left out due to being already qualified. Other teams not listed are mathematically eliminated or close to it.

NYC 106 (63)
    NYR 105 (62)
    ATL 99 (61)
    RSL 99 (62)
    CLB 97 (61)
    POR 97 (61)
    DAL 95 (61)
    SEA 94 (60)

23. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    onefineesq repped this.
  24. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ArsenalMetro and rslfanboy repped this.
  25. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Only a few days until the 2019 CCL appetizer that is the Campeones Cup.

Unlike the Superliga I don't mind this one. It doesn't set out to undermine the confederation's elite club competition. Although alternating hosts between MLS and Liga MX would be desirable.