2019 CONCACAF Champions League Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Yoshou, Jul 25, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Jokes aside, why hasn't the US ever bid for this thing? You'd think the ICC people in Miami would love it.

EDIT: or even South America. The first tournament in Brazil was quite well attended...

2. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minneapolis is nicer. :)

jayd8888 repped this.
  3. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Just have it outdoors in Montreal.

Bluecat82 repped this.
  4. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004

Good bye CWC.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  5. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Burnley!!!!!

TheJoeGreene and CeltTexan repped this.
  6. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Money. FIFA always wanted significant financial guarantees. Guarantees that only Japan, the UAE and Morocco have been willing to pay so far.

European participation in the expanded CWC will also come down to one factor. Money.

Ismitje repped this.
  7. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    How can this CWC afford the Euro teams? They'd need to pay UCL numbers without UCL interest.

cthomer5000 repped this.
  8. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    When Infantino tried to push the expanded tournament through previously he had a secret consortium willing to pay USD 12-13 billion for four editions. So about USD 3 billion per CWC edition. A fully transparent process may not yield quite as much but Infantino clearly thinks he can make it work.

9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's a shame that this CWC won't be done well, if at all, because the format almost creates itself.

Pot 1: 8 UEFA (4 CL winners + 4 Europa)
    Pot 2: 8 CONMEBOL (4 Copa Lib winners + 4 Copa Sud)
    Pot 3: 4 AFC and 4 CAF (Champions League winners)
    Pot 4: 4 Concacaf and 4 OFC (Champions League winners)

If a team wins multiple CLs, pass down slots to runners-up based on some uniform ranking system.

Then the tournament runs as the World Cup does now - 8 groups of 4, top 2 advance, straight knockout tournament.

That tournament would rule. Sure, some teams might fall out of form if they qualify in 2017 for 2021 or whatever, but that's a trade-off I'm good with. Adds more intrigue if a smaller club knocks off a fallen giant.

TheJoeGreene and CeltTexan repped this.
  10. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I don't see how the UEFA teams don't take all 4 semifinal spots 9 years out of 10 - and given that, what's the point of this thing?

SixKick, DCYC, superdave and 2 others repped this.
  11. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't see how PSG fails to win Ligue 1 more than once a decade either, so what's the point of that league?

12. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    There is a clear second place, there is europa league on the line, there is relegation (i think). This tournament will be another UEFA Champion's League (lite).

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The big UEFA clubs finally have enough money from the Sheikhs, the Russian Mafia and the "investment" American firms to start an open sabotage of all international soccer.

TOAzer and Paul Calixte repped this.
  14. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Only good thing about the CWC is that we don't have to worry about it. We are too busy making new rules with TAM, GAM, YAM etc.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    In other words, they're working hard at making the teams and the league better and letting the results take care of themselves in the long run?

Sounds like a pretty solid plan to me.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Andy, you don’t get it. Everything MLS does is stupid. You need to start from that prime directive and judge everything from there.

17. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately there's no way of finding that out. Forgetting about shots on goal in a loss, there aren't generic records of shots on goal in each game without looking at individual box scores.

Should players be in a month-long tournament three times every four years for a World Cup, Euro, and your idea? Players won't be on teams that reach the Final of every tournament, but including practice with team at the tournament site in advance, players could average three weeks per tournament. I also don't think the second tier tournaments should be treated as well as the top ones. AFC and CAF have second tier tournaments. The fact that those confederations don't deserve as many spots as UEFA and CONMEBOL doesn't change the fact that it's unfair to pick what second tier tournaments matter because of what is convenient.

18. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if The Frozen Mississippi is nicer than The Chilly Missouri.....;)

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Same river

hipityhop repped this.
  20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Crazy opinion of the day: Sporting could take Monterrey out.

There's a chance, slim as it is. The Rayados have a very predictable style.

hipityhop and Bluecat82 repped this.
  21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Monterrey is the clear favorite, but Kansas City doesn't exactly suck.

I think Kansas City having the second leg at home is hugely important.

According to my records MLS sides are a woeful 7-35 in home/home series against LigaMX teams in official competitions. Kansas City's win over Toluca was the first in which the MLS team won both the second leg in Mexico and the series. A bunch of MLS teams (including Kansas City vs Monterrey) have done well at home in the first leg only to be wiped off the field in a barrage of goals in the second leg in Mexico.

I think it's key that Kansas City get an away goal. If they don't get an away goal, I think it's going to be long odds indeed. And two away goals and a result no worse than a 3-2 loss would be about the best result. Obviously a Kansas City win would be an astonishing result, but frankly I'd probably take a 2-2 tie over a 1-0 KC win in the first leg.

What scares me most about MLS teams playing LigaMX teams is the goal explosions and two away goals gives a lot more leeway. What happened to Red Bulls with the sudden four goals in ten minutes against has been all too common in matchups between MLS and LigaMX teams. That's what scares me - is Monterrey getting on a roll.

As long as Peter does some squad rotation to keep the core group of 28-32 year-old players fresh, I think KC does have a chance. This is an experienced squad of veteran players with a fair amount of international experience.

eltapatio, Bluecat82 and Suyuntuy repped this.
  22. DCYC

DCYC Member

Chivas, DC United, Reno 1868
    Mar 24, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think Monterrey is clear favourite to win this all. I mean, it is not even an MLS vs LMX at all now. Monterrey and Tigres are basically killing LMX teams too. Unfortunate really that they face KC in semis instead of final. Will be supporting KC.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  23. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Odd timing to post this right after Monterrey lost to Tijuana. :p

I'd make them the favorite as well, just because they're the most likely to make the final. Against Tigres though, I think they're a slight underdog.

24. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They dream of having their own little Cosa Nostra..........;)

Suyuntuy repped this.
  25. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The semifinal schedule is out - and SKC will be playing on April 4 and 11, in that coveted Thursday slot where no Copa MX overlap means that Univisión Deportes is certain to show the games on TV.