2019 CONCACAF Champions League Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Yoshou, Jul 25, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The CWC uses two stadiums. As long as the stadiums weren't booked with other events, it should be enough time. I think nine months would be enough time to have the USA hypothetically prepare for a CWC in nearby cities like New York and Philadelphia.

I want the Red Bulls to win whatever they can including the CCL even if the CWC goes away. I root for the CCL winner in every CWC, but I would care more if it was an MLS club than a Liga MX club and I would care the most if it was the Red Bulls.

It's one thing for Beckham, Villa, Ibrahimovic, etc. to play in MLS and praise its quality, but it would go way above that if an MLS club won the CCL, won a CWC Quarterfinal, and played the UEFA Champions League winner. Toronto finished second in the 2018 CCL. How many players in the 2018 CWC could find Toronto on a map? I read that a sample of Premier League players (of different nationalities) had a lack of knowledge of the USA, such as saying Kennedy when asked to name the first president. I'm not saying most foreigners are dumb, but an MLS club in the CWC would give MLS exposure.

2. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct me if I am wrong, but when DC won CONCACAF, CWC did not happen that year, so they did not get to play, right?

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It didn't exist back then.

There was a non-official one-off game in Tokyo between the UCL and Copa Libertadores champions prior to FIFA creating the CWC.

TrueCrew, CeltTexan, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I forget if it was mentioned back when we were talking about slots and such, but the draw has given us something juicy:

Looking ahead to the 2020 CCL, slot MEX4 currently only has 3 points more than slot USA2. Guess which two slots got drawn together in the first round of the 2019 CCL? If SKC eliminate Toluca, I think that guarantees (or at least comes very close to guaranteeing) that a MEX team will fall to pot B for next year!

Of course, on the other hand, MEX2 in 2020 is currently only 1pt behind USA1 and 3pts behind USA4, so if Toluca beat SKC and/or either of NYRB or ATL flame out in the first round, Mexico will be safe from pot B for another couple of years, I think. USA2 also has to watch out for PAN1 and HON1, which are 1 and 2 points behind USA2, respectively. (Neither of those two face USA1 or USA4, sadly.)

5. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In December? I'd throw out Orlando and Miami, or Dallas and Houston.

Or hell, LA could do the whole thing on its own - and even get cheeky with the opener, quarterfinals and 5th-place game in the LA Galaxy's and LAFC's stadia, then bringing the semis on to the Coliseum and the Rose Bowl.

6. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Correct, but it is worth mentioning that (as of last year) FIFA formally recognize the Intercontinental/Toyota Cup winners as “club world champions”. It’s all in the 2018 CWC statistical kit (page 13).

TrueCrew repped this.
  7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Instead DC United played (and won) the last edition of the Interamerican Cup between CONCACAF and CONMEBOL. It is still MLS' greatest international achievement to date, even if the "away leg" was played in Florida.

TrueCrew repped this.
  8. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if club play is anything like international play than Florida might as well be a true away game when playing a Latin American team.

9. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    A "slightly" less exhausting trip to Florida from DC!

10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was naming nearby cities without thinking about the weather at a specific time of year.

11. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    For those interested in how the 2018 CCL story-line plays out, Chivas take on Asian champions Kashima Antlers Saturday morning at 8:00 am (ET).

JasonMa and ceezmad repped this.
  12. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Another year, another early exit by a Mexican team.

STR1 and Paul Calixte repped this.
  13. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Presently at the Hazza Bin Zayed Stadium. Chivas thought they had it in the bag at halftime and approached the second half with that mindset. Big mistake.

14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It ended 3-2 to the Antlers by the way, with Chivas scoring in the 3rd and 94th minutes.

15. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    So with the latest Mexican disaster in the CCL, we are again reminded of MLS' true place in the world. Days like this make me wonder why we pay major league money to watch a clearly minor league. UGH UGH UGH.

16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it makes you feel any better, general admission at Notts County costs over $30.

We're 23rd in League Two.

deejay and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  17. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sarcasm?

JasonMa repped this.
  18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trolling.

sitruc, Guardien, deejay and 3 others repped this.
  19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bought a Kashima Antlers scarf on my visit to Tokyo last week. Didn't realize they were the defending Asian champions. Just liked the look of the scarf the best of the teams they had at the soccer store in Shibuya.

Nico Limmat and Gamecock14 repped this.
  20. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I guess we can say that there is nothing to brag about winning CCL now.

21. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Not even a little bit. Quit following me around talking bullshit, I am really sick of it.

22. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. I remember that. DC still has the lead on LAG in terms of trophy cases, due to the Internationals.

DC United = 13. 4 MLS Cup + 4 SS + 3 USOC + 1 CONCACAF + 1 Interamerica.

LA Galaxy = 11. 5 MLS Cups + 4 SS + 2 USOC.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually a lot a bit. Coming on a MLS forum and calling it "minor league" despite the extensive evidence to the contrary, and given your history of similar posts, falls squarely into the trolling category IMO.

Zamphyr, sitruc, ukraine76 and 1 other person repped this.
  24. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I'm results oriented and whenever bad shxt happens I sometimes freak out. That's not tripping though, it's how I feel based on what I see.

25. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Club world cup like most international competitions are largely about location. Chivas had about a 20 hours flying east while Japanese team had about 12 hour flight going west. Put the same tournament on in altitude at Mexico City you'll get very different results. Even the European and South American teams wouldn't look forward to playing Chivas in those conditions. If you are going to attempt to troll (something obvious to the most casual internet observer), try to be a bit more clever and at least make it interesting.