2019 Colorado Buffaloes

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by unkiemark, Apr 8, 2019.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I refer to them as "charismatic maga fauna."

DId JJ get a finger tip on the ball? She was in position.

CU looked in control for most of the match, until they conceded.

Not sure this is a vintage UT side, at least not at this time.

Buffs need to get more consistent and creative in the final third. They have no problem getting deep into enemy territory, but they don't often create quality chances.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, derbarkasmann, I took your "that be us" literally and thought you were referring to yourself and unkiemark!:geek:

3. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In that case, UCLA would be #2.

The penalty kick reached the crossbar on its own, but had it been any lower, JJ would have tipped it into the crossbar, so it was doomed. JJ said that she knew where the kick would be coming and obviously she did.

Looking back at last weekend, Washington State missed the extra point in both games, winning 6-0 over Montana and 6-3 over James Madison. Stanford's extra point was good, 7-0 over San Jose State. Washington was a handful for #2 North Carolina, led at halftime 2-1, eventually fell 3-2 in an evenly played game. But the big news was formerly #1 Florida State going 0-for-Los Angeles, losing 2-1 to UCLA and 3-2 to USC in overtime.

Speaking of 0fers, my beloved Santa Clara Broncos went 0-for-North Carolina, losing to Duke and Wake Forest. Leaves them at 1-3 because they lost to Texas A&M in a game they pretty well dominated. Back home Thursday to play some outfit from Los Angeles that calls themselves Bruins, whatever that is, with a name like that they probably aren't very good. Rhymes with ruins.

Looking ahead, I had heard of Austin Peay but knew absolutely nothing about it. It is part of the Tennessee State University system, with an enrollment of about 11,000 students. The team name is the Governors. There is probably a reason for that. They play in the Ohio Valley Conference. This will not be an RPI boost for us. In exhibitions, they lost to Georgia State 1-0 and at Western Kentucky 3-0. The season opener was a 1-1 tie at Chattanooga, then a 4-0 loss at Middle Tennessee State and a home loss to Mercer 1-0. They are a young team and have players from Ireland, England, New Zealand, the Netherlands, and two from Canada,

Washington State at Gonzaga, Stanford at San Francisco, Utah at BYU, won't need to charter airplanes for any of those. Nebraska is at USC, but I thought they were in Boulder this weekend. Maybe that's the other football.

4. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I’ll be at the pointy ball game rooting for the Buffs! Then watching the round ball game rooting on the Trojans. My life is confusing. Must wear the proper attire at all times

5. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I looked up their soccer program about a month or two ago. Yes, CU would be better off playing Colorado College or Wyoming in terms of RPI. In theory this game shouldn't be close.

Baylor will play at Wyoming on Friday night before coming to Boulder on Sunday. The Bears are currently 2 wins and one draw with a 1-0 win at Drake and 1-1 at Nebraska.

Perhaps you confused "thundering" and" blundering" when considering of the two of us.

derbarkasmann and cpthomas repped this.
  7. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The United Soccer Coaches poll is out, with one team ranked ahead of us that I bet we didn't expect a week ago.

2. UCLA (North Carolina is #1)
    3. Stanford
    4. USC
    6. Florida State
    17. Washington State
    26. Denver (Really. Good for them!)
    27. Baylor
    31. Large prairie animals
    46. Texas (didn't expect that a week ago, either)

What's ahead for Denver? Only one ranked team still on their schedule, see #31. Six more games before conference play, only one at home, see #31. Washington and Portland at Portland, Colorado State, UC Riverside and Cal State Northridge. The Washington game will be broadcast on YouTube

So tomorrow, Colorado Mesa (my new home town team) at Texas - Permian Basin at 11AM, the Buffs and Austin Peay at 4, Denver and Washington at 6, and UCLA at Santa Clara at 8:30. I may not get much done tomorrow. 11AM? That's noon in Odessa. People work. It's hot, although Grand Junction has been 97-103 pretty much every day since I've been here. Found out it's because American has a 4PM flight from Midland to Dallas, connection is nonstop and arrives here at midnight. They save a motel night and Friday classes. It's their only "road trip" by air, they will bus to Spearfish, South Dakota and the in-state away games, teams from Utah, New Mexico and Nebraska play here. Volleyball also has one "road trip" by air, for four games in Springfield, Missouri, they bus to Nebraska and New Mexico and Utah. The joys of Division 2.

8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Fee pizza Thursday night if you get there on time.

Austin Peay's head coach - Naomi Kolarova - played at Metro State when Danny Sanchez was the head coach. Guess that explains how they made it on the schedule.

9. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am really excited to play ya'll next week!!!

10. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect it to be a reasonably competitive game, although I'll be happy if we stay within two goals. I suppose the Seminoles are not in a particularly good mood after last weekend, maybe take out their frustrations on the next opponent? I wonder if that would be a well attended game. Hmmm ... Florida, in Tallahassee. Gator roadkill, maybe?.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    1169727907243020288 is not a valid tweet id

Looks like the game is delayed due to lightning.

12. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #162 derbarkasmann, Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Explains why I sit in front of my computer, shivering in anticipation, and there is no game.

Or antici ... pation, if you've seen the movie (I have 24 times).

Could we trade weather? 96 and clear in Grand Junction, just like every day since I've been here except two.

13. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #163 derbarkasmann, Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    The live stats says 10AM tomorrow.

They are wrong.

14. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buffs 2, Austin Peay 0

Scrappy, they were. Disruptive, they were. The second goal came late and was an own goal. Freshman Roo Yarnell-Williams broke the ice 65 minutes in off a very long throw-in from Hannah Sharts. She gets flip throw distance without flipping.

We were better, had much of the run of play, but were never really dominant.

Shots wound up 16-9 and on goal 5-2 Buffs.

The game was delayed an hour and fifteen minutes by lightning. We have no lights and it was getting darker at the end, overtime would have been interesting.

Details later this evening.

15. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Well, it was good news for me that the match was delayed for an hour plus as that meant I could watch the entire match.

Austin Peay didn’t back down for a minute. Prior to the match I figured there was a good chance they would bunker and hope for a 0-0 draw going into over time. No such thing. They were more than willing to attack when they had the ball. Most of the time, not much came of it, but they sure were willing to give it a go.

The Buffs, as has been the case a lot of this season so far had a fair amount of the possession, but rarely were able to create a scoring chance. They just aren’t creative in the final third.

Eventually the Buffs were able to break down the Governors off of a long throw from Hannah Sharts that found its way to Roo Yarnell-WIlliams who was very calm in settling and finishing in the box. And Yarnell-Williams would be responsible when she took a ball to the end-line and then hit the pull back hard which deflected off an opponent and into the goal.

Kayleigh Webb, Roo Yarnell-Williams, and Kelsey Aaknes were difference makers this evening.

17. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  18. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Santa Clara 2, UCLA 0

Woo hoo !!

Shots 13-8 Broncos.

SCU missed a penalty kick four minutes in, got an own goal off a corner kick at 20 minutes, and scored at 56 minutes. UCLA pushed forward of course and I really thought SCU would get another one on a counter attack. SCU was clearly the better team in the first half, second half was more evenly played. UCLA's attack was pretty constant in the final 20 minutes but they couldn't get shots off.

Oregon State is 4-0, just beat New Mexico 1-0. Washington got an own goal late in the first half and beat Denver 1-0, shots were 6-6, Denver did not have a shot on goal. And Washington State scored nine seconds into overtime to defeat Gonzaga 1-0.

19. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    derbarkasmann repped this.
  21. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    So why were Kayleigh Webb, Roo Yarnell-Williams, and Kelsey Aaknes difference makers on Thursday evening? All three, in their own way, are “instigators,” that is they seize the moment and in doing so make the team better. Webb has the ability to read what the opposition is doing, nick the ball and then attack with pace. She is seeing the field very well and is consistently able to run at the opposition at pace and than make a smart pass to an open teammate. Aaknes is an outside back who knows when to join the attack and makes smart plays to help open up the defense. Then there is Yarnell-Williams. She has a very high soccer IQ which she uses to make dangerous runs without the ball to open up space for herself. When she receives the ball her close control is good and she has good pace to work around defenders. All there are going to be key to the Buffs making a run at an NCAA tourney bid.

22. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  23. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Pac-12 Network has this one. FuboTV includes it so I signed up for a trial and it turns out that they only have the main channel, not Mountain, and the main channel is showing Texas at Stanford in volleyball which I'm sure will be a good game but not what I want to be watching right now.

Speaking of volleyball, how about CU's sweep of #5 Illinois?

24. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ROO !! 1-0 Buffs.

Ten fouls in 15 minutes. But as I remember, that's how Baylor plays so we can't just sit back and be polite.

25. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is great! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: