2019 Coaching Thread

Discussion in 'Coach' started by stphnsn, Mar 11, 2019.

1. danielpeebles2

Dec 3, 2013
    In the spring league we usually attend, it got so bad one year that players from other teams had to fill in so that one of the teams could play their game. Only 2 players showed up for that 4v4. In my opinion, that's the problem when you offer scholarships for a rec league, if the parents aren't paying for it, they don't feel committed.

2. danielpeebles2

Dec 3, 2013
    They should at least be apprised to the amount of playing time she will get being low. she would be playing around 70% of the game on a rec team. The rest could be considered personal information.

elessar78 repped this.
  3. DaBurg

DaBurg Member

Apr 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've run into a couple parents like this. I'd be fine if the parent just sees rec soccer as recreational and not taking it too seriously, but when they are yelling on the sidelines like it's their family honor at stake, at least show up to practice and to games on time. Pick one. It either matters, or it doesn't. That's the one benefit I can see to pay to play, it weeds out the families that don't respect the time the coaches are putting in.

4. Malabranca

Malabranca New Member

Oct 6, 2016
    Well, after a tough couple of seasons my U15 boys team bounced back and finished the season with one loss and only three goals conceded. A couple of observations:
    • With the age change, we were a very young 2004 team. 90% of our team was born between September and December with another 8% born in 05. This matters as puberty starts to hit.
    • I have become much more zen about kids attending practice and games. We play with the people who show up. At the beginning of the season I had 13 kids rostered. At the end, I had 17. I only had all 17 players come to one game.
    • Speaking of puberty, I think it is really important that coaches at this age are mindful of the changes their players' bodies are undergoing and attempt to add some appropriate exercises (plyometric or otherwise) to their practices to help prevent injuries and promote general well-being. I am not even talking about conditioning - though there is that aspect to it. The number of kids with growth-related ailments is higher than I expected.
    • The early tryout season kills the spring season. I saw 5 teams blow up/disappear a third of the way into the season because the kids/coaches gave up based on what is happening the next season.
    • Kids need to watch/experience more soccer.The kids who play a lot of soccer or the kids who watch soccer on TV have such a big advantage over the kids who don't because they have much better ideation as to what they are supposed to do. I am not sure we are going to be able to pry them away from youtube, but you have to get kids watching and thinking about the game off of the field.
    • Video of games and practices really helps. I think particularly in my case, where I am a long-time coach of many of these kids, my act may have gotten a little stale for some of them. Being able to show the kids what the did right as well as what they are doing wrong was huge.
    • You can never have too many kids that can play goalie.

5. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was my biggest frustration this spring, and I don't know how to get over it. Kids don't show up for training so we don't have the players to work on the team-size problems we see in games. Then at games the kids get frustrated because we aren't improving and beating teams we should beat based on skill. That leads to kids skipping training because they know we're not getting better as a team and we won't be able to do the work we need to do to get better because we don't have enough players. It's a terrible cycle. I had a core group of 9 or so players who were there for almost everything. Then we'd have a rotating cast of the other 10 players who had a lot of issues getting to training and games. We didn't have our full 18 for a single game or training session.

6. DaBurg

DaBurg Member

Apr 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd wonder if just disbanding is the appropriate option. Just telling them we're going to prefer to play who shows up to practice and if not enough of a field-able team shows up to practice then we will forfeit the next game. Practices will continue without games until we get enough people showing up to practice. If nothing changes then we disband as a team. At some point there needs to be a respect for the process of being on a team. If they can't get that far, then there is no team.

7. Rekyrts

Rekyrts New Member

Sep 7, 2018
    I know I'm gonna sound holier-than-thou, but it bugs the heck out of me that folks like this keep jobs in youth soccer.