2019 Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, May 15, 2019.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, which is why I've been on the "pump the brakes" side of hiring CC. If he gets through the season at a playoff pace (for the games he coached, I'm not expecting him to get us to the playoffs) then I'd call that good enough given he'd already have experience with this group of players and the organization, plus being a club legend. That would make up for the 9 games short of a full season he'd have.

fortcollins and COMtnGuy repped this.
  2. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I hope there are other requirements as well -- as that's written Hudson would qualify? ;>)

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he wouldn't, at least not prior to the Rapids job.

4. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor has it that Zidane may soon be available.

Andy126 repped this.
  7. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I hear Gareth Bale will also be available in the near future.

Andy126 and MrPerfectNot repped this.
  8. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thought of either of these guys being associated with the Rapids makes me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

9. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll repeat my comment from the first time Zidane's name surfaced a few years ago.

I'm good with Zidane as head coach, but only if former Kiwi international Len Beavis is one of his assistants.

*runs for cover*

10. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

11. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finding it harder and harder for reasons to not name CC the new HC and after last few Rapid's HC performance I was against this.

Isn't there still rumors out there that Rapids are going outside organization for new HC?

12. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Seems like Fraziers name is NOT coming up on any new coaching rumors. Which likely means they have something worked out and he is just finishing his season in Toronto, which also allows us to wait for Pablo's salary to come off the books.

CC has done a good job, but I am not sure if he is the right guy *yet*. Let him run the Springs for a few years and I bet he will be outstanding.

If they chose him now, I feel we would have a few years of learning. Not sure I am willing to go through that again. He has impressed, but is he really ready to take us into the next era with actual DP's and the pressure that will give?

rod.

Andy126, COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last game against San Jose and the USOC match are two big ones that stand out in my mind. Also only one win between the first weekend of June and the first weekend of August.

Really we have to see how he finishes the season now. 7 of the last 10 on the road. 8 of 10 against teams currently tied for a playoff spot or better (only the KC and Houston games are against teams currently below the playoff number). He's been better than I expected but he's had a favorable schedule for the most part. We'll see how he does when it gets much harder. That's why I've been solidly in the "wait for the end of the season before offering it" camp.

(And everything I've heard points to Fraser (no Z @Rod1916 ) being the guy, with various excuses as to why it hasn't been announced yet, all of which are likely partially true)

TheWarmBurger and COMtnGuy repped this.
  14. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    This. Exactly this.

What Casey has done is fantastic, especially given that he's working with a "bottom group of players". That comment by Hudson angers me so much still.....

What worries me about the future, is what I like to call the Pablo Mastroeni effect. Former player who's a big part of the teams history, comes in and shows a nice long stint of success, but tactically isn't there yet to lead for more than a season. Once teams figured him out - the sit back, bunker, and try to win games 1-0 - then the rapids did what they did in 2017.

Granted, the 2019 roster is miles ahead of the 2017 roster. But what Casey has done tactically is simplify things tremendously. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, or a good thing either. It's worked, and there's no reason it shouldn't continue to work as long as players buy in. We sit back, low press the midfield, keep the game and the ball in front of us, and try to stretch the field on the counter-attack. It's gotten us a good string of results overall, and against pretty good teams.

But like @JasonMa said, we've got a lot of games left on the road. And the majority of our final games are against playoff contenders.

San Jose destroyed us two weeks ago. It will be interesting to see if that game (where we got our butts handed to us) or the game against LAFC (where we go toe-to-toe with superior teams and make a good showing for a win) will be the norm in the coming weeks.

My one fear with Casey is whether or not he can make adjustments to overcome the times when the opposition's tactics are exposing our weaknesses. What he's shown so far this season should definitely keep his hat in the ring for the coaching job, especially if he maintains a level of success in the coming weeks.

As far as Fraser goes, I'm not so hot on him either. He's a relative unknown in the head coaching position. Do we really want to give the massive opportunity coming in 2020 in terms of roster openings, salary openings, and DP slots open, to an unknown?

The next coach is EXTREMELY important to the trajectory of the team. Last thing I want is another Pablo or another Hudson. I hope they can get the right guy who can lead us into the future

ogre1976 repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least Fraser, unlike Casey, Hudson, Pablo, Pareja, and Smith, has actually been the head coach of a top division club team before.

Andy126, Rod1916, COMtnGuy and 1 other person repped this.
  16. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    True, but I’m not sure going 15-32-21 and a 14 match winless streak at the helm of Chivas USA should inspire a ton of confidence. That’s why I’m not too hot to trot yet. Granted, that was 7 years ago, but it’s still a big hurdle for me to climb comfortably

I guess my point is I’m not overjoyed about any candidate that has been mentioned/rumored yet. I just hope whoever we get - Casey, Fraser, or otherwise is a good decision.

17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exact same boat. CC has done a good, admirable job. Not earth shattering but he's pumped a little life into the squad. That alone should earn him an interview with a view of top assistant when an actual candidate is hired. Fraser doesn't overwhelm me either. His Chivas record aside, he still strikes me as that top assistant - think Dave Sarachan - type that is always better as a #2. At this point, we ride CC out until the end of the season. There's no need to rush. But.... once the season has concluded, they need to kick it into high gear to find a manager.

Andy126 and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets also remember that if you think the Rapids manager gets little support from KSE, that pales in comparison with the crap the Chivas USA manager had to put up with from their FO/owner.

Andy126, COMtnGuy and Rod1916 repped this.
  19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    To clarify, you're stating that the the Chivas USA ownership situation was worse that what's going on with KSE?

As JasonMa has stated above, the Pádraig has his manager, just hasn't publicly named him. I too think it is most likely Fraser.

Andy126 and JasonMa repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, to clarify.

21. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    And Fraser was so impressive he's been an assistant coach ever since?

If Fraser's the guy, I am still way underwhelmed. That's the kind of guy they could have hired in a hurry when Pareja left just before the season started. To come up with him now, with all the time for the search and how all the contracts are turning up for 2020, would be quite disappointing.

ogre1976 repped this.
  22. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If 2019 continues, with a good showing, how can they *not* keep CC?????

Really

R

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a big IF considering our schedule

24. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thinking on this overnight it does seem to at least me a little odd if they already have person they want but not announcing it given, you never know who might become available by season end and what if you like them more?

Seems to me if your going to wait then you shouldn't be interviewing or doing anything to end of season.

22SteveD repped this.
  25. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wilmer Cabrera is now available and I like him more than Fraser any day of the week.

COMtnGuy repped this.