2019 Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, May 15, 2019.

1. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not going to go back and find the link but the in depth stuff after Hudson was canned PS said DP's were the 2020 plan, Not sure why everyone thinks we are going to go grab some now. If anything, giving the Hudson mess, it could be pushed to the 2021 plan finding the new DP's.

JasonMa repped this.
  2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before the season I expected 2 DPs this winter and maybe a youth DP in the summer window but not likely. That hasn't changed except I think a youth DP in the summer is even more unlikely unless they have a target that won't be available at a later time. I still expect 2 DPs this winter but not sooner.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Makes sense and is the name I've heard many say they've wanted. Fraser is ready to be back in the manager's seat.

Andy126, JasonMa, Rod1916 and 1 other person repped this.
  4. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 14, 2009
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he has a lot of knowledge about MLS, he's been an assistant with some very good coaches, and last (but not least) he's probably not going to strain the salary budget.

5. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Definitely an interesting prospect there....Well, at least he would seem to fit the Rapids bill for a head coach- 14 game winless streak during his time as Head Coach as Chivas, and a 15W-32L-21T

What he's done for Toronto and NYRB as an Assistant Coach may have molded him into a better Head Coach (see the rise of Greg Vanney for example of this path working), but it doesn't garner much excitement for me as of right now.

From the article it sounds like they are proposing it to Mr. Stan this week, so who knows! We could be talking about merging a conversation across the "Former Players - Where are they Now?", the "2019 Coach Searching Thread", and the "2019 Season Catch all Thread" into one big talk!

**EDIT**
    Come to think of it, I have a jersey of his from his days as a Rapid, and it has his signature on it. If he becomes coach, I wonder if he would sign it again. Wonder how many people have signed the same jersey twice - once as a player, once as the coach. I'm sure Pablo has a few of those around ;)

kucsdat and JasonMa repped this.
  6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    From the espn article:

with one source saying that Rapids management will take Fraser's candidacy before investor-operator Stan Kroenke at some point this week.

According to one source, the vast majority of candidates interviewed by Colorado were from, or had, strong ties to MLS -- a stark contrast to Hudson, who had no connection to the league before he was hired in November of 2017.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/colorado...urces-tfcs-fraser-front-runner-for-rapids-job

Interesting that Stan is actually going to have a direct say in this hire. I figured he was hands-off and someone like Josh would be making the decision with Pádraig.

• Not surprising that the search has focused on coaches with some sort of MLS experience.

• Didn't realize Fraser was in his 50's. Nothing wrong with that, but I just thought he was in his 40's.

• Does he fit with the "Rapids Way" of sexy, attacking style soccer? Will be able to effectively train/coach the talented young players such as Lewis, Ford, Nicholson, Bassett, Vines, Anderson, etc.?

Personally, I don't care how much, or little excitement a particular candidate elicits. If he gets consistent results and makes good choices with Pádraig in terms of signings then I am good with that person.

If he's the guy, it would be cool to have him in place for the STH event at Dick's this coming Sunday so we could meet and chat with him.

Andy126 repped this.
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What STH event?

Fraser ticks all the boxes for me. I actually had him as one of my top choices both post-Pareja and post-Pablo.

Andy126 repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The timing of this makes sense too. Casey runs the team through this 3 game week, maybe even the Minnesota game a week later. After that there's a 2 week break in league games for the Gold Cup, which is the perfect time for a new coach to be stepping in. They'll have a USOC game to play in that time to give the new coach a chance to see what he's got.

Andy126 and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    "Meet the Team" this Sunday from 11-2 at DSGP for full season ticket members.

Completely agree.

JasonMa repped this.
  10. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not believe for 1 second Stan is going to personally be involved in coaching decision. Too busy building the edifice to his existence in LA (Rams/ NFL's new Taj Mahal)

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh he'll probably take 5 seconds to sign/stamp the paper authorizing the hire based on the advice of whatever exec he's told to take care of the Rapids.

Rod1916 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  12. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Fun discussion point....

Let’s say (hypothetically) we win convincingly this Saturday against Cincinnati....At what point does Casey begin to enter the fray as a legitimate candidate?

I’m of the opinion that he probably won’t be given that shot. I think the timing behind the recent Fraser and Wolf rumors support this.

But credit where it’s due, 7 points over the past 3 games with a road win against (a weakened) LA, home win against CLB and a solid mid-week tie with a makeshift roster on the road is an impressive run.

I’m (cautiously) optimistic about some of the more experienced Coaches we’ve heard rumored, but there is a part of me at this point that’s curious to see what Casey could’ve done with more time.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He shouldn't be a serious candidate unless we wait until the offseason to hire somebody and he shows success over the whole season. 4-5 games is not enough to make a coaching hire, at least not this hire, on.

14. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. I think he'll be a HC eventually, but the timing is a bit off to helm the Rapids at this point - especially after Pablo was promoted so quickly. (Although, Casey does have the benefit of more experience having been assistant before stepping up).

Andy126 repped this.
  15. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt his involvement would even go that far.

16. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, can't get over this turn around we are experiencing. Nice to actually be able to look forward to games.

SccrDon repped this.
  17. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Casey should be given the rest of this season to build his chops and show what he can do. Rapids can hire a different coach next winter if need be. What’s the rush?

18. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rush is a Youth Soccer Development Academy,
    download.jpg

19. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I would say no rush other than if they find the person they want then they should grab them. If they wait, someone else may swoop in. (Time kills all deals)

So, if the perfect person pops up, great. If not and we wait until the end of the year, great as well.

JasonMa, wormhole and Andy126 repped this.
  20. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes they are. upload_2019-5-31_12-16-41.jpeg

Paranoid Coyote and COMtnGuy repped this.
  21. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    So you're saying that by 2112 we will have a new coach and a playoff caliber team?

COMtnGuy, Bridgeman and Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  22. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2112 is just the overture to a better team. A rebuilding season, if you will.

23. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Of course, I forgot the 'time to gel', learn the new system, adjust the jet packs to player weights, etc ...

24. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Seems like there's nothing but crickets on the coaching search front. Rumor were posted somewhere that Fraser was at DSGP on Saturday night, but we're heard nothing since then.

With the tremendous success Casey has had on the pitch over the last four matches, and the acquisition of both Abubakar and Lewis I wonder if Podráig is being more deliberate in his search, or if he words just not getting out about the candidates.

Andy126 repped this.
  25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I had to guess they're waiting until after Saturday's game to name Fraser the coach. That gives him the two week break with only the USOC games to install his vision in the team.

Either that or Fraser and the Rapids couldn't agree on a deal and we're now searching for another candidate.

Rod1916 and Andy126 repped this.