2019 Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, May 15, 2019.

1. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on his recent Rapids experience, that is kinda' a scary thought.....

R

Dom. FC repped this.
  2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Padraig just confirmed what the rumors were suggesting. The Rapids offered both the top assistant role and the Switchbacks head coaching role to Conor Casey but Casey has decided to leave the organization to pursue opportunities elsewhere.

22SteveD and COMtnGuy repped this.
  3. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    #Drama?

4. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Can't say I blame Connor. It's a little uncomfortable to return to an assistant job after coaching a team. (I remember Granato doing that with the Avalanche.)

At the same time, I wonder if he is deciding what he wants to do next. It never struck me that he particularly enjoyed coaching the Rapids. Although that is partially his general demeanor. He rarely looks happy.

COMtnGuy, Riccardo55 and JasonMa repped this.
  5. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Bummer. I would have loved for CC to run the switchbacks for awhile.

He may be overestimating his value as a coach. He probably gets on as an assistant somewhere, which doesnt seem as good as head coach of switchbacks. Unless another good usl team is looking....

6. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. But also, if he wants to refine his "style" and tactics it's better to pick up more experience elsewhere.

7. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone will hire him as an MLS head coach, after all, he is the all time leader in points per match for Rapids Head Coaches :D:ROFLMAO::p:cool::thumbsdown:

Agreed, once you run the show, it isn't much fun to be an assistant, regardless of your occupation.

Sports Yak repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gary Smith has already been hired by Nashville :D

9. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Ignore facebook, are you really seeing much of this argument?

It is an eyebrow raising move to some degree (which to me, is a far milder criticism than "big mistake") in that they are expending resources to bring in a guy over Casey and it's not clear he's any better. It also seems like Casey never was a candidate, which may be what people are reacting to. It's not at all suprising he's left the organization.

What suggests Fraser will be any good? I see a couple reasons:

1) Padraig/the Rapids organization likes him. Given that they also liked Hudson, I don't take that as a huge endorsement.

2) Fraser has not lost a game yet as Rapids manager (backup QB factor)

In Casey's favor, I think it was more than just a new coach bounce, considering they went from 2 points in 9 to whatever Casey's average was (1.39 or something?) Coaching a team that's been as bad as they have been the last 2 seasons at a playoff pace is a pretty high bar.

As for USOC, I doubt Casey cared much, the Rapids year after year don't seem to care, most fans don't care, and I certainly didn't care about this year's competition. That will be a nice project when we stop sucking.

I think I would have preferred another choice, or letting Casey finish out the season. But really with any likely choice, we probably would only have those same two factors to go on.

10. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Sorry I am way out of the loop with old stuff. I was traveling when a lot of this was happening...I did see an article about Fraser talking about playing a possession style...blah blah blah.

I don't care. Ok, I care a little--you've got to be able to keep a little possession so you have some flexibility. The team's style this season under Casey is not sustainable.

But we've heard so much about possession and style and seen so much crappy and even embarrassing soccer in return...just stop talking about it. It doesn't matter, winning does. A Rapids manager is always going to have to cope with a roster not quite where anyone would want it, so managing the personalities, teaching (esp. the young'uns), and problem solving are going to be the biggest attributes we can hope for.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3) He's actually been a club head coach already and has made his "learning on the job" errors

12. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I guess? Not everyone learns. It's been a long time since he was head coach, which isn't the greatest sign.

13. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, off to a good start but do we give him a pass on these remaining 2019 games?

14. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Life is good....
    3 day weekend.
    Rapids win.
    Everton wins.
    UW wins.
    (That would be the REAL U-dub)
    Wyoming!

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was rooting for both U-Dubs last night. And Auburn :D

MrPerfectNot repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7 more points in the last 6 and I'll be happy. That's essentially the pace the team was playing under Conor and a borderline playoff pace (10 points in the 7 games Fraser coaches).

17. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    jerk.

JasonMa repped this.
  18. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And my wife thinks it's something called Wisconsin (where she's from) - it's always fun to correct that bit of mistaken knowledge....

19. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After what we went through with Hudson, everyone gets a pass this season.

AlbertCamus repped this.