2019 Club World Cup coverage

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Paul Calixte, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Where should we discuss CWC qualifying (i.e. how continental CLs are progressing)?

Poll closed Jan 14, 2019.
  1. In its own thread

100.0%
  2. In the "Rumour: Club World Cup to Expand?..." thread

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Table it for when we get more info on the CWC's future

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi everyone,

Normally, with the current year's Club World Cup in the rearview mirror, @Nico Limmat descends from the heavens to set up the conversation towards the next edition, keeping track of where we stand in each confederation and in the host league.

This time, though, we have a couple problems:

1) We don't know who the host will be, if any.

2) Infantino is currently engaged in trench warfare with UEFA over the tournament's format, size, scheduling and funding.

We should know more after FIFA's March 2019 meeting in Miami; the above poll concerns what we shall do until then.

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for caring what people want. I want the first option. I don't want discussion about qualifying to be stopped until the CWC plans are known, and I don't want discussion about qualifying mixed in with discussions about the CWC format in a topic that has over 700 posts. A 2019 qualifying topic can be locked or merged later if it turns out there won't be a 2019 CWC.

I'm waiting for the decision about how many teams each confederation gets in World Cup 2022 and how Concacaf will structure their WCQs more than I care about the CWC plans.

valycarrolito repped this.
  3. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I agree with @EvanJ.

Until we are told there is no 2019 CWC it should be business as usual (with host TBD). Also, some of the leaked CWC expansion documents showed a 2019 and 2020 edition before the expansion in 2021.

4. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In that case, with no registered dissent, let's go ahead and start that thread. @Nico Limmat would you do the honors? :)

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Sure, but you worry about dissent too much. You have to rule with an iron fist...

(...you know, like I did :D)