2019 CCL Draw

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The draw for the 2019 CCL is tonight. KC has been given USA2 slot, which has the worst coefficient of the 4 US slots (based on previous record by that spot in the tournament). That means KC is in Pot 2 and will face either TFC or 1 of the 4 Liga MX teams, Monterrey, Toluca, Santos Laguna, or Tigres.

https://www.sportingkc.com/post/2018/12/03/2019-scotiabank-concacaf-champions-league-draw-set-monday

Who's ready to renew our rivalry with Santos (2001 Copa Mercanorte, 2002 CONCACAF Champions Cup, and 2009 Superliga)?

2. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Gross. Just have to hope and pray the team starts the season hot. Otherwise we'll definitely miss the knockout rounds again.

Toronto is obviously the ideal pick though. I vote Canada.

3. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't we drawing for the "knockout rounds" ... so our first round will be a "knockout round"? So we won't "miss" them entirely?

I agree, wouldn't mind facing Toronto, but I'd hate to get to CCL and only play 1 team ... another MLS team. I like the variety, I'm hoping for Toluca!

mschofield repped this.
  4. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Maybe? I know they changed a lot of stuff but I didn't think they'd changed that. Weird.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all "knockout rounds" now. We'll be draw into a home-home series with someone in pot A, winner advances. It's like the old CONCACAF Champions Cup before they reorganized it into the CCL.

6. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Instead of having multiple smaller CONCACAF nations in group play, they essentially give the smaller countries 1 spot in Pot 2 and then they have a different tournament in the fall (CONCACAF League) for their other participants and the winner of that fall knockout CONCACAF League gets a spot in Pot 2 as well ... so there's 1 team from Costa Rica, 1 team from Honduras, 1 from Panama, 1 from El Salvador, 1 from Guatemala, 1 from all of the Carribean, and 1 winner from the CONCACAF League (which happens to be a Costa Rican team). So the "lesser" teams have to play through the CONCACAF League.

7. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #7 SportingKCFan, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    It’s Toluca.

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're on the opposite side of the bracket from Santos and Tigres. But getting by Toluca will be incredibly hard.

Blando13 and mschofield repped this.
  9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Using the wildly inaccurate Transfermarkt.de as a guide, the talent edges to them but not by much. They're reported to have a squad worth €28m on the open market, while ours is valued at €22m. Looking at their roster, there really isn't anyone who we'd think "no way SKC could ever sign him." but there are a lot of very good players who we would be thrilled to see SKC pursue.
    So they should be a better team, but not by much and it is a funny game.

10. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably a better comparison by far (/sarcasm) is the Global Club Soccer Rankings ... which has Toluca ranked 175th and Sporting ranked 195th. Similar "result" of (they're better, but not by much). I like our draw to be honest! This should be entertaining.

mschofield repped this.