2019 Breakout Youngster

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TheFalseNine, Dec 4, 2018.

1. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Malik Tillman current U-17 Bundesliga stats:

13 Games: 10 Goals, 6 assists

Christian Pulisic stats in 2015 for U-17 Bund and playoffs:

8 Games: 6 goals, 5 assists

maybe a player to keep an eye on.

Only downside is that he is at Bayern Munich.

2. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Julian Green U17 Stats: 25 games, 17 goals.

Could easily go the opposite direction too. IIRC his brother Timothy was highly rated, and it hasn't worked out for him yet.

frankburgers repped this.
  3. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Yes, a great prospect. I get the sense Germany is his first choice and he has been playing with them lately.

4. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good catch.

5. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Numbers are not the final result, just one more factor to determine if a player has what it takes.

6. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, never asserted otherwise. Just pointing it out.

frankburgers repped this.
  7. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    that's why I put the Bayern Munich slight at the end. where highly-rated German-American prospects eventually fall into black-hole.

8. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Green has actually come good compared to the black holes of entire countries named Spain and Italy...

9. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tbf, they've had entire prospect lists of... Akale and Perez.

In La Liga, Shaq Moore got some caps, and we'll see how guys like Jack Imperato pan out. As for Italy, I don't think we've got anyone there.

Also depends on what your definition of "come good" is... alas, that's what the YNT forums are for.

10. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Altidore is a big one that Spain almost ruined. Lederman is another in a long list. There are dozens of American kids in Spain who we never hear of because they are not on the YNT radar or Spanish clubs won't release them or USSF doesn't want to fly them over, who knows.

Of course, some of this is that most 14 year olds don't pan out and Spanish teams are not going after our 18 year olds.

Was mostly tongue in cheek. In seriousness, very few Munich academy kids make it onto the BM first team. in the current soccer economy, probably even less now and in the future than historically will make it. But I'm sure they have good coaches and facilities and if the players take advantage, most clubs in Germany will take a BM kid on loan. What they do from there is up to them.

I don't think Green would have done any better if he had started with GF; we just would have never heard of him. The "I made it already" mentality certainly effected Green in 2014-2015 and possibly being at Bayern was a factor in that. That mentality seems to be a big career killer in the 16-22 age range. If someone had actual data that kids at Karlsruhre, e.g., don't have that mentality and do better, I'd like to see it. You hear from guys drafted in the MLS Superdraft who thought there work was done when they stepped up to the podium on draft day. My guess is that every great 16 yo soccer player will have a spell of that between 16-22 and how they cope with that separates the Tyler Adams careers from the Green or Bobby Warshaw careers.

The other big wall is when the player realizes they will not be starting for Real Madrid...

11. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Dozens"? I'll believe it when I see a list (@Dave Marino-Nachison hey, a new Excel list idea! ;) )... I mean, we've got 9 million expats out there, some of them are in Spain, some have kids, and some of those kids play soccer. Doesn't really mean anything about the country as a whole w/r/t youth development of Americans if they're not very good to begin with...

I'd forgotten completely about Lederman, on the other hand, de la Fuente is there too.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    LouisZ repped this.
  13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing with Green to me always seemed like a lack of pace.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  14. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think Green has all the technical skills and is a good finisher. I just don't think the game has slowed down for him much and he is a good 2.Bund player. He is not old and he could take a step forward.

Certainly, any lack of pace shows up if your reactions are slow because you can't process what is happening faster.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #190 Clint Eastwood, Feb 26, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    25th homegrown signing for FC Dallas. 33rd academy product to sign a pro contract.
    Prolific goalscorer in the academy, although still raw. Even as a 15 year old, has been scoring with the FCD U19s. He's been part of the US U17s, although looks "on the outside" for the upcoming CONCACAF Championships team. A few years away, but definitely one to keep an eye on.

TxEx repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Raw is a nice way of putting it IMO, although admittedly they seem to rate him pretty highly. I’d like to think that they have a better idea than fans about the quality of their players.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sneaky first team debut possibility for the this spring. Chris Gloster of the US U20s is training with the Hannover first team now.

Futbol_Head, LouisZ and onefineesq repped this.
  18. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome news.

19. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    One of their LB/LWBs, the one that started their last game, fractured a rib. He is going to be out some time. They have at least one other LB on their squad, we will see what happens.

They are not avoiding relegation. Would some Bundesliga minutes for Gloster help his transfer value if he shows well at the U20 WC?

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    For those wanting names of potential breakout youngsters in MLS for 2019, Brian has a really nice new column:

thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  22. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Efra Alvarez is the answer to this thread.

23. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    And Anthony Fontana was the answer this time last year...

24. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    come on... efra has been the crown jewel in youth circles for quite some time. he just dominated USL last year, and just produced two quality play last night.

to compare that to anthony fontana is silly.. putting it nicely.

thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We'll see. There were a ton of thread-eligible players that got minutes in MLS this past weekend. A surprise for some might have been James Sands starting for NYCFC.

If Alvarez switches back to USYNTs/USMNT then the hype will go thru the roof on him. As long as he's choosing to play for Mexico, then people aren't going to consider him for our hypothetical award. And to be honest, I don't expect Mexico to drop the ball on this one.