2019 Breakout Youngster

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TheFalseNine, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    One of he main points is that a top prospect cannot join an elite program until they are 18. Each player would have the right to sign their own contracts. The better the player, the more he will be able to get a contract that meets his desires. that could include shorter contracts or buyout clauses etc. There is a selling price for every player. If a player has a contract that ends at 20 or 21, the team has an incentive to sell before then because they risk losing him on a free if they wait. Assuming that MLS proves itself to be a legitimate development vehicle, 19-21 is still young enough to be headed over to Europe. As I said, it depends on two things: MLS proving that it is a legitimate path to Europe and European teams seeing MLS as a legitimate developer of talent.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The FCD-Philly game tonight is remarkable.
    10 players eligible for the US U23 Olympic team in the 18s...…………………

Pomykal, Cannon, Cerrillo, Roberts (first career start), Servania, Nelson, Aaronson, Trusty, McKenzie...…………..and Ferreira citizenship imminent.

Patrick167 and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #280 Clint Eastwood, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Another debut for a U20 yesterday as FCD's Brandon Servania came on in the second half. Brandon is a #6, and was named to the all-tournament team at the CONCACAF U20 Championships.

There are those of us that are old enough to remember when the U20 national team was predominantly NCAA players. And of those that were pro, they were way down depth charts.

Current Clint Eastwood U20 national team (players that have made their first team pro debuts bolded): I have to maybe rethink Amon, as he's faded a little bit over the past half year. I could bench him for one of Llanez or Ledesma. I'm going to assume that Tyler Adams never plays for the U20s again, but we should remember that he's eligible. Sargent and Weah its not so clear, so I'm keeping them.. Also I think Jaylin LIndsey should be in there, but he just had a bad injury. He's never playing for our U20s again.

------------------Sargent (Bremen)---------------
    Amon (Nord.)-------------------------Weah (Celtic/PSG)
    ----------Mendez (Freiburg)----Pomykal (FCD)----------
    ----------------------Durkin (DCU)----------------------
    Gloster (Hannover)--McKenzie (Philly)-Richards (Bayern)--Dest (Ajax)
    -------------------Ochoa (RSL)-----------------------

Bench:
    Scott (Koln)
    Araujo (LAG)
    Keita (Columbus)
    Servania (FCD)
    Ledesma (PSV)
    Llanez (Wolfsburg)
    Soto (Hannover)

By the way, there are a bunch of players that are getting pro minutes that I haven't put in this team. Just the players that are eligible for the US U20s that have played in MLS this season NOT shown above: Efrain Alvarez (LAG-currently with Mexico), Guianluca Busio (SKC), Thomas Roberts (FCD), Cole Bassett (Colorado), Luis Arriaga (RSL), Jesus Ferreira (FCD-citizenship imminent), Brenden Aaronson (Philly), Edwin Cerrillo (FCD), Frankie Amaya (Cincinnati), James Sands (NYCFC), Andrew Carleton (Atlanta), Ayo Akinola (TFC), Anthony Fontana (Philly), Justin Rennicks (TFC), Omir Fernandez (NYRB), etc. etc.

And of course there are Euro guys like Chris Cappis (Hobro) that have made pro debuts that I'm keeping out. Even with Adams not on the roster, the midfield is crowded. In fact one can make an argument that the Servania spot in my 18 is highly, highly contested.

STR1, Patrick167 and USSoccerNova repped this.
  6. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was happy to see Servania get on the field. Unfortunately, it wasn't at this customary position (6). He was brought in as a winger for the last 10 minutes.

I think Konrad De La Fuente will pass Amon in the starting 11.
    Also, Christina Cappis may bump someone out of the bench group.
    Very good players are not going to make it. Wow.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    VERY good players aren't going to make it. Consider MLS STARTERS like Edwin Cerrillo of FCD and Brenden Aaronson of Philadelphia haven't had a single U20 cap this cycle.

de la Fuente probably comes down to whether Sargent and Weah are named to the U20 team. If they are, then I can't squeeze in de la Fuente. Cuz Sebastian Soto of Hannover is already in. Uly Llanez of Wolfsburg is probably also ahead of de la Fuente in Ramos' depth chart (although that one is certainly debatable).

In the event of a tie, the selection usually goes to a member of the "natural cycle." Its amazing how many kids eligible for the NEXT U20 cycle already have made pro debuts. Gianluca Busio of SKC, Thomas Roberts of FCD, and Cole Bassett of Colorado STARTED last week. They're all 2001s, and thus eligible for the NEXT cycle. So are Julian Araujo of the Galaxy and Luis Arriaga of RSL, both of whom have appeared in MLS. David Ochoa of RSL who I have starting on this U20 team is also a 2001, and eligible for the next cycle. Add the Euros like de la Fuente of Barcelona and Gio Reyna of Dortmund and Taylor Booth of Bayern and Indiana Vassilev of Aston Villa and and the aforementioned Llanez of Wolfsburg. Next cycle is already rounding into a good group. Not so deep right now, but that evolves as kids bubble to the surface.

LouisZ and USSoccerNova repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By the way, Gianluca Busio of SKC scored again last night in MLS. The youngest ever player to score back-to-back goals in MLS. [Although last night's was certainly a gift.] So............................moving up our hypothetical "breakout youngster" charts.

Also moving up our "breakout youngster" charts should be Brenden Aaronson. If we had more Philly fans posting in these parts, we'd be talking about him like we are about Pomykal. A fine looking prospect.

Still disappointed that McKenzie isn't starting in Philly this year, though. That's put a damper on the Philly love fest. Cuz I think he's actually a better CB prospect that Trusty. We need him playing as he's a LOCK starter for the U20s (especially if Chris Richards is injured).

LouisZ repped this.
  9. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Such a bummer that 3 of our best young USMNT players are out with injuries down the stretch for their Bundisliga squads. Pulisic may be back for Dortmund...although they may not play him much at all when he returns because of his imminent departure to Chelsea. I have watched nearly every Dortmund game this season and I was absolutely shocked at how poorly they played this weekend in their biggest game of the season. So disappointed... they didn't even show up.

Weston is likely out for the season I would think... but his team could be relegated and surely need his presence in the mid-field.

I have read absolutely zero on Tyler Adams since his fantastic 75-yard assist a weekend ago. He was on the bench for the German Cup (to my dismay). I think Clint said he tweaked his quad? Perhaps it is more serious because he wasn't even on the bench this weekend. Leipzig is in prime position for CL next year... and I am certainly biased, but while they have won w/o him they do not look nearly as good with Adams off the pitch. Frustrating that google tells me nothing regarding Adams right now. Anyone have a tidbit to post related to him?

Also a bit bummed that Sargent hasn't even been on the bench for Bremen the last game or two. Especially after just signing his extension. Is this one of the worst teams he could have extended with? Bremen and PSG are the only teams in Europe that have scored in every game this season. Going to be very hard to play for the senior team when they are already scoring so many goals.

10. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    It has been reported in the Yanks Abroad section of this forum that Weston has returned to training on his own. Perhaps he will be back sooner than expected.

11. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    at this point, I'm not sure Amon should make the u20 WC team, much less be starting.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #287 Clint Eastwood, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    The reason he would be is that this cycle is relatively short on pacy wingers. We have other sorts of guys we can put on the wing. Pomykal actually played quite well there at the CONCACAF Championships, for instance. But this particular cycle doesn't have much of that killer SPEED.

Weah can of course be that pacy winger/forward, but its unclear if he's going to be with this U20 group or not. If he is, then perhaps we leave Amon off.

There are a couple of players that were part of the CONCACAF Championships that might be left off due to lack of playing time. Both Brandon Servania and Ayo Akinola were in the Best XI of the CONCACAF U20 Championships, and their places are under severe threat. Such is the nature of our pool with this group. Uly Llanez was also in that Best XI. I have him in my team, but he also might be left off if both Sargent and Weah are in the group.

13. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    No. It's much worse to make choices like Altidore did with Sunderland and what Wood did with Hamburg where you get playing time, but you get it with a midfield and team so thoroughly lacking in creativity, that only the fewest of chances imaginable are created, and any failure to finish them can result in both:
    #1 an eventual loss in confidence (critical component in successfully scoring goals with consistency)
    #2 loss of playing time due to lack of confidence from lack of chances generating a vicious cycle of failure that destroys player confidence and form.

That's the worst situation and why I tear my hair out when players move from a good situation to a situation with higher pay, but significantly worst team situation. It's deeply frustrating to be trapped w/little playing time, but give it time. If we're looking at the same situation a year from now, then I'm getting frustrated, and worse, right now the only aspect of it that bothers me is that it almost seems like a punishment for playing poorly in a single solitary start he got after 12 months of highly productive performance preceeding it, now that is something I do find frustrating as it's bad process (if that's whats happening).

14. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is starting to get ridiculous. A couple of weeks removed from Tyler Adams' 75 yard assist and a ton of media coverage and it is like he dropped off the face of the earth. He was on the bench for the German Cup Game mid-week and they said he was resting a slight injury... two weeks later and he is not even on the gameday roster. Furthermore, I can't find a single word written about him when I google. Then, while watching Leipzig beat Wolfsburg today, Adams was not even mentioned. The commentators even had a long discussion about the youth movement on the team and how the high-line requires fast, youthful players to defend against the counter... they listed 4 players and Adams was not one of them. WTF? Where did Tyler Adams go?

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Probably just taking it easy with his injury recovery. I'm not too concerned.

More action in the Bundesliga for Sebastian Soto today, though.

16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    R-E-L-A-X, relax. Ragnick said he wasn't in training this week due to that minor injury and their style requires a lot of fitness. He says he's excited for when he and Poulsen returns. They'll factor in down the stretch, and next year Leipzig should be able to compete with the big guns for that top spot if they keep the squad together. Adams will play a role in big matches, like we want for our players.

deejay repped this.
  17. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your citation does ease my mind. Where did you read/hear it? I could find nothing related to Tyler Adams' injury. Again, I don't really understand how one can't be at least a little concerned that Pulisic, Weston and Adams are all hurt for their clubs down the stretch. For Pulisic, it seems a bit like a serial and Weston had a legit injury last year too. Now Adams plays 8 games and looks like a natural and then gets hurt after his best game as a pro. Playing time means everything for a young player and these injuries stall the process and in some cases makes it more difficult to break back into the lineup. I am sure this is not the case for Adams based on his talent. Pretty sure it holds for Weston... partly due to his talent... partly due to the lack of talent on the rest of the roster. I have no idea what to expect from Pulisic next year. EPL is a far more physically demanding league and while Hazard will likely exit... they have several other young wingers with talent.

18. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Dest.

Mods close thread please.

:)

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  19. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Air travel is linked to athlete injuries. It's unfortunate but the more we need a guy in Europe the more likely he will be injured.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6162549/

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  20. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Soccer players get injured. Most teams have to deal with missing players at least semi-regularly. Can't keep them in bubble wrap. The US has mostly been pretty lucky with major injuries to key players over the years kept to a minimum. That's one of the real negatives about having only a handful of really top players. You lose one and the replacement really brings the squad down. So yeah, it is concerning if the guys end up injured regularly throughout their careers, but some guys are more durable than others, and we've had plenty of players who fly back and forth for games over the last few decades with no real issues. If we are all so worried about players not getting injured and don't want them to come to games, why even be a fan of the team? Soccer players play soccer. Sometimes they get hurt. No way around it. Cross your fingers that the majority of our players remain relatively injury free and that's about all you can do unless you just want to not care about getting the team together at all.

21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Mahtzo1 and USSoccerNova repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. Players eligible for USYNTs (this is up to the Olympic team) that have played in MLS this season so far: What's really exciting is the number of players born in 2000 or later that are breaking thru. When you add in the Euro or Mexico based players, the pool really starts looking strong! Big surprise for me here is James Sands, the central midfielder/center back for NYCFC. He's an MLS starter and hasn't been looked at by our U20 national team!

Aaron Herrera (97), D, Salt Lake - 7 games/7 starts, 630 minutes, 0 goals/0 assists
    Auston Trusty (98), D, Philadelphia - 7 games/7 starts, 616 minutes, 0 goals/0 assists
    Paxton Pomykal (99), M, Dallas - 7/6, 557, 2/1
    Brooks Lennon (97), D,/M Salt Lake - 7/6, 544, 0/0
    James Sands (00), M/D, New York City - 6/6, 538, 0/0
    Reggie Cannon (98), D, Dallas - 6/6, 495, 0/0
    Miles Robinson (97), D, Atlanta - 5/5, 450, 0/0
    Jeremy Ebobisse (97), F, Portland - 6/5, 415, 2/0
    Brenden Aaronson (00), M, Philadelphia - 5/5, 412, 1/0
    Cole Bassett (01), M, Colorado - 6/5, 391, 1/1

^Jesus Ferreira (00), F, Dallas - 6/4, 365, 2/2
    Djordje Mihailovic (98), M, Chicago - 6/4, 360, 0/0
    Edwin Cerillo (00), M, Dallas - 5/4, 322, 0/0
    Jeremiah Gutjahr (97), M/D, Chicago - 3/3, 270, 0/0
    Dani Acosta (97), D/M, Orlando - 3/3, 254, 0/0
    Kyle Duncan (97), D, New York RB - 3/3, 244, 0/0
    Gianluca Busio (02), M, Kansas City - 5/2, 238, 3/0
    Jackson Yueill (97), M, San Jose - 5/2, 238, 1/0
    DeJuan Jones (97), F/M, New England - 4/3, 220, 0/1
    Sebastian Saucedo (97), F/M, Salt Lake - 5/2, 192, 0/1

Jonathan Lewis (97), M/F, New York City - 5/2, 172, 0/1
    Omir Fernandez (99), M, New York RB - 2/1, 144, 0/0
    Ayo Akinola (00), F, Toronto, 4/1, 121, 1/1
    Chris Durkin (00), M, DC - 4/1, 120, 1/0
    Justen Glad (97), D, Salt Lake, 1/1, 90, 0/0
    Donovan Pines (98), D, DC - 1/1, 90, 0/1
    Sam Vines (99), D, Colorado - 1/1, 90, 0/0
    Tate Schmitt (97), F, Salt Lake - 2/1/, 80, 0/0
    Santiago Patino (97), F, Orlando - 2/1, 76, 0/1
    Thomas Roberts (01), Dallas, 2/1, 73, 0/0

Andrew Carleton (00), M, Atlanta - 3/0, 64, 0/0
    Efrain Alvarez (02), M, LA Galaxy - 2/0, 61, 0/1
    Emil Cuello (97), M, LA Galaxy - 1/1, 60, 0/0
    Derrick Jones (97), M, Philadelphia - 2/0, 57, 0/0
    Gedion Zelalem (97), M, Kansas City - 1/1, 56, 0/0
    Justin Rennicks (99), F, New England - 1/0, 45, 0/0
    JJ Williams (98), F, Columbus - 1/0, 36, 0/0
    John Nelson (98), D, Dallas - 2/0, 32, 0/0
    Niko Hamalainen (97), D, LAFC - 2/0, 30, 0/1
    Julian Araujo (01), D, LA Galaxy - 2/0, 30, 0/0

Eric Calvillo (98), M, San Jose - 1/0, 28, 0/0
    Sean Nealis (97), D, New York RB - 1/0, 26, 0/0
    Josh Perez (98), M, LAFC - 1/0, 24, 0/0
    Frankie Amaya (00), M, Cincinnati - 2/0, 21, 0/0
    Ethan Zubak (98), F, LA Galaxy - 1/0, 15, 0/0
    Keaton Parks (97), M, New York City - 2/0, 13, 0/0
    Mark McKenzie (99), D, Philadelphia- 1/0, 12, 0/0
    Benji Michel (97), F, Orlando - 1/0, 12, 0/0
    Hassani Dotson (97), M, Minnesota - 3/0, 10, 0/0
    Anthony Fontana (99), M, Philadelphia - 1/0, 9, 0/0

^Handwalla Bwana (97), M, Seattle - 1/0, 7, 0/0
    Luis Arriaga (01), F, Salt Lake - 2/0, 4, 0/0
    Brandon Servania (99), M, Dallas - 1/0, 2, 0/0

Patrick167 repped this.
  23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I would be interested in seeing who flies more in a year: MLS players flying across the country for league games versus B1 or EPL players.

24. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    If you are asking about league games than I would think that is a pretty easy question to answer. The main issue seems to be east west (in the study) with travelling east somewhat easier than west because it has the players travelling east playing in a time which is closer to better performance time ("closer to their circadian peaks").

Champions league teams would tend to fly more than typical B1, EPL etc teams. but probably still less than MLS teams. When you look at intercontinental travel, (NT games), the issue is compounded by all the factors mentioned PLUS exhaustion due to long flights and extreme differences in time zones.

25. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    So why are we using air travel to say that players in better than MLS leagues are susceptible to injury when it’s the MLS players who have many more air miles under their belt?