2019 awards discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, Sep 22, 2019.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    As best as I can tell, she was never a pariah with the players, just a very big subset of the fans.

Competitive professional athletes in team sports are generally agnostic about their teammates personal opinions and activities as long as they help them win. Obviously with the Courage being in its fourth consecutive championship game as well as having won the last three Shields, her presence has been a problem with her club teammates - many of whom are "out and proud".

I, personally, find some of her past public statements distasteful, but week in and week out I watch her interact with those with far more right to be put out, offended, hurt, or harmed and I see nothing but comradeship and professionalism.

They don't all necessarily hang out with her, but she is sure as hell respected on the field by teammates and opponents alike.

CoachJon, Mills and cpthomas repped this.
  2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    To be fair, Harris put Hinkle on blast in a short Twitter thread not too long ago, and I thought I saw several other USWNTers like those Tweets, so there's certainly some friction from other players. How pervasive, IDK, especially since Harris is one of the more outspoken personalities to begin with.

= = = = =

Anyway, the First XI and Second XI have been announced:
    http://www.nwslsoccer.com/news/article/2019-nwsl-best-xi-and-second-xi-announced
    Pretty highly suggests that Bledsoe will be the GotY and Balcer will be the RotY. Considering that a lot of the media & fan discussion about DotY was between Short & Hinkle, but Hinkle isn't even on the Second XI, I'm guessing it's gonna be Short - but that fact that Hinkle isn't anywhere to be seen here may mean someone's snuck in...

59Amerinorsk and Smallchief repped this.
  3. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That's the most ridiculous best XI ever. And the most ridiculous choice of all is Rose Lavelle. She played a grand total of 6 games this year and scored one goal. And she's on the first XI?

Second worse choice: Rapinoe on the second XI? She also appeared in only six games.

59Amerinorsk, blissett, lil_one and 2 others repped this.
  4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And Jess Fishlock's tweet in all the uproar over the League's Best XI teams had her picking Hinkle.

It would be interesting to see how the player's votes for the the league and union lists line up.

5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sydney Leroux agrees:

The only USWNT player that I personally think should be on the Best XI seeing that she had a standout season despite being away for WWC play would be Julie Ertz who made a significant difference when with Chicago. But I think there's a good argument for Press and Sauerbrunn, too. In addition to Lavelle and Rapinoe, I think Heath and Horan didn't have amazing enough seasons to make the Best XI this year, maybe Second Best XI.

The real head scratcher is there's no Debinha in and no Williams in either team (and they were second in the assists and goals category for the league, respectively).

The sad thing is that the Best XI is determined mostly by people in the industry themselves.

59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, you get the feeling that Lavelle and Rapinoe were chosen for their performance in the WWC, but it was no NWSL, so they shouldn't be in the best XI for that specific tournament.

To me, the biggest head scratcher is no Nagasato in the best XI, since she's #1 in the league in the assist category. But I admit Debinha too (arguably one of the best NC players this season) doesn't even deserve a second best XI's place. I know there are a boatload and excellent MFs in the league, but seriously... :unsure:

I hope no-one take offense, but you get the feeling that non-US players were crippled in this vote and that a player from USWNT, despite just playing a few games in the league, had more chances of making these best XI teams than an excellent player from overseas who actually left her mark on this league. :cautious:

Smallchief, Mills and 59Amerinorsk repped this.
  7. Mills

Mills Member

Aug 23, 2019
    #32 Mills, Oct 25, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019

I actually like Jess Fishlock's' picks... a lot.
    My only question is, who is "Lulu?"

blissett repped this.
  8. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Lauren Barnes

Mills and blissett repped this.
  9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #34 SiberianThunderT, Oct 25, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    Oh, yeah; I don't disagree that Hinkle has been one of the best D's in the league. From a competition standpoint, I agree with your earlier comments that other players in the league should and do recognize her skill as a player. I was more trying to provide more nuance to your statement about her place in the NT (and maybe league?) culture. That is, people can still highly respect your talent on the field while also not wanting you as a person on their team.

To your second point, it does make everyone wonder exactly how all the different subdivisions of voters lined up... You have to imagine that the player votes in both cases can't be too different - unless the league really mixed up their bookkeeping. I can entirely understand if the fan vote got heavily skewed by the influx of WWC fans, so if the voting was close with the combination of the other three categories, then that could explain things. Though how it could be close enough on other categories to include Lavelle+Rapinoe while ignoring Hinkle+Debhina still would be odd.

I wonder if owners voted for PR, or if the media vote itself was skewed somehow. I notice that the "NWSL Media" Twitter account has said *nothing* directly since Oct11, and none of the RTs they've done since then have touched the official NWSL awards. Apparently, neither Meg Linehan nor Caitlin Murray got media ballots, which strikes me as incredibly odd.

10. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lavelle's six games must have been dynamite games. She must have scored about 15 goals in those games.

Oh.

blissett repped this.
  11. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Balcer is the rookie of the year. No surprise there -- but surprisingly DiBiasi edged out Staab, both of Washington, for second place.

Staab should have been a close second to Balcer. DiBiasi started the season with a bang, but faded -- IMO.

59Amerinorsk, lunatica and blissett repped this.
  12. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all the deserved crap the Best and Second XI selections have gotten, the other 3 awards have been the right choices.

59Amerinorsk and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  13. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    Just saw on NWSL website that Becky Sauerbrunn got DOTY for NWSL - I was hoping for Casey Short - oh, well, nothing against Becky.

14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I am so tired of Casey Short not getting respect.

Kept off the World Cup team for an old has-been, and now doesn't win Defensive Player of the Year even though she keeps winning Defensive Player monthly, consistently.

Unbelievable!

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Plenty against Becky. Not as egregious as Kelly O'Hara's 242 minutes played being good enough to be a top 8 defender, but still only playing 14 of 24 games shouldn't qualify someone for "defender of the year". Missing over 40% of the season should be a limiting factor.

Frankly, I'd have been fine with either Short or Hinkle. I think Short was better over the course of the season, but Hinkle's form the last two months of the regular season was incredible.

lil_one and 59Amerinorsk repped this.
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah, it's -
    ...oops, spoke too soon. :confused:

BlueCrimson and 59Amerinorsk repped this.
  17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly the classy response I've come to expect from Becky and quite similar to her response to winning the award in 2015.

59Amerinorsk, blissett and Mills repped this.
  19. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    In international connection category, Miyama-Marta comes to mind ;)

59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  20. Mills

Mills Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Very classy.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  21. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Typically, Sauerbrunn's comment is modest -- but I agree with her. First, she only played 14 games out of 24. Secondly, Utah had an excellent defense without her --as well as with her.

Either Short or Hinkle should have been defender of the year in my opinion.

AndyMead and blissett repped this.
  22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Given that the Defender of the Month was Short for each and every month, I'm not sure when Sauerbrunn (or anyone else) was better.

blissett and Mills repped this.
  23. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    After the laughable First and Second XI teams were released, it's clear NWSL "awards" are not worth the paper they are printed on. Not merit based, simply a popularity contest. Useless. Therefore Short shouldn't feel too bad-- although to narrowly miss the World Cup roster, her club team get demolished in the league final, then to get disrespected by this vote is a triple whammy that can't feel great.

Glad Becky acknowledged what everyone is thinking in her post.

blissett repped this.
  24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Except that these awards do matter in some contexts.

Many players have bonuses based on such awards. It's easier to get personal sponsorship deals when you can call yourself an NWSL Best XI or Defender of the Year. Appearance fees for appearances and player camps are higher.

In the long run, these sorts of things are used to build resumes for various honors or Halls of Fame. Eventually the league will get this sorted out and these things will have some weight, there'll be no asterisks for 2019.

This will be a lost opportunity for some of the rank and file players. Monetarily and reputationally.

William49, SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.