Review: 2019 Audi Field Experiences

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The depth and breadth of knowledge of committed soccer fans is breathtaking.

dadman, Winoman, griffin1108 and 2 others repped this.
  2. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

we do trend towards being know it all's. :p

dadman and fatbastard repped this.
  3. Abner Ravenwood

Jul 21, 2004
    Last seen in Nepal
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goddammit, now I want pizza...

dadman, Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  4. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    #279 JayRockers!, Apr 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    Or pizza.

Thx,

Jay!

edit: That's not to say you can't find pizza, pizza chains, or even good pizza. Living there six years I never found a standard "style" that wasn't co-opted from New York.

edit ii: And Jersey's so big, there's NY, Philly and the shore all having influence on what type of pizza you would get.

5. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Or MLS silverware . . . :ROFLMAO:

Or even full soccer stadia . . . :sneaky:

Just sayin'

fatbastard and JayRockers! repped this.
  6. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Buona at All Purpose is a damn tasty pizza.

7. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No-one has said snooty pizza can't taste good :)

I've also always heard jersey makes a better cheesesteak sub than anywhere in pennsyltucky, but I still try to avoid the state whenever possible for health reasons (mental and otherwise) :)

Sounds like the stadium will be hoppin' tomorrow afternoon - should be good for a fresh new bunch of things people liked and didn't for next week on the thread :)

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  8. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    this thread has taken a decidedly entertaining turn...thx!

Winoman and dadman repped this.
  9. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    that supplier might not be (although Spock from Vulcan was always more than a bit aloof - that counts as him being snooty, yes?) although I always prefered southern states....

10. bigdavestud

bigdavestud Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Does anyone have a report on actually using FAM to purchase food? I have read reviews of people purchasing the $15 FAM food vouchers, but have missed any reports on how it worked actually getting food.

I have purchased two $15 vouchers for this weekend's game. The fact that my credit card wasn't accepted at the Cubano stand at my last game, makes me a little worried I might have complications with the FAM. My specific question is will I be able to use the FAM like a gift cards, or will I need to make separate food purhcases for each $15 voucher?

11. bigdavestud

bigdavestud Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    The experience was better than I expected (I purchased my food before the game started, after all -- our play on the field was awful). I made my purchase simply by scanning my phone on the reader at the concession stand. The first one, "beep", my $23.50 total was reduced by $15. I flipped on my phone to the next concession voucher, scanned it, "beep", my total was reduced to zero. Better still, the receipt indicated a balance of $6.50 left on my concession voucher.

The policy on what is allowed to be purchased with concession vouchers and what is not is left for the staff to enforce. It isn't enforced by the computer system. I consider that a temporary situation, but I'll take the added benefit while I can.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  12. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Matthew Henson Center staff were serving burgers, hot dogs & pulled pork sandwiches for $5 at the Screaming Eagles tailgate plus $1 for a bag of chips. They were also handing out free slices of cake in honor of the anniversary of Matthew Henson reaching the North Pole. As always, there was free beer and hard cider for S.E. members.

It's been a while since I bought any food or adult beverages inside the stadium.

Winoman repped this.
  13. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Parked in the M Street lot yesterday (you enter of Half Street). What a clusterfcuk leaving. Thankfully, my son used Waze to direct us out -- including going through a condominium parking lot that says "No Outlet", which isn't true. Took us about 40 minutes from Half Street to upper Northwest where he lives. Last night I decided to cancel all my M Street parking on SpotHero because if you are west of S. Capitol you are royally screwed trying to get out. Lo and behold, Lot H/I which earlier in the year was unavailable, now is. Grabbed all remaining dates before I go overseas later this summer. Anyone if a similar situation should revisit SpotHero and move if possible.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  14. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Traffic for me was just awful. I left my house yesterday a little before 11:00 AM and got to my seat just before kickoff. There was an accident on the ramp to 395, which was a part of the delay, but not all of it. I live west of C'ville and the trip is usually between 2.5 to 3 hours. As griffin1108 points out, traffic getting out wasn't much better. Last year I parked in a lot on Potomac. I used to dread the drive up S Capitol to get to the interstate. For the previous game, I exited the lot onto Second Street, with a straight shot to M Street and an easy connection to 66. Yesterday they closed Second St. before M and I had to snake around to get to M, which was really congested. Even 66 was stop and go for several miles. I'm hoping it was just a perfect storm: Saturday afternoon, the Cherry Blossom Festival, a beautiful day, a big crowd, etc.
    Last year, I walked down Potomac and entered at Gate A. Yesterday I entered at the gate on the east side of AF, and walked under the East stand. Wow, is that area bleak: dark and damp with an unfinished look to it. Not as bleak as the game though. They've put concession and merchandise stands in this area. You'd think they could have put some paint and proper lighting there as well. Are they trying to save money or did they just not think of it? There is still so much they could do to improve the stadium. I don't think anyone really wants to go back to RFK, but there is a feeling of disappointment with AF, a feeling that it could have and should have been so much more.

asitis

15. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I think the east side is where the Pepco easement is located. I'm assuming that precludes the construction of permanent concession stands/restrooms/offices/shops, etc. Otherwise you're right, it's a rather unappealing area and compares unfavorably to the west side.

tallguy repped this.
  16. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which M Street lot did you park in? I parked in the one at 55 M Street SE, and outside of having to wait a couple of cycles to turn onto South Capitol to get on 395 to head towards Capital One Arena, I didn't have any issues getting out of my garage or with traffic in general.

17. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I believe it was 25 M Street, SW a half block west of S. Capitol. You enter by making a right turn onto Half Street (when traveling westbound). I do not recommend that lot as exiting either requires a right onto M which puts you down into Waterfront/Wharf traffic or you have to make a left turn onto M to go eastbound. Or you can go right on Half on the exit and then snake through the side streets with the help of Waze.

18. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, you definitely were on the wrong side of South Capitol. I never gave anything on that side any thought when I bought my parking at 55 M SE.

Actually, getting in and out of that garage has been a breeze, too - never had to wait to get in (which was a pretty regular occurrence at H/I), and never had to wait to get out.

19. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Oh yes, I know that. My point was that it was just so bleak and dark. If it's an entrance and if they're going to put sales kiosks there, they should try to make it look more inviting: maybe a little paint on the unfinished metal, better lighting, some appropriate signage. For many this area is their first impression of DCU and the stadium. It's like inviting someone into your home and having them enter through an unfinished basement. Spruce it up a bit,

asitis

20. autogolazzo

autogolazzo Member+

Mar 4, 2007
    You sound pretty... umm... snooty.

griffin1108 repped this.
  21. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless the improvements on the east side are set up on stilts.

22. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yes I am soccer snooty, this is not an event it is a match. :p

23. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    Back to my drive + bike in routine. I decided (sounds like it was the right call) to park further out to avoid any potential traffic issues. At first I parked on M street just east of the overpass at M & 11th where all of the Federal Protective Service cars are now that they have vacated Buzzard Point. I wasn't sure about the meters down there so I asked one officer who was in his car...he clued me into the lot at Maritime Plaza which is open (gates are up) on the weekends.

I took the trail along the waterfront all the way in which was a beautiful ride and wow is that area changing since OI moved out three years ago.

24. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Pretty sure the football deal here is XFL not AAF soooo :rolleyes:

25. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United