2019 Attendance

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by cpthomas, Mar 31, 2019.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1171579880116563968 is not a valid tweet id

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Too bad they didn't try moving the season-closer to RBA as well!

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CoachJon repped this.
  4. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    What is amazing about the Washington Spirit is that they have, if not the highest ticket prices of any team in the league, they must at least be pretty close to it. In spite of the prices, they have been able to pack them in for two games. when the final totals come in for the season, those two games will represent half of their total attendance for the season. Got to wonder if they go all in for next season and play all their games there.

kolabear and BostonRed repped this.
  5. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah. They'll come here to Big Soccer and see all the people talking gloom-and-doom so why bother?

Our side has won the argument that needed to be won. It's settled doctrine and we need to treat it as settled doctrine. Sure, there can be dips again in attendance. Sure there can be attrition after a post-World Cup bump. But there is a sustainable audience for women's soccer and a potential for growth which can always be rekindled every World Cup/Olympics cycle or two. Women's soccer, like several other women's sports, is here to stay and we should treat it as such. Unless our secret objective really is to put down women's sports.

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, us DCites might not notice as much since the cost of living is so damn high here anyway. X'-D
    I know the guy who's helped run United Night Out (DCU's Pride night) since its inception, and at the previous Spirit@Audi game, he hinted that something big could be in the works that would have the Spirit playing there way more often. Although he didn't say it directly, it almost sounded like DCU might get directly involved with the Spirit - which at least sounded plausible to me, since Steve Goff reported that DCU was interested back when news of potentially new ownership for the Spirit was starting up last winter - but when he said that, all I could think of was "c'mon man, don't tease!"

7. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Actually that is one of the things I was wondering about, some sort of partnership could be in the works. With the kind of drawing for those two games, it should generate even more interest on the part of DC United.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    How are things in Chicago?

9. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    They can't move the game to Red Bull Arena as the Red Bulls actually have a game that day.

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You can have two games in the same venue in the same day! That's been done before. X-D

11. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the Timbers and Thorns did it, for one, and afterwards said they would prefer not to do it again. It's a logistical nightmare.

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Great Crowd at North Carolina 9563. Their biggest of the season.

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And their regular season record:

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Melikes the ever-continued high interest! Now to just get some season-ending sellouts. NJ already has one of theirs sold out, and I'd expect DC, SEA, and POR to do so too. NC maybe.

toad455 and kolabear repped this.
  17. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Only 2,871 in NJ. About 1k+ better than what they were getting before the World Cup.

18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If the "off" games are still above 2.5k and the "on" games are around 5k, (which would be a sellout for NJ or DC,) I think that's a fairly good place to be for an independent team (including CHI) - especially if you get the occasional "marquee" game at 8k+.

blissett repped this.
  19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hmm... I guess they're buying them and then giving them away? Odd tactic... Nice for the teams to get ticket money but that's not a huge incentive for people to use said tickets.

I'd prefer just an outright sponsorship

blissett repped this.
  21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Yeah, I think the latter would be vastly more effective. When you make the cost of a good or service nil, it tends to get valued by the consumers accordingly, which ends up being bad in the medium-to-long term. Human nature is persistent.

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    toad455 and blissett repped this.
  23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    They did the thing. Props. Well, here's hoping for continued good sales.

blissett repped this.
  24. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    The 11am start time does suck though. They should make a deal with anyone with a ticket to the Red Bulls game later that evening ($5?).

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What a horribly worded advertisement. I seriously doubt Secret is buying 81,000 tickets, but that's how it is worded. They're buying 1,000 tickets to 9 NWSL games.

Which in normal parlance is called sponsorship.

But hey, marketing gonna do marketing. Right?