2019 Atlanta United Postmortem and 2020 Preseason

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Auriaprottu, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget Caleb Porter is the manager there now. He was Darlington's college coach, I believe, and his coach at Portland. I thing Darlington would like to play for him again.

Credit where it's due, FdB altered his tactics by the end of the season to suit the players, but he still is going to want to play the style he prefers. Now that he's had a year to evaluate players, I'm sure he has a clear idea of who he wants to keep and who he doesn't.

Unless we get an offer for a DP that gives a profit (and the only one I could see happening is Josy) they're staying. Aside from LB the back seems to be fine, and I'd imagine the club is hoping a healthy Bello will grab onto that spot next season. That leaves the midfield. FdB wants players that can play with the ball at their feet at also play defence. That seems to exclude Tito and Meram from the discussion, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them go this off season. If Nagbe leaves, maybe Remedi is a good replacement for him at that position. If not, he could be on the outs as well. Jeff seems to want to come back. Could be a good idea, as he's the natural replacement for Parky as captain.

This will be the first time since Ajax that FdB will have a second season with a team, so it'll be interesting to see what happens once he gets a squad that closer fits his philosophy. I am encouraged at how he seems to be able to improve players under his tutelage. Pity and Barco seemed to become more complete players this year, more willing to go two-way. And Miles went from a bench player to a MLS best eleven. I think Josef even did better with his build-up play this year. If he can continue to improve players on the team, I think we'll be fine.

GunnerJacket, Auriaprottu and VFish repped this.
  2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Exactly, that is why I asked 'where would he go?'. Columbus seems like the only place that makes sense for him. Someone mentioned Portland, but he was under appreciated when he played for the Timbers and Caleb Porter is no longer coaching there. In Atlanta he has been a focal part of FdB's strategy and has florished, so unless he just wants to go home and play for Porter I don't understand why he would leave. Money perhaps?

3. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's exactly that.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Meram was one of the players Frank brought in. Not sure I agree that he can't play defense. Tito can't play with the ball at his feet nor defense (though in fairness he has need been asked to track back), with him it is all run and gun, so he probably will move on.

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Is Caleb Porter going to help assemble a team like the one Nagbe played on in 2018, or does Nagbe think he's the missing piece to a title team? Seems like Nagbe wanting to leave came up earlier in the season, but I can't recall exactly why.

That's a yuge concern. This year's team was full of stalwarts from 2017 and 2018, and a few more (Pity, Emo, Bello, Pereira, Meram) were added. What's going to happen to us when FdB gets his guys in place?

If Guzan stays, I'd give him the armband. Unlike Jeff, he's probably not going to commit many fouls. Ideally, Nagbe would wear that band, but he's leaving.

Another great thing about an MLS team full of senior-age Argentines is that most of those guys ain't getting serious callups. Not Gressel, either, unless he opts for the US. We may have less difficulty avoiding what happened to Miles if we have fewer US players to begin with.

6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Are you kidding? Gressel is never going to get called into the German squad and even a call up to the USMNT is a stretch. Any chance he has means Atlanta need to sign him to a big contract (which he has earned).

And I'd hardly call Ezequiel Barco a senior age Argentine, he is a U21 regular. The only player that fits that description and might get a call up is Pity Martinez. Neither Escobar, LGP, Remedi, nor Villalba are going to get called into the Argentine camp.

7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    We will be fine.

Emo, Periera, and Meram were all brought in under FdB's guidance and they proved to be valuable additions. Bello is a product of our youth program, and developing youth talent is Frank's forte. The only one in your list you can question if de Boer handled correctly is Pity Martinez, and to be honest I like how Pity has progressed. MotM last night. It wasn't Pity nor the manager's fault that we lost.

8. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus is what I've heard, yeah.

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Well if going home is the reason I hope he doesn't leave. I remember talking with Columbus fans when the early season rumors were saying Darlington wanted to go back to Columbus and play for Caleb Porter and the Crew fans didn't speak highly of him. I'll put that down to ignorance and not realizing how well Nagbe was playing and important he'd become to our team.

10. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    pity started the game on fire but he wasn't very effective in the 2nd half and gave the ball away cheaply a few times (per usual)

i really think meram would've changed the game. he's much more direct than our other wingers who tend to overdribble and don't have the quick initiative to catch defenders on their backfoot with a quick cross.

the season was a success but my frustration, as with other fans, is things seemed to line up for an MLS Cup repeat with LAFC's elimination and losing in a game we thoroughly dominated early on.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  11. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    sorry no, just his vague statement during the post-match presser

Auriaprottu repped this.
  12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #37 GunnerJacket, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    The idea was first floated during the preseason when Nagbe was silently absent from training, though nothing was openly discussed. Then Roberson raised the spectre once more in his late season article about who he thought might stay or go. (Unfortunately that article is no longer available.)

Edit: Found it. Summary of his thoughts, keeping in mind it plays out a few thoughts on sales and resignings:

Won’t be with the club next season
    Mo Adams - His contract expires after the 2019 season.
    Mikey Ambrose - His contract expires after the 2019 season.
    Andrew Carleton - If his contract expires, I don’t think he will be with the club next season, unless it’s a sign and full-season loan.
    Leandro Gonzalez Pirez - I think he will be sold.
    Chris Goslin - If his contract will expire, I don’t think he will be with the club next season.
    Kevin Kratz
    Darlington Nagbe
    Brek Shea
    Brandon Vasquez

Hector Villalba

At the club next season
    Ezequiel Barco - If he’s not sold, he will be with the club next season.
    George Bello
    Franco Escobar
    Luiz Fernando
    Julian Gressel
    - He will be with the club next season.
    Brad Guzan
    Emerson Hyndman
    - (Unless playing time is a concern.)
    Alec Kann
    Jeff Larentowicz
    Pity Martinez
    Josef Martinez
    Justin Meram
    Brendan Moore
    Dion Pereira
    Florentin Pogba
    Eric Remedi
    Miles Robinson

Eleven Bravo, VFish and Auriaprottu repped this.
  13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    That article should be required reading if only for the answer to this question:

Q: Question, with de Boer as coach, do you think that we are going to follow in the steps of Ajax and be a feeder team for first tier clubs within the next decade?

14. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The expansion draft will also make things interesting.

15. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he doesn't leave regardless. Interesting that your sample of Columbus supporters didn't seem to rate him. When I was out in Portland for our away match, the nearly unanimous sentiment amongst the Portland supporters we spoke to was that they missed him and would love for him to return.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Both Crew fans and those in Portland bemoaned the lack goals, as if that was his job.

17. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I never understood that argument, and not just about Nagbe. It's nice when a team can throw out in attack multiple scoring threats, but if the overall scheme works then it doesn't matter where the final touch comes from.

I've lost count of all the times Nagbe tracked back to cover the team defensively beyond his assigned role, or the number of times he was able to literally dribble and/or pass Atlanta's way out of a crowded back third and into a productive attack. He's among the most poised ball handlers the US has produced, regardless of the lack of MNT appearances. He doesn't get into foul trouble, he's by all accounts great in the clubhouse, and he has no problem letting other guys take the spotlight. He just wants to do the work and get the W. That's an incredibly invaluable trait in building a top team in this day and age, I say.

If he leaves I say a sincere thanks and wish him the best. I also think he'll be incredibly difficult to replace.

Eleven Bravo, VFish and Auriaprottu repped this.
  18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Farmer Frank did well. Four months to go.

Let's see what we can do in the CCL.

Atlanta Damn United FC.

19. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    "A - D - UFC!

A - D - UFC!

A - D - UFC!"

Auriaprottu repped this.
  20. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its worth mentioning that Atlanta played more games this year than any other team in MLS. Combine that with a short off-season because of Atlanta going to MLS Cup last year and the change in schedule, these guys have been going basically two years with only a month off. With a true off-season, and a full pre-season, I'd expect the team to start a lot better next season than this season.

Auriaprottu and GunnerJacket repped this.
  21. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Agreed, with one caveat: negotiations between the league and players union on a new contract. Ideally it's sorted out quickly and the team can get their own affairs in order soon. We want to get our new players in ASAP so they can become acclimated BEFORE the games matter.

Mach1 and Auriaprottu repped this.
  22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sooo, Nagbe's gone to Columbus. Irreplaceable unless we get out the wallet.

23. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not saying I share the sentiment, but to get an idea where Crew fans are coming from: we have had multiple years recently where neither CM scored a goal (or just one) and both also had zero (or one) assists. And in seasons where we struggled to score generally outside of the CF spot.

A lot of Crew fans were/are hoping for a CM who produces more goals/assists, which is not really Nagbe's forte.

I for one am glad to have him. We need help & he helps.

GunnerJacket and VFish repped this.
  24. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Well it is all but official. His house is for sale and the AJC is reporting the trade for an undisclosed amount of Allocation Money.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-united-reportedly-trading-nagbe-columbus/e6YdHy4d8JfOUeQwpAOxGK/

I am happy for him and hope he does well for you in Columbus. He was fan favorite and is going to be a difficult player to replace. We'll be keeping an eye on him so expect to see some visitors from the ATL on the Crew board.

Cheers!

GunnerJacket repped this.
  25. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States