2019 Asian Cup - Knockout Rounds II[R]

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by el-capitano, Jan 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    I don't think it's possible at this stage as they should reverse the whole tournament. The least they could do is suspend Al-Rawi and Almoez from playing for Qatar.

It's a different story now. A lot of countries are involved now, including UAE. And as you know Qatar has political tensions with almost every Gulf country nowadays. Plus they have forged official documents and it can be proven. I think we have a strong case now.

2. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    They don’t need to reverse the whole tournament as UAE were the only opponent to lodged a formal protest within the required 2 hours after full time. All the other results would stand.
    The same thing happened at the Oceania qualifier for the Rio Olympics. NZ played Declan Wynne who was ineligible under the same not lived continually for 5 years after turning 18 rule and no family ties to NZ. Vanuatu protested after the semi final loss and got promoted into the final, which the then lost anyway to Fiji.

3. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Did they? I don't think the complaint was sent within 2 hours..

4. thewitness

thewitness Member

Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  5. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The interesting thing about this protest is that had the Qatari FA petitioned FIFA to make Ali and al-Rawi eligible to play for Qatar, they probably would have been granted approval. When a player has lived for 5+ years in the country which he wants to represent but not after the age of 18 (basically, players who immigrated as minors), the national team association technically needs to file a petition to FIFA to clear their eligibility, but in these cases it's usually the case that it goes through without a hitch. For instance, this was the case when Arsenal's then-18yo Gedion Zelalem switched from Germany to the US federation, having just been naturalized after moving to the States at the age of 9. The USSF's petition was quickly approved.

6. thewitness

thewitness Member

Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    With those type of exemptions, the FA from the players place of birth have to approve the switch. The Iraqi FA would probably not have granted that request for Al-Rawi.

7. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    He wasn’t registered in Iraq FA as a player.

8. thewitness

thewitness Member

Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It doesn’t matter, they still have to approve the switch, because that’s where he was born. It’s happened a few times for some of Australia’s young African born players, some of whom arrived in Australia when they were 3 years old. Waiting on the approval from the original countries FA can sometimes take years.

Mussab86 repped this.
  9. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, this is different from the change of association process (where the player in question represented his “old” country in official youth competitions), where you need sign off from the other FA. But it is true that FIFA may be less inclined to rubber stamp someone like Almoez Ali, who pretty obviously arrived in Qatar for the purpose of training at Aspire Academy - which is the type of trafficking in underage footballers that they purport to be against. So perhaps the QFA has some good reason to try and cook up some fake family records.

10. thewitness

thewitness Member

Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    As I said above we have had multiple Australian players who have arrived from Africa as young children or babies requiring approval from the FA of the country of their birth before they can be granted an exemption to represent Australia even at youth level because of no family connections to Australia . This process has taken ages for some players as there Home associations are unwilling to approve it.

naopon repped this.
  11. Qatar

Qatar Member

Jan 24, 2016
    #161 Qatar, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    This is simply false.

Almoez Ali and Bassam Alrawi’s parents moved to Qatar for economical/political reasons, their sons played football at local clubs from the ages of 7-10. They stood out and were eventually recruited by Aspire.

They were not recruited to play football in Qatar like what we used to do with Brazilians and others, which was a failure and we never had a cohesive unit of a team.

Qatar is a popular destination for arab exapts (at least triple the local population).

The core of our team is born/homegrown, played with each other in the U14 team in Aspire Academy, won the U19 Asian Cup in 2014, then got 3rd place in the last Asian Games U23. All was done with the same current coach Felix Sanchez.

Some people are just upset to see us at the final which is understandable, however others like the respectable investigative journalist (lol) Scott Mcintyre are on UAE payrolls.

naopon, Mussab86 and qatarigunner repped this.
  12. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Good luck
    As I said earlier Im always have been a Japan NT fan but I dont mind Qatar winning this one. Im gonna set back cheer for both and enjoy watching the finale. May the better team win.

13. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You're so funny!! Damn I think the Maracana would look like a bomb scare if we got that Final?:D

14. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, kind of a strange post here, but is there anyone here UAE-based, or can get to the UAE in like less than 23 hours :p and wants a free ticket to tomorrow's game, let me know. I bought a ticket for the final months ago, but can't travel this weekend as I have work Saturday.. although I was quite bummed about it, might be better to watch here in Doha anyway. But anyway, if anyone wants the ticket just PM me and it's yours. :thumbsup: Seems like everyone I know there is trying to get rid of tickets lol...

15. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    I live in Japan, and there appears to be a great deal of fascination and respect towards the Qatar team from their fans. I certainly wouldn't begrudge a Qatari victory.

On the other hand it would be a great sporting week for Japan if they win it. An Australian Open title to start the week, and an Asian Cup to end it!

16. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    #166 Mussab86, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  17. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Mussab86 repped this.
  18. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    UAE players origins
    Some I know is true like the Yemenis and the Moroccan defender but was surprised how many Omani origins playing for UAE

19. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    this is absolutely ridiculous. Ali Moez Ali has 34 caps to his name, and Al Rawi has 14. So these guys must have been playing in official competative matches before this Asian cup. Moez certainly. How come all of these allegations are just comming up right now ? Moez has been playing in Qatar since he was 7 for pete's sake.

UAE are absolutely pathetic do be doing this. You got creamed 4-0 at home and you are trying to force your way into the final. Have they no shame. This team that has been piss poor virtually this whole tournament. The fans who acted with absolutely no class throwing their slippers at the players.

Sore despicable losers.

Zbagint repped this.
  20. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    At least suspend Al-Rawi and Almoez, let them see that they can't get away with it.
    Any other team in the world would get an automatic forfeit.

Disqualification would be impossible at this stage, so just suspend the players.

21. Qatar

Qatar Member

Jan 24, 2016
    On what grounds? Because you mad bruh?

In all seriousness, get over it.

22. Qatar

Qatar Member

Jan 24, 2016
    I look forward to a good match as well, the cup would be a bonus at this point.

Good luck to Iraq next time.

Mussab86 repped this.
  23. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Because birth certificates have been forged to naturalize them. They are ineligible to play for Qatar.

[​IMG]

24. Qatar

Qatar Member

Jan 24, 2016
    Source? Evidence?

You cited a FIFA provision, I see only claims from upset UAE and Iraqi journalists. I’m not rubbing it in just laying it how it is.

Provide the forged certificates and you have a case.

25. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    The mother of Bassam was a biology school teacher from Iraq, player's grandfather is Adnan Juma, a resident of Qatana in Ramadi. He is 21 years of age so doesn't meet criteria 7d either.

There is no way the player would be eligible. Based on which article?