2019 Asian Cup - Knockout Rounds II[R]

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by el-capitano, Jan 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Red card for UAE player

2. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
  3. hanginglanguage

Juventus
    China
    Nov 23, 2017
    game over mercifully

Mussab86 repped this.
  4. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    Wow that must hurt. Getting humped in your own backyard AND having to walk home barefoot.

el-capitano and Mussab86 repped this.
  5. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's 4-0 Qatar!! Well as a die hard Brazil fan, this is a note to the rest of S.America during this summer's Copa America in which both Qatar and Japan are invited to play in that they wont be easy pushovers!!

kennytt and Mussab86 repped this.
  6. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    It will be interesting to see how they do. Funny that the 2 sides taking part in the Copa ended up being the best 2 sides in this tournament.

Mussab86 and Zbagint repped this.
  7. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hee hee yeah.. this is just a warm up for the Copa America final!

Mussab86 repped this.
  8. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Qatar 4 goals
    UAE 5 flip flops
    IMG_6847.jpg

9. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a "neat" review of the game...lol...By the way, those flip flops look expensive...from a rich country

10. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Undoubtely the best two teams reached the Final. I had an Japan - Qatar Final after the group stage had finished. It indeed happened.

kennytt and Mussab86 repped this.
  11. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    #61 persianfootball, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    obviously the real final was Iran vs japan which were the 2 best teams of the tournament. qatar is good at pouncing on weak and overrated teams but they are still untested against a top asian team: they did not play Iran or japan. I am sure Iran would have outperformed qatar if they played together. qatar was just lucky to avoid japan until the final while Iran had the misfortune of being forced into a premature final with japan during the semi final stage.

obviously since qatar will defend against japan and japan is a result-oriented team who will only go for the minimum that will give them their objective, the final is going to be close (unless japan score early and then qatar come out to attack).. heck,.. it is football and if qatar get lucky there is a slim chance they might win it (very slim though, i highly doubt that will happen). but i assure you that qatar will not play as good as Iran did against japan until those 2 weird goals that immediately ended the game (you cant expect any team on earth to come back from 2 goals against a team who is at least as good as them). fact is, until the VAR penalty goal, Iran and japan was a very even match, with Iran being slightly the more dangerous team. that is why Iran>qatar in this tournament. if qatar actually go to attack japan like Iran did, they will get ripped into shreds if japan scores an early goal, yet japan needed a gift goal otherwise it was unlikely that they would score on Iran.

the top teams (of the ones who made it to knockout) of the tournament performance and quality wise:

1. japan/Iran (i guess japan gets the microscopic edge simply for being more mentally resilient in the end)
    3. qatar (universe united)
    --
    4. south korea/australia/saudi arabia/iraq
    8. vietnam/uzbekistan
    10. kyrgyzstan
    11. UAE
    12. china
    13. oman
    14. jordan
    15. thailand
    16. bahrain

12. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    I guess we’ll find out in the final
    Btw If Qatar win the Asian Cup they’ll win every possible award available.

13. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    #63 persianfootball, Jan 29, 2019
    qatar will not do shit at copa america. they can only hope to keep the results respectable. qatar is not the top 2 best sides of this tournament. they are the top 3. we will see how they play against japan compared to how Iran played against japan. Iran slightly outplayed japan until the incorrect penalty killed the game. can qatar do that? we will see.

14. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    #64 persianfootball, Jan 29, 2019
    do you have any specific examples to back up your claim that such penalties are given out "week in week out" in europe? choose a top european league and show that this penalty was given 2 specific times in that league this season. if you cant, that means you randomly made that up. it makes no sense for you to claim this, because if this was the case, teams would simply formulate their tactics in a way that they would simply target shooting the ball at defenders hands instead of the goal. that way they could score at least one free penalty per game.

go to page 34 of this document, which is the official "laws of the game" booklet from FIFA:

https://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2011_12_en.pdf

for handball in the box it has to meet this criteria for a penalty:

"handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own
    penalty area)"

now you tell me how ball to hand as opposed to hand to ball, when the player has nowhere else to put his hand, constitutes as "deliberately" handling the ball?

also, weekly league games are different than a knockout semifinal match in a once every 4 year national team tournament.

also consider this article:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/rules_and_equipment/4524354.stm

it mentions if the ball is hit at speed, then the defender has no time to move his hands. that is exactly what happened with the Iran japan penalty. japan sent a very strong/fast low cross inside the ball and Iranian defender did slide tackle before the japanese player released the ball. the position of Iranian defenders hand was normal considering that when you do a slide tackle you have to keep your hand near the ground to break up the momentum of your slide.

i could understand if ref saw the hand ball and whistled.. but that is whole point of VAR.. to better analyze the situation in slow motion replay.. but in this case the ref was wrong to give the penalty after seeing the events in slow motion... he should have overturned his initial decision. the problem is that most referees are pricks who dont want to go against their won decision. how many times has VAR resulted in a referee REVERSING his decision to INITIALLY give a spot kick? if i recall correctly, the ref only went to VAR due to pressure. he initially just immediately pointed to the spot for japan. that is wrong. there is no way he could have known without VAR that it was an automatic penalty.. he should have stopped play and instead of immediately pointing to the spot, gone to VAR first to check if he should give a penalty or not.

15. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    All the investments in football paid off for Qatar. This all started in 2014 with their youth team winning the U20 Asian Cup, followed by their good run in the U23 Championships.

I certainly didn't expect them to do so well. They used to be a team that choked when it mattered. If we look at their results, last Asian Cup they ended bottom of the group with 3 losses, and only 1,5 years ago they ended up bottom of their WCQ group.

Mussab86 repped this.
  16. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Well they certainly didn't have an easy route. They got KSA, Iraq and South Korea. Iran had it much easier with the likes of Oman and China.

I understand what you're trying to say, but we have to give credits to this Qatar team. They are much better than they used to be.

17. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    yes this qatar team deserved to be a top 3 team in this tournament which means they improved a lot. i guess buying foreign players has finally paid off for them. not contesting that.

but the people who say "japan and qatar are indisputably the top 2 teams of the tournament" are amateurs who know nothing about football. had japan not been gifted by Iran+ref, and instead got edged out 1-0 by Iran, which was a very realistic possibility, these SAME people would be saying "japan is shit... they barely won their group stages.. now in their first real test they lost to the first top team they played" they are the same type of people who think a scoreline defines a match. they are the type of people you see under youtube comments who said "wow japan smashed Iran" lmao. absolutely 0 football knowledge. scoreline does not necessary reflect the game.

18. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The Qatar team is legit this time. They’re not the usual Qatar side that felt more like a club team than a national team, they actually play with their hearts, seem like a very motivated group of players, and closely resemble the Saudi team in early 90’s and maybe even better overall.

Mussab86 repped this.
  19. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    #69 persianfootball, Jan 29, 2019
    7:23

why does the ref wait 3 seconds after the hand ball, looks and sees that the ball is going to Iranian player, and THEN blows the whistle. if japanese player got the ball he wouldnt have whistled. he did that to give "advantage?" but correct me if i am wrong but you dont give "advantage" for penalty calls???? it is either a penalty or not a penalty. what the heck? because how can you possibly give a better chance to score than a penalty? even if the ball went to japanese player, they would have less of a chance to score, it was not an open net. so it makes no sense to give "advantage" to japan by not calling the penalty. so why did the ref wait to whistle until after he saw that the ball rolled to an Iranian player after the so called hand ball offense? makes no sense.

20. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    still overrated/untested though. i simply dont think it is fair to call them "undisputed better than Iran" when they have yet to be tested against Iran or japan.

they have good defense. they also have a good efficient attack that can expose defensive flaws very well. so far all the opponents they played, played to qatars advantage, except iraq. their most difficult game was against iraq who did not play to these advantages, which they scraped by against. iraq was the only team that did not commit defensive blunders against them, and consequently they scraped by. they played as good against iraq as Iran did. yes they beat them but that is because they had incentive to, Iran did not have incentive to go all out for the win against iraq. so at best qatar and Iran can be said to have been equal this cup. i personally think Iran did better than japan than qatar will though, which is why i think Iran is stronger than qatar, even if slightly. but we will see.

21. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Dude who CARES what teams were the “best sides”, all that matters now is the trophy. Was Portugal the best side at 2016 Euro? If Qatar even gets a lucky win against Japan, then they’re the champions and objectively “the best side” here. It is what it is, and that’s how tournaments work.

22. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Well said [emoji1360]

23. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    thats why forums exist.. to discuss. results are obviously important but not everything. all true football fans shat on portugals 2016 trophy and didnt give them too much credit for it. heck, even the unbiased portuguese fans admitted that they didnt deserve it. thats what i would do as Iran fan as well. if we played UAE in semifinals and then qatar in final while hypothetically japan got knocked out by a var goal despite hypothetically dominating qatar, i would not be saying "we are better than japan" because that is not how it works.

24. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    #74 vancity eagle, Jan 29, 2019
    you are making a total mockery of yourself through your bitterness. Why was the "real final" between Japan and Iran. A "real final" that ended in a 3-0 thrashing. Do you wanna bet that Japan v Qatar will be a closer scoreline ?

How was Iran one of the 2 best teams ? Based on what ? Thrashing the worst team in the tournament (Yemen) ? Or was it the fact that they couldn't beat Iraq ? They beat up on China, but China is a garbage team, and they were piss poor all tournament.

You say that Qatar was good at "pouncing on weaker teams" but you are describing exactly to a tee what Iran was. You couldn't beat Iraq and you got clobbered by Japan (a team that struggled all tournament long, until they met you)

Sorry but you are so biased and delusional it is funny. Qatar was far better than Iran this tournament. They beat the Saudis 2-0, they beat Iraq (something you couldn't do even with a revenge motivation factor) they beat South Korea, and they thrashed the home nation 4-0.

They are yet to concede a single goal, despite playing S. Korea, S. Arabia, Iraq, and UAE at home. They are scoring at will, against decent Asian sides.

Only a delusional partisan would claim the nonsense that you are claiming.

The 2 best teams are in the final. PERIOD. Please stop making an embarassment of yourself. Pride is a terrible thing.

25. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006

I am not saying they will or will not. But I know one thing, CURRENTLY they are better than Iran. Without a shadow of a doubt.