2019 Asian Cup - Knockout Rounds II[R]

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by el-capitano, Jan 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Qatar v UAE to go.

If I see any more Iran v Iraq shit, I'm going to start handing out cards.

Can't get any clearer than that.

kennytt, Valkyrie and almango repped this.
  3. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Well played to Japan. I must confess that I had totally written them off based on their lackluster performances prior to the match.

However, in this match they showed superb composure, and mental fortitude. Unlike Iran that had a total mental collapse after conceding a goal due to amateur hour defending via rushing the ref instead of watching the fking ball that was still in play.

And once again the CQ clown bandwagons have shown their true colours by blaming the ref - the score line is 3:0 dimwits - instead of CQ's ineptitude. This is how you get exposed by a quasi decent side when you don't defend with 11 behind the ball when all you've been doing for the past 8 years is parking that very expensive bus.

A competent coach would have invited our best defender and experienced Captain who had the best year of his career with Persepolis back in TM. We wouldn't have conceited a goal. A competent coach would have reinvite Gucci, the most clutch TM striker into the roster so that when we're down a goal, we'd have more options.
    Etc.

Once again I like to thank Japan for exposing the naked King for all to see. Wish you the best of luck against either uae or qatar.

Zbagint and Mussab86 repped this.
  4. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yeah that first goal Iran conceded was very amateruish, I've been taught since under 10's to play the whistle (that was before 'advantage' was regularly used).

The second goal, as much as I don't like them being called handballs they are given weekly throughout Europe. The reason being that they are deemed to be denying a goal scoring opportunity. Personally I don't think they are handballs, but as I said week in week out they are given throughout European leagues, so this would suggest that referees have been instructed that it is handball.

Japan really seem to be the masters of getting the job done this tournament. They are missing two goal scorers who have scored 20 more international goals than the Asian Cup squad combined (Okazaki & Kagawa) and if you add the recently retired Honda those three have scored almost triple the number of goals that the whole Asian Cup squad has. That is 3 big outs (not to mention a few other outs as they've used this tournament to blood some yongsters) and still to make the final is a testament to the Japanese depth.

5. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    The penalty decision was correct in my opinion, purely because of the fact that, at the start of the second half, Sakai had been booked for a handball while he was merely trying to protect his face. If Dejagah had scored from that freekick, the Japanese fans would now be crying foul. We talk about the need for consistency by referees, so there you go.

6. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Qatar v UAE.. what are your expectations? Qatar being the more impressive team while UAE is the host and got lucky in this tournament a couple of times. Qatar however without Bassam Al Rawi and Abdulaziz Hatem.

7. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    #7 AKITOD, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    “That moment created an emotional breakdown in my team and after that there was only one team on the pitch and that was Japan,” said Queiroz during the news conference after the game. “Just to say the best team won, the best team deserve to be in the final and congratulations to Japan,” - Carlos Queiroz

You play to the whistle, end of story.
    Seriously guys that's the stuff you tell your U11 school boys team. In fact I think I might've done that once aged 10 and even at that level that was considered retarded (I was not a good football player hahahaha)

I'd argue the mental breakdown began at the 1st goal not after. Mental strength is what lost Iran the match more than anything else.

Now to UAE vs. Qatar. Will be a very interesting game.
    I think UAE will somehow pull something off. No denying UAE played extremely well and disciplined against Australia even though the Australian team lack killer instinct. It'll be a Zaccheroni - Japan reunion final.

8. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Japan are what you call the ultimate "tournament team". They simply know how to win tournaments, how to pace themselves.... I remember people used to talk of Germany being this way, back in the late 80s, early 90s. But Japan are like this.... everyone wrote them off due to their narrow wins over Turkmenistan and Oman, but that's how they do it, just do enough to win, don't show too much or peak too soon, wait until it really matters, and then show that little extra. And Japan face adversity too, I remember in 2011, Japan got a red card vs Syia but still came out victoriuous (was at the game), against Qatar in the quarterfinals, down a man and a goal, and they still pulled off the win. This is what makes Japan so hard to beat, they keep their cool when it really matters and always pull out the win in the end.

Anyhoo, looking forward to today's game. They are really pumped here in Doha about it.. even my female students want to cancel class to watch the game lol... I just wonder what the crowd will be like for this one, will they boo the Qatar anthem, we'll see? They are reporting this in the Qatar papers... seems like the sort of thing they would do in these parts to be honest....

https://www.qatarliving.com/forum/n...tickets-asian-cup-semifinals-stop-qatari-fans

9. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Hopefully Japan vs Qatar finale
    I want to see good football.
    UAE reached this far by luck.
    Good luck Qatar today against UAE

10. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Qatar vs Japan final is the organizers nightmare. Iran vs UAE and Qatar vs Japan is the difference between the final being watched in front of 40,000 or 4,000 people...

11. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Good less money to UAE’s pocket. [emoji38]

12. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Btw im gonna say this and if you want to delete it then its fine by me.

Why Im gonna support Qatar against UAE ?
    Qatar is playing in UAE they are playing against all odds. Nothing in their favor. Even if they are corrupted as some of you say but now they are the victims. If you dont know Qatar have diplomatic crisis with Saudi Arabia and their puppet UAE. They arent allowed to leave the hotel except for Stadium and training field. UAE fans are disturbing Qatari players by making noise in front of their hotel on daily basis. Qatari fans arent allowed to enter UAE so Qatar without any fans. Qatari officials aren’t allowed to enter UAE so they dont have anyone to stand by them. If someone would “bribe” a ref in Qatar vs UAE match then its an obvious answer for you who it would be. These are few things to mention among others.

And you have this IMG_6840.jpg

Sure Aljazeera is the worst source in human’s history but you cant deny the fact that UAE are capable to do it.

13. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I hope UAE win, not a fan of Qatar's recruitment program to Africa/South America and the middle-east. It's ********ing ridiculous at this point.

Also I have a soft spot for Zaccheroni even if Japan sort of f**ked up in the 2014 world cup under his leadership.

Suren01 repped this.
  14. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Apparently Almoez Ali and Bassam Al-Rawi are ineligible to play for Qatar. It's ridiculous that they get away with it without sanctioning or whatsoever.

Hopefully UAE wins it today.

15. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    They are legit. Bassam was playing for Al-Rayan when he was a kid then joined Aspire academy. Same thing for Al-Moez, heas found by Mesamier club then joined Aspire Academy. They talked about it on Al-Majles on Alkass channel. They arent afraid of telling it because they aren’t doing anything wrong. And about what the Iraqi lawyer said it was bs. He later changed his mind and said Bassam is legit player to play for Qatar. Check Iraq pro players page on facebook.

16. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Legitimate by the letter of law or not, scouting players around the world from other nations and bringing to your national academy at a young age to groom into a NT player isn't in the spirit of national team football for me.

Suren01 and Mussab86 repped this.
  17. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    LOL @ Ismaiel Hammadi’s dive

18. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qat vs UAE: looks like an even game so far: both side has chances...it's gonna be a long game...lol

19. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Goaaaal 1-0 Qatar

20. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow...a moment of slip up by UAE keeper leads to a very soft goal...Qatar 1-0 now

Mussab86 repped this.
  21. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    ......that's a head in hands moment if you a UAE fan.

That's the real life equivalent of a playstation FIFA of "Press square and hope for the best"

Mussab86 repped this.
  22. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boualem 16 is the scorer....Game should speed up now

Mussab86 repped this.
  23. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing against the home team is always hard. If Qatar beats UAE, Qatar is the real dark horse of the tournament. Qatar is ready for 2022 WC at home...

Mussab86 repped this.
  24. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
  25. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Japan vs. Qatar it is. Nice goal for 2-0.