2019 Annual NCAA/MLS Crapshoot

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Jiggly_333, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Combine Update. None of this will probably have anything to do with the Fire, although we've made stupid moves in the draft due to the combine before. Like drafting Daniel Johnson and then playing him constantly out of position.

https://mlsmultiplex.com/2019/01/07/mls-combine-day-one/

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trade all picks for GAM/TAM/SHAM/WHATEVER.

Downloaf and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  3. der sting

der sting Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have a feeling we will all be scratching our heads saying what the hell is Nelson thinking come Friday as per usual.
    The team will not be improved and we will say goodbye to a few of the current 18 man roster in exchange for his usual magic beans. All while the draft is in our own back yard, further lowering our already subterranean profile.

xtomx and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  4. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Kappolhof is going to be traded to Cincinnati, so I guess we'll be getting some TAM/GAM coming our way.

5. Mattyb1760

Mattyb1760 Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Why not pick the Keeper out of Maryland?

6. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Maybe we can just trade them the whole team and I'll get to see our guys on TV.

7. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    He's okay. Had a bad day on the first day of the Combine, but he's been making up for it today and apparently did well on the short sided matches. The big thing is that he wasn't actually that good on Maryland, he was just fine. I'd be okay with us taking him at #5, but I'd be worried at how Pauno would approach his development given his history.

Mattyb1760 repped this.
  8. Mattyb1760

Mattyb1760 Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I feel like he's good enough to start from day one, so his development under the current coach doesn't scare me. I think he's the best keeper in a few years coming out of the draft and an automatic upgrade over the current options.

9. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I mean, we need a day one starter right now. We currently have two backups/prospects battling for the starting spot at the moment so either we're drafting him with the intention to start him or not drafting him at all.

10. Downloaf

Downloaf Member

Aug 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I've re-read this a dozen times and still don't understand it, but you might be spot on. Either the Fire traded their 2nd, 3rd, & 4th picks for $150k in GAM, or just the 2nd?

"Transaction: FC Cincinnati acquired the Philadelphia Union’s natural first-round selection (No. 13 overall), second-round selection via Chicago (No. 29), natural second-round selection (No. 37 overall), natural third-round selection (No. 61 overall) and natural-fourth round selection (No. 85 overall) in the 2019 MLS SuperDraft in exchange for in $150,000 in General Allocation Money."

ceezmad repped this.
  11. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Union’s move is brilliant.

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just going to post this.

Downloaf and xtomx repped this.
  13. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The Union pulled off an amazing power move and I love it.

I may love covering the MLS Draft, but I also know that a big issue in player development in America is the over-reliance on college soccer.

lethargytartare, GHjelm, bunge and 2 others repped this.
  14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Not sure that realizing the draft is a crap shoot and cashing in on the picks is "amazing," but it was shrewd.

15. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The fact that they acted on it is amazing.

16. der sting

der sting Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I feel if the Kap to Cincy rumor is true, we may see 2-3 of those picks head our way so Nelson can stock our partner clubs as he mentioned the other day

17. lurak

lurak Member+

Aug 24, 2007
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    One lesson learned from the Union example is that they value their academy and will sign those players as Homegrown instead of the draft. In leaner years, they will probably keep a pick or two, if needed.

The Fire has been screwing its academy players for years and the best they can do is get some funny money for their rights. The Fire will probably end up with multiple players taken from the draft on the roster.

I really hate vulture capitalists as all they know is asset stripping to line their own pockets.

18. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    we may need them all just to fill out our senior roster at the current rate.

19. Downloaf

Downloaf Member

Aug 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The Union's sporting director didn't hold back when explaining his decision.

"...we are in a stable situation where we have a good setup and a good infrastructure, and a second team and an academy behind us, which is extraordinarily good."

And with one of the top academies in MLS, Tanner believes there’s better prospects within the club than in college.

“The level of MLS has increased a lot and I think the level in the university has been more or less the same. There is quite a big gap,” Tanner said. “Out of what I’ve seen last year when I’d see the draft picks, there are a lot of players who are quite OK for the USL level. But it doesn’t necessarily make us better on the MLS level.”

20. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Even the top college players aren't much more than UPSL/NPSL/PDL players at the stage they enter the league.

moleman repped this.
  21. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
    No big surprise. This is what competing in a global market entails. Unlike football or basketball where the draft is the clear cut pipeline to the professional leagues, soccer you’re having these college graduates at 21/22 years old trying to play catch-up with players who have been professionals since 17/18 years old. The learning curve is steep and being at a 3-5 year disadvantage to your peers means that most of these college players won’t amount to much at the highest professional level. That’s not to say there aren’t exceptions (e.g. Morris, Shipp, etc.), but they are increasingly less likely to materialize as the league improves in quality.

Good thing we’re relying on this obsolete talent identification mechanism to stock our team.

hauptman out, nelson out, pawno out

goldclover, loonixxx and Downloaf repped this.
  22. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Get ready to "Shake up the f*cking soccer world, boys!"
    -2019 edition.

skinut repped this.
  23. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, Frankie Amaya and his 14 college games played is off the table, having been selected by FC Cincinnati.
    Enjoy the crappy chili, Frankie.

24. der sting

der sting Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Of course they trade...

Joe in CO and xtomx repped this.
  25. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    You mean that sweetburger farina they put on vienna sausages and call chili-dogs?

Probably the #1 cause of strife in my marriage to a native Cincinatian.

xtomx repped this.