2019 AFC Asian Cup

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Suren01, Mar 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dejagah93

Dejagah93 Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I miss the old tournament format :(
    Can't really get excited when even the 3rd place team can qualify for the next round.

KiarashM and Yas-The-Gunner repped this.
  2. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every tournament is being messed up. Euro, African Cup, Asian Cup, World Cup

Suren01 and Dejagah93 repped this.
  3. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Dont get the move to 24 at all, asia is not at a point where we have depth at the bottom two tiers to fill 24. Guess tv viewer money is more important to them than quality.

The only good thing is we can just skip the group and watch from the knockouts, hoping for a few Cinderella stories.

4. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I want pan-pacific confederation, Japan,Korea,China,Australia,United Stats, Mexico, Newzeland, Asean and central america countries

5. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    ...that sounds very similar to the new copa america!

AKITOD and jagum repped this.
  6. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    What do people think about the new Asian Cup trophy? Personally I really don't like it. The old one was iconic and beautiful trophy, it did not need a change.

Suren01 repped this.
  7. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Like the move to 24 teams, get to see some new teams not the same old boring ones. Then Australia goes and gets a dull and difficult (for the Socceroos to break down) group.

andregunts repped this.
  8. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone have any idea when tickets go on sale? Might try and make the final..

9. qatarigunner

qatarigunner Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Now that we got invited to a very prestigious tournament like the Copa America in 2019, the Asian Cup is nothing but a burden to us. :) Qatar should send their B team to this pointless tournament.

10. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The afc facebook page posted the match schedule.

I am a bit surprised they will not have double headers for this tournament, i cant imagine the majority of these countries with traveling fans, there are some migrant workers from Philippines and India but the vast majority of group games will likely be vast empty seats.

Second thing im a bit surprised is they will not try double matches on the same day in Dubai and Abu Dhabi (other than the two game 3 match days). This was a selling point for Qatar 2022 and I figured UAE may try the same if you have three matches you can arrange the first and third to be in the same city at different venues.

Attached Files:

11. BUDOKAN

BUDOKAN Member

May 31, 2006
    Tokyo
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I am surprised the final scheduled on FRIDAY.
    Australia15 on Saturday, 31 Jan.
    Qatar11 on Saturday, 29 Jan.
    ASEAN07 on Sunday, 29 Jul.
    China04 on Satuday, 7 Aug.
    Lebanon00 on Sunday, 29 Oct.
    UAE96 on Saturday, 21 Dec.
    Japan92 on Sunday, 8 Nov.
    Qatar88 on Sunday, 18 Dec.
    Singapore84 on Sunday, 16 Dec.
    Kuwait80 on TUESDAY, 30 Sep.

12. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I was told by some middle east residents that Friday and Saturday are their weekend and Friday is usually the day everyone is off. If that is correct and is part of the Middle East soccer culture then I get it.

13. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Tickets are on sale now

14. BUDOKAN

BUDOKAN Member

May 31, 2006
    Tokyo
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I have ever visited some middle east countries and know that Friday is a special day for Muslims.
    But as I wrote, past middle eastern host countries include UAE have never done on Friday. So I am surprised and wondering other reasons.:rolleyes:

15. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Not sure of the reasons why its a friday but I don't mind it It gives players involved a bit of extra time for a celebration before they need to return to their clubs.

16. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    yea it is odd, one team will only have two full rest days to recover before playing the final so its def not for sporting reasons!

Then again this is the confederation that refuse to mix up the group seeding so we can have better matches the first two match days and saved every group's first vs second seed match for match day three.

17. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Guys can anyone of you clarify this for me?
    "Teams are allowed to replace their players from the final list of 23 up to 6 hours before their first match but can only do so from the 50 players registered in the preliminary list.''

http://www.the-afc.com/asiancup/news/complete-guide-to-official-uae-2019-squads

So this means a squad can change after the final list has been announced without injuries??

18. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Does anyone have any idea who is broadcasting the Asian Cup in the U.S.? Please tell me it's going to be shown somewhere.

19. Persepolis#8

Persepolis#8 Member

Manchester United/Persepolis
    Dec 19, 2018
    One World Sports had the rights but I can't find it on any subscription and it looks likes they sold it to Eleven Sports(who I can't find either).

Terrible job of publicity this edition.

20. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Hi everyone- I'm helping mod this tournament, can you please keep it civil & on point. I understand the long standing rivalries can flare up, but instead of responding in the like, just report the post and let us mods handle it.

Hopefully we'll have a great cup with a deserved winner.

21. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  22. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    I agree this should be the most popular edition of the Asian Cup and it is being mishandled. I've heard BeIN Sports will be televising all the games, which would be great since I have Fubo TV, but haven't seen any confirmation on that.

23. Persepolis#8

Persepolis#8 Member

Manchester United/Persepolis
    Dec 19, 2018
    BeInSports yes. I have the subscription but I'm not sure if their US tv package shows it rather I might get geoblocked. Then its onto the vpns ;)

24. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know but in Qatar, I have Beins extensive package and we are having to buy the Asian Cup as an extra, just like the World Cup... meh!

25. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Now I see that Eleven Sports Network is supposed to show the Asian Cup in the U.S., but when I look at their TV lineup it doesn't have any games listed. This is mind-boggling.