[2019 AFC Asian Cup: Round of 16] Korea vs Bahrain 2019/01/22 [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Seol Korea, Jan 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    Was KYG fault that kept the dude onside.

2. iunlock

iunlock Member

Team Sonny
    Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Haha yea I saw that too. The pre kimchi squat.

3. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Yes it's the whole defense fault but I'm talking about KMJ specifically because he can't be making these kind of mistakes. Watford is watching.

4. victoriabrono

victoriabrono Red Card

Nov 30, 2018
    Already playing like a china based player

5. 10August2012

10August2012 Member+

Oct 28, 2012
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Sunnanå SK Skellefteå
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I miss Kim Jung Woo. Wish we had someone like him in midfield instead of JWY. Could also put him up top and he'd bang in a few. Very under-appreciated player imo.

chook90 repped this.
  6. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    He didn't make any mistake, the dude was offside if not for KYG.

He could have intercepted the pass, but was a difficult one. 9 times out of 10 you would fail to do so.

7. fightingchuyoung

Jul 23, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Are you some kind of troll? Wtf

8. 10August2012

10August2012 Member+

Oct 28, 2012
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Sunnanå SK Skellefteå
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Also, wasn't there an uncalled handball against Bahrain? When the guy was on the ground and blocked the ball's path with his arm...

Seol Korea and Hyok repped this.
  9. 10August2012

10August2012 Member+

Oct 28, 2012
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Sunnanå SK Skellefteå
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Are you? Name a better CDM on our squad right now.

10. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Kim Jung Woo was huge for us in WC 2010 and was very versatile. Don't get the hate for him.

11. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He's talking about the prime Kim Jung-woo(2010 FIFA World Cup), and he was a key member in providing stability in our midfield.

12. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    id put kim jungwoos world cup performance over just about every korean midfielder out there. neither yoo sangchul or ki sungyong got anything on his 2010 world cup display. that being said that was his lone peak. he was at best barely a positive contributor during other major tournaments and qualifiers

jinseokyang and soccerboy37 repped this.
  13. fightingchuyoung

Jul 23, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fair enough. From what I recall, he was practically invisible for other tournaments but yes, his world cup performance was solid.

14. 10August2012

10August2012 Member+

Oct 28, 2012
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Sunnanå SK Skellefteå
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Quick translation of Bento's post match interview. Some good stuff here regarding Bento's ideology.

https://sports.v.daum.net/v/20190123012927192

-What did you discuss with the team after the 1st half?
    The opponents continued to hit long balls from goal kicks. I emphasised the importance of second balls (rebounds/bounces). Pressuring the opponents was difficult because they did not play short passes. I alerted the players about transitioning back to defense after keeping possession for long stints. We wanted to play as long/far out as we can in front of goal (????), however that didn't work out well. Maintaining balance is important after gaining the lead. Keeping the score is important, however additional goals are also crucial. We could not contain them today, however.

-It's your first time experiencing grass rolling.
    I can only control my own players. I tell my players to quickly get back up in such situations. The fans come to watch football. I expect my players to win whilst entertaining the fans. It's hard to make comments on opponents who grass roll. It's difficult to say that it's the opponent's responsibility to restrict that sort of behaviour.

-The team's tempo was underwhelming.
    Our team's form today was worse than the last match. Simple mistakes were more of a problem than the tempo. There were many mistakes in build-up and passing. We made it difficult for ourselves and easier for the opponents because we made mistakes whilst the opponents didn't. We must build-up and attack more efficiently.

-The players seemed heavy-footed.
    That is true. There is no other way to explain this. The players can't always share the same level of condition. Different factors contribute to differing player conditions. SHM already played many matches before joining the team. Afterwards, LJS got hurt, and NSH was injured before the tourney, which generated some trouble for the attack. Our attackers are becoming fatigued. We must find a resolution before our next match on the 25th. There are no excuses. We must prepare well for the next match.

15. Tazza

Tazza Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Sorry, you must be out of your mind.

Yoo Sang Chul got offered a trial at Barcelona because of his play in 1998. 2002 performance was arguably better. I'd take the 2002 YSC - KNI pairing over any other Korean midfield pairing we've had.

Ki in 2010 was crucial with 2 assists.

Funny how time makes everything seem like roses. I remember a bunch of people complaining about Kim Jung Woo while he played. Not saying he was a bad player, but he wasn't some perfect answer at DM. Think he also made quite a few mistakes against Nigeria iirc

16. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It was right after Ju Se-jong's shot hit the post, yet Ryuji Sato let it go just as he did with the offside.

17. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    his assists were from deadball situations. ki sungyong was shit awful in 2010. he was lucky that kim jungwoo and park jisung were there to clean up after his mess

18. 10August2012

10August2012 Member+

Oct 28, 2012
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Sunnanå SK Skellefteå
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Very different attitude from "We DoN'T hAvE a StRiKEr LiKe SOriA" and "tHaT WaS a tRiCK"

inten and nmssis repped this.
  19. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I'm sorry but any version of Yoo Sang-chul > prime/2010 FIFA World Cup version of Kim Jung-woo.

20. Tazza

Tazza Member

Nov 2, 2010
    His free kicks for those assists were very well placed. I seriously don't see how you can say Ki was shit awful in 2010, even with his FKs aside.

And to say Kim Jung Woo 2010 was better than Yoo Sang Chul 1998 or 2002 is pure blasphemy.

21. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    To @batumchange2 defense, Ki was pretty poor since he was going through a slump, and it was Kim Jung-woo mainly covering and holding our midfield together, not to mention Kim Jung-woo committed less fouls than any of the players in our team, and made the most successful passes as well. There was a stat chart someone posted during that time.

22. 10August2012

10August2012 Member+

Oct 28, 2012
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Sunnanå SK Skellefteå
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Also, it frustrated the hell out of me how there seemed to be an invisible line or something in the final third that LY couldn't cross. Like, instead of running in behind the defense, which was wide open, in order to deliver a cut back, he'd just stop at a certain point, wait for the ball, try some stupid ass step over and send a rocket ddong cross to HC.

At the same time, I really appreciate KJS' movement drifting inside which allowed him to score today and created chances in the China match.

23. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I honestly thought Ki was just inexperienced and shaky in WC 2010.

But it's not even close. Yoo Sang Chul 2002 >>>> Kim Jung Woo 2010

24. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You are missing Ki. He was a beast in his prime. Players like Ki and Nekonam are my favorites beside PJS and Ali Karimi.

25. Tazza

Tazza Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Yeah like I said in my previous post KJW wasnt a bad player and had a good run from 08-10. My main issue is that he wasn't great defensively. I mean having your DM commit the least amount of fouls on the team? Not something I really want. And ki wasn't the deep midfielder he is now, he played more advanced back then so don't think it was as much his responsibitly to defend as KJW.

Guess everyone has different tastes but id still take ki in 2010, not really an argument worth having thoufh