[2019 AFC Asian Cup: Quarter-finals] Korea vs Qatar 2019/01/25 [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Seol Korea, Jan 24, 2019.

1. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Not block, but the defenders should not be giving them cares of space to shoot from.

2. Gaemamusa

Gaemamusa Red Card

Jan 7, 2019
    Bento isn't going nowhere. But his selections and tactics leading up to the Asian Cup were pure garbage. Why play LY and JWY, when you have KMH and JSJ on your bench? Why start KSG when CHW is the superior shot blocker?

3. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We cant just blame Bento. The players dont meet up.

4. Gaemamusa

Gaemamusa Red Card

Jan 7, 2019
    No we're not, especially when our youth is coming up. China has nothing going in their youth system but bunch of talentless 35 year olds and most of them will retire after this tournament. Vietnam is still at the infantile stage but will improve.

5. fightingchuyoung

Jul 23, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    and he was crying because he didn't have his exemption lmao. I'd cry as well but now that he has his exemption, there is nothing to cry about.

6. doraemon

doraemon Member+

Jan 9, 2010
    My point wasn't so much about selections as it was about how he set up the team in terms of positions and roles - who plays what, where and how. The biggest problem that I don't think you addressed was how Bento refused to play two up top. That was the most basic and textbook solution to the team's offensive problems this tourney, but Bento never even gave it a shot even though it was clear to see that HUJ had way too much on his plate. In my opinion, that's not a sign of a tactically sharp manager.

The problem is that we've never been a decent possession side, ever. Not even in Asia. Thinking that it would somehow work this time was wishful thinking. It was also immediately apparent that HIB couldn't fill KSY's void due to his lack of passing accuracy. LCY is nowhere the dribbler he used to be and wasn't quite effective in breaking defenses down either. JWY was shit all tournament. There was no one in the midfield who could reliably handle and distribute the ball at all times.

Playing a 4-4-2 doesn't mean you have to counterattack all the time. You're mostly just giving up some of your midfield dominance to play another forward. This would've made more sense as offense was our problem, not defense.

Now I need to grill you on this one as I honestly think this is absurd. If they don't fit for your team, they are NOT GOOD INSTRUCTIONS. Come on now.

toohyper and TaegukRedDevil repped this.
  7. Gaemamusa

Gaemamusa Red Card

Jan 7, 2019
    I blamed Bento for his selections, tactics and substitutions since the group stages. I don't rate him at all as a manager. His stubbornness will kill us in the long run.

jessypjs, seolseol and TaegukRedDevil repped this.
  8. DHMGKorea

DHMGKorea Member

Chelsea
    South Korea
    Oct 11, 2016
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I also don't think we need to fire Bento, give him some time. This AC was honestly a transition period. Bento was in charge for 4 months. He doesn't know enough about our players and the hidden gems we have. So he played it safe by just going with the players that have been utilized recently since that's what he knew of and KFA probably suggested them. IF he doesn't improve after some time, then yes fire him then. But let's look on the bright side, this loss sparked a lot of anger in Korea with the team and performance, veteran players like KJC retired, KSY most likely have as well. LCY said he's thinking about retiring possibly too. Maybe Humiliation was exactly what we needed for some change to come in both how things are done and even in players' mentality too.

Now that there is no major tournament for some time, Bento can start calling up youngsters and start building his own team. If things are still the same then, fire him, but right now I think he deserves to try to build his own team from scratch first before we fully judge him.

And more than Bento, Chung Mong Gyu is who needs to go.. we need a fresh start in KFA.

9. doraemon

doraemon Member+

Jan 9, 2010
    There is no chance that Bento gets sacked unless he racks up losses in the WCQs.

I'm just sorely disappointed that we've struck out yet again in terms of finding the right manager, in the way that CQ is the perfect manager for Iran.

We're stuck with Bento for the next few years and it's not going to be what we all hoped for. There's a reason why seemingly every single Portuguese fan warned us about him.

I honestly really wish to be proven wrong.

10. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    I think we need to stick with a 4-5-1 variant and we need to stick with possession based football in Asia considering our opponents will give us the possession anyways. We just don't have the strikers to play 4-4-2 when that is our weakest position. As well, we couldn't have changed our formation to 4-4-2 in the middle of the tournament when Bento never had time to try out different formations in the first place. When Ki got injured, we were going to be fcked no matter what.
    Instead going forward, instead of changing it to 4-4-2, we need to play the possession based football better especially we're going to be up against Asian teams majority of the time. We just need to find players that can elevate our plays better, are good with their feet, can break down defense. And when I mean better possession based football, I don't even mean our defenders passing the ball side by side, I mean defenders able to withstand pressure and making smart decisions/passing and our team making more risky plays that still get the ball moving.

Seol Korea, inten and Ice cube repped this.
  11. doraemon

doraemon Member+

Jan 9, 2010
    Bento already played a 4-4-2 before and the team looked pretty sharp. Every player grows up playing a 4-4-2 over and over again. It's the simplest formation by far and is essentially an idiot-proof formation for Korean players. Switching mid-tourney - mid game even - would have been a breeze.

HUJ and SHM could have easily played up top together. In fact it probably would have been better for SHM since it would've meant less defensive work for him than in the midfield.

iunlock repped this.
  12. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    STY showed that he can't coach. He gives decent tactical analysis. And he has a good feel for what should be done. But b/c he doesn't know how to coach, he simply cannot execute his ideas into action.

Remember, this is the man who used KSW and bunkered down against a predictable 4-4-2 Swedish side in the first match.

Gaemamusa, Seol Korea and killaorca repped this.
  13. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    So that’s on Jung WY because that shot came from way outside the box

14. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Which games?
    Also HUJ has been the worst player in this tournament, he has been wasting chances after chances (with HHC). SHM sadly just wasn't fit. I don't know how these two spearheading would have worked.

15. victoriabrono

victoriabrono Red Card

Nov 30, 2018
    I knew Bento was full of ddong when he omitted Suk from the squad. We needed a physical threat up front and a player who has experience playing in Europe. HUJ got exposed for who he is. He was never good enough at the grown mans international level.

Sons of Thunder, Hodori and chook90 repped this.
  16. TaegukRedDevil

Jan 30, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I personally believe that that was due to more his inexperience than his coaching ability. It was his first ever time coaching at a world cup, he might've learned his lesson and realize what he did wrong, which makes him better than before.

17. doraemon

doraemon Member+

Jan 9, 2010
    Bento was switching back and forth between a 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 from his first game against Costa Rica. The team has definitely already played a 4-4-2 before.

HUJ was heavily isolated as a lone forward against 5-man defenses, not surprising that he never got into rhythm. Son didn't seem fit and had too much work to do in midfield given his fitness levels. Placing the two together as strikers potentially fixes both problems: 1. Gives HUJ a partner who draws attention away from him and lightens his workload, 2. SHM has less of a defensive workload up top, focuses more on shooting, and commands attention from defenders with his presence.

Sons of Thunder and Hodori repped this.
  18. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Yeah but that was the first and one and only game. Bento has stuck a gun with possession based 4-5-1 football and the same core players since, and that's what he gambled with (similar to HMB sticking with 4-5-1 and the same players before the WC because that's what he was familiar with). We might disagree with that decisions but I don't think it was possible for him to change tactics in a knockout stage of the tournament. Just my opinion.

For HUJ, his main problem is that he is given so many chances in front of the goal yet his never get the ball inside the net. It doesn't matter if we draw attention away from him because even though he is put into a good position 95% of the time he'll just ******** shit up (I believe he had the highest expected goals in the team yet he scored 2 goals with one being from PK) . Not only that but he doesn't really offer anything as well. He's not a target man either....

19. wrecklesssoldier

Feb 20, 2005
    Your new avatar selections are always great lol

Kanuck and aeh1991 repped this.
  20. victoriabrono

victoriabrono Red Card

Nov 30, 2018
    Can Bento and his 20 coaches do some actual scouting and analysis instead of calling up players because they did well in a u23 mickey mouse tournament? Im talking about HUJ and all those other scrubs he called up while ignoring LSW. Just reeks of severe laziness

21. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Could it be he's building the core of the future NT around these players?

[​IMG]

22. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    The result is disappointing, but, like when we beat Germany, sometimes the weaker team wins. That's football.

23. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Well, those are two straight losses against Qatar. I can guarantee you that it will be a while before we beat Germany again.

chook90 repped this.
  24. yahtrickyah

yahtrickyah Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The bolded is the most unsettling. Everything the Portuguese fans were saying about Bento has pretty much been proven correct so far.

Kanuck and PacMan over again repped this.
  25. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    I don't want to defend HUJ and his terrible finishing in this tournament. However, just because he did well at the U23 and sucked in this one, it doesn't necessarily mean that he is a bad player. He was out of form, often isolated and had back luck, which probably influenced his mentality (could've scored more if he didn't hit the post). His record in the J-League last season was very good, so were his post-AG performances in the NT. So, to be called bad because of the Asian Cup is a little unfair imo. Was Ji better or would he have been, if given the same amount of time? Not sure about that.
    Fact is, it was a hugely dissappointing performance from HUJ, I totally agree. Also, Suk had to be nominated from the beginning (I'm speaking of before his injury) and be our no.1 striker. My point is that HUJ doesn't completely suck, or we have to see more of him to judge it fairly.
    There were way worse players like Lee Yong or Jung Woo Young.
    Even Son was a much bigger disappointment than HUJ to me. Just my opinion..