2019-2020 UEFA Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    Vinčić is thoroughly (finally!) deserved. Grinfeld is ready too, even if he didn't perform so well this season. Kovács benefitted from the powerful position of Kýros Vassáras, head of Romanian refereeing - Georgi Kabakov was actually (more) ready and missed out this time. Treimanis improved a lot since Alan Snoddy led Latvian refereeing; I don't see how Kovács is much ahead of him, to be honest. Buquet has deserved a promotion was ages, but politics has conspired again against him.

Vinčić might get CL KO, the rest rather not.

2. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    I remember watching Vassaras officiating UCL games back in the days. Did he move to Romania after his retirement?

3. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    Yeah, he was really old-school referee as I guess you remember. Performances like Real Madrid - Roma (2008) are impossible to imagine nowadays. I feel quite nostalgic for that era at the moment, to be honest.

He was head of refereeing in Greece but jacked it in when referees' got attacked and some other things happened. He did well to 'get out' as now the escalation means that foreign referees handle the big matches and generally it is a very toxic atmosphere there.

At least talking about a UEFA level, Vassáras has done an excellent job in Romania (Hațegan, Kovács, Feșnic, Petrescu). He is also (one of) the best lobbies in Nyon - his pushing can be seen as the thesis of Hațegan's career, Kovács' promotion to Elite etc. Not to say they aren't good referees, but, it helps to be someone's protégé for sure.

MassachusettsRef and balu repped this.
  4. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    This is true everywhere!

PH

5. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    I guess nobody is interested but very remarkable game for Mykola Balakin (UEFA 2nd Cat.; 1989 born) in his domestic competition. SC Dnipro - FK Oleksandriya had three penalties and two red cards all in the last stages! Clips are below:

=> 78' Penalty (handling) to Oleksandriya [0-1]; 2nd YC to Dnipro No. 71 (SPA)
    https://streamable.com/8lbww

=> 87' Interesting management clip - correct solution by the referee? Yellow Card (dissent) to Dnipro No.30
    https://streamable.com/t56p6

=> 89' Penalty (handling) to Dnipro [1-1]
    https://streamable.com/nyrfb

=> +91' Red Card (Serious Foul Play) to Dnipro No.29; management of dropped ball for the referee interfering with play
    https://streamable.com/vgtfl

=> +92' Penalty (tripping / charging) to Oleksandria [1-2]
    https://streamable.com/piyf8

Would be interested in your thoughts :)

refinDC and El Rayo Californiano repped this.
  6. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I genuinely think he got every decision highlighted here wrong.

The SFP is most defensible due to the elevated straight leg, but did it actually endanger the safety of the opponent? In the modern game, more often than not I think that’s yellow.

The first penalty seems obviously wrong.

The second penalty is a bit easier to sell (and you MUST give it after giving the first one), but I still think the arm is low and in the silhouette.

The third penalty seems a fair challenge with some extra physicality. But not enough to punish in a professional match. Also, how do you not sanction the dissent with a second yellow?

Even the dropped ball seems wrong. At the time the second ball enters the field, the real ball probably isn’t yet in the penalty area. Besides, the second ball was thrown before the real ball was kicked for a corner kick. Redoing the corner seems the easy answer that everyone would accept. Why make things difficult?

gaolin and El Rayo Californiano repped this.
  7. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    This is small potatoes, but it looks like the dropped ball in +91' was not properly put into play.

8. bothways

bothways Member

Jun 27, 2009
    on the taking of the third pk.since both teams encroached..shouldn't there have been a retake...he was being pedantic throughout the whole game..why stop now?

9. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Such is an example of a referee getting into his own head. All of that happened in a space of 15 minutes! Wow.

10. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    #735 Mikael_Referee, Dec 24, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    Thank you for your views!

Another crazy match from Ukraine, this time Dynamo Kyiv - Shakhtar Donetsk in the early rounds of the Ukrainian Cup (Ro16).

Referee is Viktor Kopiyevs'kyy (new FIFA for 2020; 1990 born).

=> 10’ Reckless vs. Serious Foul Play?
    Shakhtar No.6 shown a Yellow Card
    [Revenge foul? Referee issued a verbal warning for a foul at 9’]
    youtu.be/WZRN3Ht8HlI?t=1183

=> 89’ Reckless vs. Serious Play? (Unsporting Behaviour vs. Violent Conduct?)
    Dynamo No.8 shown a Red Card; Dynamo No.5 cautioned (dissent)
    youtu.be/WZRN3Ht8HlI?t=6042

=> 94’ Careless vs. Stopping a Promising Attack / Lack of Respect?
    Shakhtar No.6 shown a Second Yellow Card
    youtu.be/WZRN3Ht8HlI?t=6583

=> 119’ Unsporting Behaviour vs. Violent Conduct?
    Shakhtar No.7 shown a Yellow Card; Dynamo No.30 cautioned (LoR)
    (Card Procedure? Courage to take a brave and unpopular decision?)
    youtu.be/WZRN3Ht8HlI?t=8264

refinDC repped this.
  11. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    I am shocked nobody here reported it!

Viktor Kassai has retired as of this week.

One of the great referees of my lifetime; thank you Viktor!

IASocFan and gold4278 repped this.
  12. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Spanish Super Cup (played in Saudi Arabia)

Semifinals

Valencia - Real Madrid: GIL MANZANO
    Barcelona - Atletico Madrid: GONZALEZ GONZALEZ

13. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    He's still listed on the 2020 FIFA list for Hungary?

PH

14. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe not related to the matches, but have you seen this media put out by UEFA? Interesting...

socal lurker repped this.
  15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geiger was on the (published) list for all of 2019. This happens pretty regularly. He made a personal decision to retire at the nomination was submitted and confirmed. His name will probably appear on this list for the year because it’s unlikely FIFA’s web team cares enough to keep this dynamically updated.

16. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    But did this potentially keep another Hungarian referee from getting on the list?

PH

17. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Hungary only has six male referees on the list, so that is unlikely.

Pierre Head and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  18. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    But their quota from FIFA may only be 6? Not every country gets to list 10, n'est pas?

PH

19. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    So deeply disturbing that something like this would be seen as necessary.

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched this and was absolutely shocked that UEFA would sanction the use of an English flag in that video. Picking on one member association so explicitly is just not typical. Then I clicked through on YouTube and read this:

In other words, it's not a real ad at the moment. Whether the vendor pitched UEFA or UEFA commissioned the vendor (and then didn't adopt the work) is likely unknowable. But the distinction is somewhat important. Because if it was not commissioned, then UEFA doesn't really feel it is (at least yet) "necessary."

And just so the original post is tagged. This isn't "put out by UEFA," per the above.

Ickshter and socal lurker repped this.
  21. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Also, the "bubbles" song they are singing is associated with West Ham United, which I am sure the club is not pleased
    about either. And why would a university in Munich produce the ad in English anyway?

PH

22. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad for saying UEFA put out, but the stat still is important, 36% receive "death threats", yea, they could've made it more non denominational in regards to teams, but I think it paints a plausible picture. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a trend among most major sports. Nice to try and put some humanity into the sport.

23. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Well that ad certainly didn't make me feel better about going out to referee.

24. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    And we believe that is an accurate stat because . . . . ?

(And that's before asking 36% of what group of referees . . . )

25. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Kassai has swiftly found a new job.

--

Russia has hired a Hungarian referee [Kassai] who once officiated the Champions League final after a string of high-profile disputes over the standard of decision-making in the Russian league.

Leading Russian clubs were critical of former refereeing chief Alexander Egorov, who resigned last month, over what they saw as poor calls in games and problems adapting to the video assistant referee system.

CSKA Moscow president Evgeny Giner was suspended for three months for insulting Egorov last month and saying the standard of refereeing was holding back Russian soccer’s development.

Russia has experimented with foreigners in charge of its refereeing before. Italian Roberto Rosetti was in charge of the country’s referees from 2011 until 2013.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...30338c-3320-11ea-971b-43bec3ff9860_story.html

IASocFan repped this.