2019-2020 UEFA Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    2nd clip ... shouldn't be a handling?

3. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Upon being called out, the subject decided to double down! Let's see how that works.

4. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, I don't think I've seen a more deliberate handball than that in a professional setting in awhile. He mistimes things, extends his arm, and flexes the muscle to make sure he stops progress. That's 100% a penalty.

tomek75, rh89, refinDC and 1 other person repped this.
  6. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    No... me neither.

We really lost refereeing if that is not an objective violent conduct.

7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    All the off topic comments have now been deleted. I will only visit this forum to ask questions related to match officiating. I apologize for the off topic comments.

AremRed repped this.
  8. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Don't pay any attention to those who "savage" you. You have valid points that are good for discussion.
    You are correct, there are problems with VAR implementation and standardization. Just look at the mess in the
    EPL as one example. Obviously you comment on Ajax matches, since it is those that you watch most. Others
    comment on events that happen to their favorite teams also, as anyone who reads this forum knows well.
    And there is almost no-one on this board who has any match official experience at or anywhere near this level, that includes games with VAR so don't worry about that aspect either.

PH

9. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I didn't see that much wrong (if really anything) with what you are/were writing. While it's clear you're an Ajax fan (I mean, your avatar is the club logo), you are bringing up relevant points that I'll certainly look at when I eventually watch this match. I'm also not seeing that much in the way of blatant homerism, but maybe I'm missing something.

Since I have the Bleacher Report subscription, I have access to all of the UCL and UEL matches. I generally base my decisions on which matches to watch at least in part on what I see in this forum. I'll definitely watch the Ajax match to see what I can learn, just as I'll watch the Liverpool-Salzburg match to watch Makkelie apparently just crush (in a good way) his match.

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Makkelie has been solid all season long in the league. I commented over on the VAR thread that he was twice alerted to SFP by VAR when he initially gave YC in league matches. He went to the monitor and watched the play and quickly came back and gave RCs in each case.

IASocFan repped this.
  11. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    It’s 100% a penalty, but does it have to also be a YC? is this another UEFA edict? It wasn’t a shot on target, and for me it wasn’t “tactical” in nature.

12. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    I can’t say anything about UEFA instructions, but without the handball, Red #19 has the ball at his feet.

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I probably shouldn't say this, but I asked the same question earlier in this thread about the call against Veltman in the Chelsea - Ajax match. It was noted that if a hand ball results on a PK, a YC is automatic.

14. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    Whoops. I meant to type "should be"

I'm not that clueless.... yet :)

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it wasn’t. It was noted that if a shot on net is handled, it’s a yellow card per instruction. A different standard.

It was. The “tactical” provision is actually written as stopping an opponent from gaining possession. That’s what happened here.

rh89, refinDC, RedStar91 and 1 other person repped this.
  16. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    What exactly do you mean? :unsure:

17. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    You need to move on from that game. Get over it. Rocchi was 100% correct. No regular contributor in the referee forum will by sympathetic to your team's plight. Other than missing a careless foul in midfield up which happens in every single match in the world all the time there was nothing egregious that Rocchi did.

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You really need to move on from ghosting me. I was giving an honest answer to a question that was similar to one that was posed several times regarding different cases of handling that resulted in PKs being given (or not) and a resultant YC issued. Now, you can legitimately claim that my language was imprecise as @MassachusettsRef pointed out in his response. What you cannot do is trying to make my post more than it was. Driving people away from various forums on the Internet is bad behavior; look in the mirror.

fischietto, Thezzaruz and Pierre Head repped this.
  19. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I’m back from my Liverpool-London double. I had a great trip and had the opportunity to see Chelsea v. Lille on Tuesday in Champions League. Atmosphere was great and much credit to the traveling supporters whose singing I haven’t gotten out of my head yet.

My traveling companions got a big kick out of me wearing my ref watch and keeping track of stoppage time. I was within 5 seconds.

rh89, AremRed, roby and 3 others repped this.
  20. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good, I'm not the only one who does that at professional games I attend in person. I made a lot of Sporting KC friends at the CCL home game against Independiente last March when I showed that Joel Aguilar should have had four minutes of first half stoppage time instead of the one he actually gave. :)

rh89 and Rufusabc repped this.
  21. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Nothing surprising but worth stating: no Frappart (or Steinhaus) in the CL or EL.

22. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    The two big assignments in Spanish first division this weekend:

On Saturday, Real Sociedad vs Barcelona: Alberola Rojas, Javier (he's 28)
    On Sunday, Valencia vs Real Madrid: Sánchez Martínez, José María

23. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    Orel Grinfeld, István Kovács, Slavko Vinčić have been promoted to UEFA Elite. No other category revisions besides new FIFA referees.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vincic, I get.

I question whether Grinfeld and Kovacs are ready. We will find out over the next 18 months, I suppose. I wonder if either will get a UCL knockout match now.

25. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    #725 gaolin, Dec 13, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Javier Alberola is 28! Started at La Liga when he was 26. Wow, what a journey.

[​IMG]

Hard to believe I'm a year younger than this man. He's built like a tank, though.

(His career path)
    upload_2019-12-13_13-54-11.png