2019-2020 UEFA Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm hoping for a complicated VAR call in the PSG-Madrid match just to see how the EPL team performs.;)

IASocFan and Thezzaruz repped this.
  2. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not surprised at all that Makkelie gets a pretty high-profile group stage opener. Is Kuipers still injured (I believe I saw that somwhere, but not sure yet), or has he retired from the FIFA list? I thought he was in the 45-year-old range, so I'm not sure what his status is at the moment.

3. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Im not sure what you mean by real charisma. if you mean stature and overall command presence I agree with you. I think Taylor follows the referee tree in styles closer to Atkinson then he does Clattenburg. I think mike Oliver follows more clattenburg. Both styles can be effective I just think for UEFA competitions they favor Taylor more, which you noted. Im sure the backlash from the Juventus/Real Madrid match is still being felt.

Im curious if the assistants factor in at all. Bc I believe Gary beswick and Adam nunn (can't remember Taylor's AR2) are way more consistent than Stuart Burt and Simon Bennet.

Also Anthony Taylor doesn't have a rubbish bin instead of a heart.

Ghastly Officiating repped this.
  4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve learned that Kuipers has now made it a habit of taking vacation in August and starting his season later. He has that luxury. So you’ll see him in MD 2 or 3. Remember even the top refs usually only work half the match days. So missing the opening week isn’t an issue.

On the other hand, I’ve seen it reported that Turpin failed the UEFA written test when first administered. I’m interested in the veracity of that claim and the process for such things. Any insight, @allan_park ? Figured you’d have the best chance of knowing.

5. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    I suspect that UEFA requires more than 70% on such a test.

6. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Selected EL appointments:

PSV - Sporting CP: KRUZLIAK (SVK)
    Rennes - Celtic: SANCHEZ MARTINEZ (ESP)
    Cluj - Lazio: STEFANSKI (POL)
    Frankfurt - Arsenal: MASSA (ITA)
    Porto - Young Boys: TREIMANIS (LVA)
    Rangers - Feyenoord: KASSAI (HUN)
    Roma - Basaksehir: ESTRADA FERNANDEZ (ESP)
    Wolves - Braga: KEHLET (DEN)
    Partizan - Alkmaar: GUIDA (ITA)
    Man United - Astana: LETEXIER (FRA)

IASocFan and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  7. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Really remarkable how far Kassai has fallen. From the CL Final, World Cup semi-final, CL semi-finals, to the backwaters of the Europa League.

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, it's one of the more marquee UEL matches. He got two UCL group stage matches last year and I'd expect he gets one or two this year.

But your overall point stands and it is remarkable. He's really the only referee that I can recall recently who was at the elite echelons of the Elite and slid pretty far before retiring. There are others who made it to near the top and then fell (like Moen). But no one has reached the pinnacle like him, had his form fall, and then kept on despite getting much lower-profile assignments. Eriksson started to slide a little but even he had a UCL knockout match in his last season--I doubt Kassai will get that.

9. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    There is probably a case to be made that he rose almost too quickly. He did a World Cup semi-final and CL Final before he was 35 where most are getting those assignments at there late 30s or early 40s if they are really lucky.

The World Cup semi-final appointment he earned on performance in South Africa, but he was too young to get the 2011 CL Final. In hindsight, Collina and UEFA should have waited a year or two before giving it to him.

He pretty much reached the pinnacle of refereeing before he was 35 and still had 10 years to go.

Really hard to maintain that level of performance.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  10. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    Without talking about each name, I heard that over a score of referees (M&F) failed the test and it should be fairly obvious who looking at CL/EL qualification appointments.

Kassai got injured at the weekend and is replaced by Antonio Mateu Lahoz in the Rangers - Feyenoord game.

IASocFan and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    54' in Milan we had an OFR to turn a yellow card to an SFP red. Honestly, it wasn't even close. That type of challenge is never given as SFP at this level. Shocked the VAR called for an OFR. If that had been given as a red in MLS, I think there would have been an OFR to turn it to yellow as a clear error.

Not the best start in the group stages

12. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    I get why that’s not a red, but I want it to be. Full contact at high speed into the plant foot. I know the attacker’s saved because his leg is bent and no contact with the foot/studs, but to me that’s a possible leg breaker.

13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't mind red in theory. But in the UCL that would have been so out of whack with what the standards have been that it would have been borderline laughable. Nobody--and I mean nobody--was looking for or expected a red.

More importantly, even if you think it should be red, there's no way--in any professional competition--you can say yellow is "clearly wrong" there.

Thezzaruz and rh89 repped this.
  14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meanwhile in London...

https://streamable.com/wz20x

Look, I get an argument that the player may not have realized the Chelsea player would run through the challenge and therefore you could argue only going yellow isn't clearly wrong. I get it. But juxtapose this, with no VAR send down against the Inter incident (video hopefully forthcoming) which did get sent down, and you have a clear matchday one example of the "clearly wrong" standard being completely arbitrary.

I bet Cakir would have gone red if he saw this again. But he didn't get the chance because the VAR felt yellow was defensible.

Meanwhile, Buquet re-watched an incident where he right stuck to a yellow even though his VAR recommended red.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  15. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I saw this in real-time I think Cakir was trying to get out of the way and was in one of those rare too close to play moments. I initially thought yellow was sufficient and then I saw the amount of force and mode of contact and it leans me a bit more red. It's unfortunate too because Mason mount has scored in 3 of Chelsea's 5 games in the PL this season. He left the match unable to continue...

16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VAR just upheld a penalty in Napoli-Liverpool that was a total dive from what I saw. Napoli attacker dragged both legs through the ground and falls into the contact. Even then, the contact was minimal. I cannot believe that got upheld.

I hate this. How do you uphold that and then send down other things? It's just re-refereeing.

17. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #317 frankieboylampard, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Chelsea v. Valencia. Such a tough penalty claim. From a supporter standpoint I want that PK but from a referee standpoint I never call that.

And Barkley misses PK. Lolz ‍♂️

18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here’s this penalty.

https://streamable.com/2uqhd

19. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    The 2016 UCL Final and Euro Final referee says it's a penalty :D

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-Robertson-referee-Felix-Brych-got-right.html

20. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    My view regarding the interesting incidents last night:

I agree with Clattenburg, correct penalty by Brych that was correctly supported by Dankert. The crucial replay is between 16s and 18s - LIV player's left leg impedes NAP player's right leg: foul. All other replays only show NAP player's left leg and indeed point towards a simulation, and I guess seeing 4/5 angles like that give someone a confirmation bias that it was no foul. Quite tricky situation though that was probably solved more by intuition than perception by Brych on the pitch.

For my taste CHE player's injury after the tackle in 9' can be summarised: very painful bad luck. VAL totally cleanly plays the ball and his opponent's leg just happens to be there. For sure, the contact is of a SFP nature, no doubts about that, but I don't think that VAL player can be blamed for this piece of misfortune (it was quite 'weird' place for opponent to be, if you know what I mean). If we want to assess all such incidents as RCs, I have no problem with that, but I think a YC is the fairest / most common-sensical solution.
    I would contrast that to potentially comparable situation in LIV-NAP last season, where Skomina should have sent off Van Dijk for SFP - that time it was clear that playing the ball would also mean hitting NAP player by tackling across him. On another note, if there was a leg break, UEFA would want a RC there according to their instructions...

I don't have such a big problem with the OFR that Letexier called Buquet for. SLA player's leg is caught on both sides by INT player's knees high up his shin. My view is that being hit like that with knees at force is just as dangerous as studs, and especially 'trapping' his opponent's leg could cause serious injury, particularly on the standing leg. I would rather praise Letexier for intervening against the background of UEFA allowing brutal tackles unpunished nowadays than criticise him. I would evaluate that scene as RC-SFP, though also seeing why Buquet did not change his decision.

And allowing goalkeepers off-the-line has become almost parodical now, I never thought I would see the day that FIFA applies the LotG better than UEFA in Busacca era.

21. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    It’s pretty telling zero Liverpool players went to argue the call with Brych. Surely professional players know a “total dive” when they see one and would be informing Brych of such. Guess it wasn’t a dive then, or at least an acceptable penalty.

22. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    That’s not a natural movement of the right leg for the Napoli player. He drags and extends his leg at an awkward angle to ensure that contact is made with the defender who has done a good job of avoiding contact until that point.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m usually the first to point to this as evidence. But I don't think it applies here for a few reasons. Mainly, it's just a really good dive. The only person who could be sure it's not a penalty, other than the attacker, is Robertson. No one else is nearby or close enough to be sure of what actually happened and when--if at all--the contact occurred. From any sort of distance--such as from Brych's distance and angle--it looks like a penalty.

Another factor is these players know Brych. Dissent with Brych doesn't work. You've also got VAR--not entirely trusted yet, but a bit of a safety net. For a variety of reasons, I can see why Brych doesn't get surrounded or mobbed here.

But the point of VAR is to get the call right. I don't think the video lies here. I mean, do you watch that video and believe it's a penalty?

24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just disagree. I've read and heard the arguments for a penalty. And I think in the pre-VAR days, this gets a "well, there's contact so it's a defensible call." But this is essentially expert simulation for me. He knows where the ball is going to go (way back up toward midfield), he knows he has no support in the penalty area (which is almost pointless, because he's not going to hold the ball) and he knows that the cutback is going to create a situation where this will look like a foul if he goes down.

I understand your argument. All I'm saying is that it's incongruous for this to not get a review and then for there to be a review in Milan. The yellow card here is barely defensible for the reasons you point out (and, again, if there's a broken leg UEFA wants red). In Milan, yellow is the expected call and red would be a big stretch. So seeing the less serious incident get reviewed and not have this reviewed just seems like a bad start.

In theory, I can see an argument for SFP. But it's just not consistent with the way SFP has been called in the UCL. So to use VAR to introduce a call that otherwise hadn't existed in the competition goes against the idea of "clearly wrong."

Agreed. The non-call in Dortmund shows that UEFA is just not going to call encroachment--either that, or the VAR didn't understand the instruction. Not a good start there, either.

25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rocchi was very good from what I saw.

fischietto repped this.