2019/2020 Euro Leagues

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kyle Crew, Jul 21, 2019.

1. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That's unfortunate. Not too many 19 year olds in history have had their best games versus Real Madrid. Still excited to see him continue to grow into one of the top players in the world, and am thrilled he landed at Atletico as opposed to Barca, Madrid, or god forbid some clueless EPL side.

Kyle Crew repped this.
  2. Alneri

Alneri Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 3, 2018
    Mario Balotelli with his first goal since rejoining serie A!

hangthadj repped this.
  3. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Phenomenal header too.

I feel like they should have put this away earlier, but like every time I watch Napoli Dreis Mertens ends the game with 1-3 less goals to his name than it seems like he should have with his opportunities.

Still, a great bounce back win for Napoli after a rough midweek loss to Cagliari with European competition mid-week forcing some squad rotation. Let's hope Roma has a similar result after losing to some assholes from Bergamo.

Alneri repped this.
  4. Alneri

Alneri Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 3, 2018
    Yeah, this felt like it should have been over well before the half.

Was sad I had to miss it. Hoping Muriel is back soon. He is so dynamic.

5. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though João was disappointing and nowhere near his preseason and Benfica form, he was miles better than Eden Hazard. I grabbed the Spanish daily sports paper As (Ace) this morning, they rate players on 0-3 aces for their performances. João got 1 ace I think, Hazard got 0 aces and played more (subbed out around minute 75).

All the pregane buildup was about João v Hazard, and Hazard failed to deliver yet again. He was really poor. Best players were Jan Oblak, Thomas Partey, and Sergio Ramos.

6. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope the rumors of Jose replacing Zidane at Madrid are true.

7. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoping that it's not exclusive to ESPN+. But if I'm reading the article right, seems like some games will be in regular ESPN. Just hope it doesn't become the Bayern Munich Channel.

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From another thread:

That part about Fox seems straight out of the Twilight Zone.

10. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I've been very pleased with ESPN/ESPN+ coverage of Serie A (formerly on BeIN).

The games that air on ESPN/ESPN2 are largely games from Juve, Napoli, Inter, Milan, and Roma. I don't think you're going to see Fiorentina & Torino hit the prime network, despite how fun it might be to watch. But, all the matches are available on ESPN+, and they have a weekly league review show and the Serie Awesome podcast on the network too.

The bottom line is that if you subscribe to ESPN+, you'll probably be happy with their Bundesliga coverage. If you're just on ESPN, it'll probably be limited to Munich / Dortmund matches.

Alneri repped this.
  11. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Fox's production quality has continually been trash. The only network who does it worse is Turner with their Champion's League/ Europa coverage...which is utterly awful.

Jim Bach and Alneri repped this.
  12. Alneri

Alneri Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 3, 2018
    Oof. First champions league appearance has started with an embarrassment at the hands of Dinamo Zagreb and a loss at the death to Shakhtar. Still having to play Man City twice.

Atalanta is gonna need some killer performances and a little help to get out of this hole.

13. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not one for pre and post game shows for any channel or any sport. The only thing that I don't like about ESPN+ is the downtime during halftime of the games they play. You'll get the random stat sheet or some highlights of the first half but that's it. I wish they could show highlights of other games at that time.

14. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I've said it elsewhere and I'm certainly not the first to say it, but Pochettino is a prime example of what happens when you stay somewhere too long. That said, as a Roma fan I can attest that giving up 7 in the UCL is a badge of honor.

In other UCL news, good to see Joao Felix and Atletico get back on track after disappointing Kyle a few days ago. Juventus and City take care of business. And it's hard to see Atalanta finding a way back after throwing away a point giving up that 95th minute goal.

All eyes today will be on St Peterberg as Benfica absolutely needs a result against Zenit or they are looking at another tragic Champions League campaign. Other less enticing matches today include Inter vs Barcelona and few others.

15. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American coaching icon Jesse Marsch has a big one with Red Bull today, facing some crappy EPL side I think.

hangthadj repped this.
  16. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Another in an unending string of awful performances for Benfica on the European stage yesterday. Another in an unending string of Conte disappointments in the Champions League.

And oh, Virgil van Djik made to look a fool by a bunch of Austrian farmers managed by Jesse Marsch.

17. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Gladbach goes top of the table this morning!! But a match away with the false Borussia looms next time out--in two weeks.

19. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Fox losing the Bundesliga to espn+ next year, is it safe to assume that Fox have given up on soccer? Next season they will have to European league rights. As far as I know, all they have is MLS Sunday night games, a share of US internationals, and World Cup 2026. Did they get so badly burned by the US not making the last WC that they just said fvck it and gave up? Sure seems that way.

20. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  21. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Valencia.

Kyle Crew and hangthadj repped this.
  22. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just assumed they were freeing up funds to throw at the Champions League. How long is it with Turner?

23. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turner has the CL for 3 seasons, ending with the 2020 / 2021 season. I’ve heard rumblings that ESPN might be interested in reacquiring the CL as well, putting it on ESPN+, with I’m sure at least a couple games on actual TV each matchday, including semis and final.

24. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BYW, anyone here heard of or use Fanatiz? I just found out about it while I was on vacation in Europe, and haven’t had a chance to try it yet. It gives you streaming authentication for BeIN, GolTV, and some other channels. So that means there is a way to solely stream La Liga, Ligue 1, Liga Nos, Copa Libertadors, and more, in the US. I’m definitely gonna give it a try after the international break, I’m pretty pumped about this. Finally a way to watch La Liga without jumping through a million legally dubious hoops :D

25. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rooney/Vardy fun on twitter today is pretty epic. Have yourself a look.